Do you still whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

ErikT wrote:What are you talking about, Weeks?

DRIVING TIME = PRACTICE TIME!
I actually whistle in my car at stoplights and such, but the value has gone down.

When I was starting out, the wait at lights was often long enough to do several repeats of whatever phrase was giving me fits. These days, what I really want to do is to run through my current tune 3x to work on flow and timing - and most lights are short enough I can't even run through a tune once. Frustrating. Leaves me in the odd situation of hoping the light will be slow. :lol:
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Everyday at least 2 hours. Its a great stress reliever for me. I sit back and play a slow air and it seems to transport me to another place.

But also when younger I was on a drum and bugle competition team. I still hear the screaming....practice, practice and more practice. Then there was the screaming of repetition, repetition, etc.

So I guess its also instilled in me to practive and repeat.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have a Generation D, my clear (see-through) whistle, a 'G' flute, and a bamboo 'A' whistle. All the ones I'd bought I re-sold, and all the ones that were given me I gave away.

I don't play music much anymore, really. I'm too busy with 'life'.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cranberry wrote:I have a Generation D, my clear (see-through) whistle, a 'G' flute, and a bamboo 'A' whistle. All the ones I'd bought I re-sold, and all the ones that were given me I gave away.

You call that livin'? :-?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I play for a few minutes in the car each weekday. At home I'm playing the flute almost exclusively. I still play several of my wooden whistles occasionally to keep them from getting stale. I still remember a lot about them, so I actually participate in topics that are about whistles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I play off and on all day. A tune here, and a tune there. I don't get enough time to PRACTICE, though. But I couldn't imagine NOT playing at least a few tunes a day.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Hardly a day goes by that I don't play music on something. Piano has always been my primary instrument and always will be. Whistle is second.
The others fall in various order depending on my mood. I can't imagine not playing.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I rarely play whistle these days - most often while waiting in line at Taco Bell late nights. I do play flute 1-2 hours daily. I still like whistle, but my family likes flute better (and we live in a small house and it's cold outside...). Personally, I like flute better myself, but that doesn't mean some tunes are just plain better on the whistle.

Eric
Jack

Post by Jack »

Darwin wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I have a Generation D, my clear (see-through) whistle, a 'G' flute, and a bamboo 'A' whistle. All the ones I'd bought I re-sold, and all the ones that were given me I gave away.

You call that livin'? :-?
Yes.
alespa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

I whistle every day, with the exception of maybe once a month when something prevents me from doing so. Right now, I've been nursing a cold, so I find I don't enjoy whistling, partly 'cause of my congestion and the effect on breathing. But normally, I'd probably walk around with a whistle if I could play it without bothering people wherever I am :)

I love it, and play piano. But I only play piano at worship practice at church. I also hope to pick up flute at some point, and even bodhran, but I want to get settled in whistle before getting into something else.

matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm whistling more than ever, but also listening to CDs about equal to the amount of time I play.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

I rarely touch my whistles except when a gig calls for them. Mostly I play the violin and mandolin on a daily basis, even if it's only 25 minutes on the fiddle in the morning before work. My best instruments are piano, flute, and trumpet. I only play piano on Sundays at church (because they pay me to) and flute whenever the church music calls for it. The trumpet is from a past life, and oh what a life it was!

JP
Rosee

Post by Rosee »

I'm not really a serious whistler, but I have one or two on my desk in case I feel like playing them or if I see a piece of music online and want to hear how it sounds. My concentration is on bassoon, because I perform it in ensembles and it's my instrument of choice, but I'm not whistling any less than before. If anything, definitely more since I started lurking these boards.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I whistle for a few minutes most days,usually on the antique brass Bb which permanently resides on my computer desk (now joined by the Hohner Bb that I found last week).
My other whistles(high and low) are played occassionally.I played ten minutes of Recorder last week,haven't played my Flutes in quite a while,and have more or less given up on my U. Pipe practice set .
I don't even listen to much music these days(maybe one C.D. a week).
However,I DO consider myself primarily to be a Whistleplayer of sorts - a rather infrequent one (!) :D
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

now I'm into Mandolin (actually a guitar-tuning)....rarely pick whistles up these days...and I started playing guitar again.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis