My wife wants a bombarde!!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
trisha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by trisha »

Soundproof cell, chainsaw ear defenders, top of your own hill.

We have the last two and I still wouldn't get one. French players of these things who start young end up with a very well developped, erm, chest.

Trisha, Wales
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

At last year's Florida Tionol, John Skelton played his. Marvelous! I think it was the one instrument on stage that really didn't need to be mic'd...it carries a touch. :D
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:lol:

Twas probably them old Alan Stivell albums.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Peter Laban wrote:I have a Camac one in Bflat for sale if you're interested :D if you want to outdo her I have a biniou kozh that I'd sell too.
Hmmm... changed your mind about selling the Camac, have you?
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Wanderer wrote:They are extremely loud. As in "too loud to practice indoors". As in "too loud to play indoors at a loud bar where you drown out session players" too. No..i'm not bitter..
;)
Yeah, it sounds like you have let go of that bitterness :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The bombarde is probably THE loudest reed instrument. When played well they have a very majestic, powerful sound. How anybody goes about learning to play one without getting assaulted or arrested is a miracle.

I figured the GHB was the loudest reed instrument until I played with a bagad (pipe band with bombardes). The bombarde section is much louder. Maybe if I lived on a farm or in Brittany I would learn to play one.

Master flute-player Jean-Michel Veillon started on the bombarde before taking up the flute. Flute-maker Gille LeHart also makes some of the best bombardes.

Get your wife a Bb whistle. It's what a lot of bombarde players use to practice.

Cheers,
Aaron
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Get your wife a Bb whistle. It's what a lot of bombarde players use to practice.
Is the fingering the same?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Just be happy she doesn't want a set of GHBs I paly em and love em but they are loud as hell not only that but they have a very piercing tone quality. A set of earplugs might be what you need. :D
Wjndbag

Bombardment

Post by Wjndbag »

Not a bad pair of lungs, as it goes. Nice smile too

I put the reed in the bally thing, it uses a Highland Bagpipe wooden chanter reed, thinned a bit. and it is unspeakable

You get to see whole new constellations though.

Cheers

Patrick P
:oops:
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

Unseen122 wrote:Just be happy she doesn't want a set of GHBs I paly em and love em but they are loud as hell not only that but they have a very piercing tone quality. A set of earplugs might be what you need. :D
I dunno about the GHB comparison...FWIW, my Camac bombarde is easily louder and more piercing than my Highland Pipes. Much harder to blow as well.

Cheers,
David
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

trisha wrote:French players of these things who start young end up with a very well developped, erm, chest.
Not to mention very well developed hemorrhoids, rumor has it!
John S

Post by John S »

I play Bombard in an Electric Blues band and it always goes down well (I finish the set of with a 12 bar on GHB).
Bb Bombard fingering is only slightly different to Bb Whistle fingering in the second octave in that the flattened 7th Ab is played with just 1 finger.
oxoooo.
But the Bombard second octave Bb is
oxxxxx not oxxooo as on a whistle 3rd octave Bb
I would recommend that she learn a few tunes that just use the first octave to start with, until she gets the general feel of the instrument.

Good luck

John S
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

This is "grounds". I recommend you get out now, if only to protect your spleen from haemorrage (spelling?)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Whitmores75087 wrote:This is "grounds". I recommend you get out now, if only to protect your spleen from haemorrage (spelling?)
Sorry, divorce is out of the question. We can't agree over custody of the lawyer. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
flatlandfiddler

Post by flatlandfiddler »

Bombardes at close range are impressive things. A friend of mine was so taken by her new bombarde that she played it for me the first time in a small room with concrete walls. The physical sensation of the sound vibrating my head was rather unique. She used it that summer to frighten people playing sessions at a local fiddle festival. A bombarde in simplest terms is an open-holed piccolo oboe in Bb. From what I recall, it takes about three highland pipes to properly balance one.