Multi-instrumentalists

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you want to play more than one instrument?

Yes, I plan to play them all.
8%
Yes, I don't plan to play them all but 15 would be good.
38%
Yes, maybe fiddle, oh and guitar, oh and concertina.
24%
Yes, I'd like one more instrument.
23%
No, I'd really like to concentrate on one thing.
6%

Total votes: 78

ErikT
antispam: No

Multi-instrumentalists

Post by ErikT »

I play the silver and wood flutes, whistle and bodhran. I own a guitar, piano, 2 fiddles, banjo, harmonicas, melodicas ... you get the idea. I'm pretty conscientious about practicing the first three, but sometimes I want to be able to play my guitar, for example. However, for me, when I begin to focus on another instrument (outside of the woodwind/drum category) it seems to negatively impact my abilities on my main instruments.

Now, perhaps this fits into "duh" category. But...

The multi-instrument mentality seems to be particularly strong among trad musicians. So this has got me to wondering, in part thanks to the "do you still whistle" post, do you think that playing multiple instruments is a good thing or is it a distraction from really learning to play one instrument well?

Erik
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

I mainly play whistle, but I want to learn to play a few others, including fiddle, guitar and mandolin. I have a guitar and a fiddle (both gifts from my dad), but I haven't had time to pursue learning them. Plus, I'm not really tied into the music scene around here (Seattle area), so I haven't found a teacher for fiddle or guitar (or whistle, for that matter). Some day...

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

can't really "vote" with the choices offered.....

I "noodle" on whistle. My main instrument is mountain dulcimer - which goes well with whistle since they are both diatonic. But, I don't play "regular" dulcimer - I play all bass (or baritone or low G) - Tom plays the "regular". Tom also just got the "dulcinator" - a mountain dulcimer with a resonator head that you play with a slide. And I'm talking to someone about building me a bowed dulcimer that would be voiced like a cello.
As several can attest because this question comes up on Everything Dulcimer occasionally - I don't just have Whoa, I also have DAd - dulcimer aquisition disease. Tom and I now own 18 between us. Plus I have 2 hammered dulcimers, 2 bodhrans, and we've got numerous harmonicas, re&^*$ers, a rub board, a dumbek, an ocean drum, a guitar (not played at all) a balalika, a mandolin (my dad's) and a piano.

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I didn't vote, because none of the options seemed to fit my situation.

I've played guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, and bass in bands---mostly Bluegrass. I also play at autoharp, Appalachian dulcimer, Taishogoto, Irish flute, and erhu.

When I went to Ft. Bragg in 1974, I got into a band with a very good fiddle player, so I quit playing the fiddle. I can barely get a tune out of mine now.

When I went to Ft. Lewis in 1980, I got into a band with a superb banjo player, so I quit playing the banjo except very casually. This is where I first played bass in a band, not because I wanted to, but because I owned a bass. I traded my 5-string for a silver flute in about 1989. After about a year, I decided the flute was too hard, so I traded it for a guitar amp.

After I left Ft. Lewis in 1982, I never played bass again. I finally sold mine just before we moved.

Over the past 15 years or so, I've cut way back on the mandolin. I can still play, but it takes a while to get back into it, and I've lost a few tunes. I never practice it, and have only played it when the gal who played mandolin with me had to play guitar for some particular song.

The point of all this is that I felt that I was spreading myself too thin, so I was happy to drop the instruments that I didn't need for bands, one-by-one, until I got back down where I started, with the guitar.

I'm no longer able to play in bands, so I started on the whistle a year ago. I've also acquired an Irish flute, but still find it physically painful--which is one thing that's held me back from getting back to the fiddle. I like the sound of the whistle well enough that I'm not sure that the better control that's supposedly available with the flute is worth the pain of getting to the point that I have that kind of control.

I suspect that I'll stick with just the guitar and the whistle from now on. After almost 45 years, the guitar is pretty much second nature, so the only thing that needs actual practice is the whistle. (Well, I did get a Roy Rogers slide guitar instruction video last year. I suppose that qualifies as one more instrument.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

As has been pointed out, your choices don't fit those of us who do play more than one instrument ("plan to", "want to"). Aside from whistle I play GHB/Scottish smallpipe, recorder, bodhrán, piano, a bit of anglo concertina, melodeon, rhythym guitar, & vocal chords.

Cheers,
David
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I voted for 15 although I'm not too sure how you count. Do I count high and low whistle as one or two? I guess two because I count mandolin and bouzouki as separate instruments and the differences are parallel. I only count guitar once, even though my accoustic and electric technique are very different and slide something else again. And what about fretful and fretless bass? And Boehm system and simple system flute?

To those, however you count them, add keyboards, concertina, harmonica, melodica, saxophone, recorder and a variety of frame drums.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Even before I took up whistle collecting, we had enough instruments for an early classical orchestra -- not the same instruments, but enough. I play mostly keyless flute, a little 4-key and 8-key, and whistle. I'm also fluent on mountain dulcimer and clarinet. I dabble on bodhran and humle (a Swedish dulcimer). I've played quite a bit of lever harp, too, but never got any good. That's one thing I plan on taking up in retirement.

I think I belong playing flute and dulcimer; those are the instruments I've spent the most time on.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I also already play more than one instrument but there are others I would like to learn (mando, fiddle).
But I would agree with those who have already noted that when you dedicate time to one instrument, proficiency in the others falls off. I started concentrating on the mando this fall but then got a gig that required whistle so focused on that. Now all the mando stuff is rusty.

I guess you have to decide what you want. Do you want to be average on a lot of instruments or do you want to be really good at one or two?
There are a few instrument combinations that complement each other so that you can probably maintain proficiency on both, such as flute/whistle or mando/fiddle. At least the fingering is the same, although you could argue there's a world of difference between picking and bowing.
The push for me is that while I like ITrad, many of my friends also like Old Time and the whistle doesn't quite fit there; hence the mando.
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

i also didn't vote -- the options are a little strange...

i also think it depends on your definition of "play". i know a couple of chords on guitar, can noodle around on pentatonics and play some slide licks in open G or D, but if anybody asks me if i play guitar, i say no -- because to me that doesn't constitute playing.

i can play root-fifth on bass and in some bands that's all the bass player's doing most of the time -- but i don't claim to be a bass player.

i've been through periods of noodling away at various instruments during my life, but there's maybe one or two instruments i could really say i have put in enough time on to be able to pick it up with a minimal amount of preparation and sit in with other people of average folk musical skill (yeah i know, now define "average" and "folk") and not feel like i was embarassing myself. but i can get a tune or two out of a lot of different instruments.

now if you're talking Itrad, maybe whistle... maybe... :roll:
Last edited by rh on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is no end to the walking
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I used to play a bit on all sorts of instruments, busking away my late teenage years, banjos, dulcimers, mandolin, binou, hurdy gurdy, accordeon and a spate of bodhran. When I took up the pipes I gave that all up t obe able to really play the one instrument, and I have stuck to that for over twenty years. Over the past eight years or so I have been playing the whistle more, using that to play out. last summer i ran into Hammy Hamilton and on the spur of the moment bought a flute he had on him, having a go at it. Would probably give it all up if I could instantly transfer my piping skills to the fiddle.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Montana wrote:

I guess you have to decide what you want. Do you want to be average on a lot of instruments or do you want to be really good at one or two?
It depends on the time you have to practice and the aptitude, but I don't think you have to choose between these options. If you are musical and you have been playing most of your life, I think you can hope to be very good on perhaps two or three instruments. But since these instruments will fall into families that embrace numerous others, you can also hope to be average on lots of other instruments.

Session musicians often 'double' on several instruments. They are much more useful and therefore get much more work if they can. They aren't expected to be soloists on most of these instruments. The term commonly used is that you have to sound 'musical' on them. What that means is that you have to be able to fool the casual listener that you really know what you are doing. This is no mean feat. A sax player who doubles on bass clarinet and flute has to be able to coax a good tone out of two very difficult instruments.

Being average on a lot of instruments can be of enormous value to a band. A whole world of textures opens up to a band when several players are very versatile. Also, you become a much better arranger and composer when you can play most of the instruments you write for. It isn't necessary to be able to play them well.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wombat, I agree with you. I did try to point out that certain instruments go together so you might be able to be good on a couple.
I started on flute in grade school then added tenor sax when I wanted to play in the stage band. From there, I added the whole saxophone family. And now I play whistle and in between worked a little on the guitar.
However, I also know that since I haven't played my sax much in the past 20 years, I don't sound very good when I try to pull it out. Not that it wouldn't get up to speed with some practice time. But I wouldn't want to try to join in a jam with some of the local jazz musicians. Yes, I'm good enough to fool the people who don't play but not the people who do.

So I guess part of the question is also whose opinion of "good" are we considering? When I said "really good on one or two instruments", I was thinking of the level of professional 'good'. When we talk of say, Joanie Madden, we are talking about someone who has reached a high level resulting from dedication to just one or two instruments.

I do agree that more experience with different instruments definitely makes you a better arranger/composer.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I love my whistles, but I also really want to learn to play the lap harp, and possibly the fiddle.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I play a lot of instruments, and some of them I actually play pretty well. Whistle is actually a pretty new endeavor for me, but I've been a musician all my life. I started out on saxophone (alto and bari are the best, and I can't stand playing tenor), and I've since picked up piano, ukulele, a bit of guitar (a tiny bit), bassoon, and the hardest of them all... jaw harp!

Okay, so jaw harp may not be the hardest, but it's a lot of fun. :lol:

I don't think I'll pursue guitar much past the few chords I know, mostly because it's just not my cup of tea. I'm extremely interested in concertina, but can't bring myself to spend the money to buy one. Call me cheap. Mountain dulcimer I'd like to try, though I can't say I'd definitely keep with it. But, of all instruments, I want to learn double bass. What's cooler than a double bass player in a jazz quartet? By my declaration, nothing.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I can't really call myself a multi-instrumentalist with a straight face.

Yes, I used to be able to play intermediate-level classical guitar pieces (killed my hands, though), low-to-intermediate level saxophone, and maybe a bit better than that with recorder, but I haven't kept in practice with any of them except recorder (I don't play it much, but thanks to the commonalities with whistle I could probably spend a week or two and as good as ever).

But the only instrument I've spent a lot of time on, in the last couple of years is whistle; with all the faults I still need to correct I can play whistle better than my best on any of the others. I've got a mid-term goal of learning flute, though - maybe this year, maybe next, but "soon".

If a decent concertina was cheaper, I might try it, but my interest level has never been high enough to lay out all the money for a decent one up front. If I ever spend that much money to start out, it will be Uillean pipes.