Overton vs Burke ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Butterfly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Overton vs Burke ?

Post by Butterfly »

When I took up whistling 2 years ago I was advised an Overton. In our local store it was the only one available, so I bought one. I now think it's a difficult whistle for a beginner. I had troubles hitting the higher octaves and it clogged a lot. Only when it got warmer it played better.
Then I bought my Sweetone and this was far more easy to play, so I kept my Overton in the drawer and finally sold it to have it replaced by a Susato.
I was thinking that I would like a plastic whistle more, because of the temperature and clogging problem I had with the Overton.

Now I'm considering a Burke. But could it have the same problem as the Overton, being metall also?

Anyone who can tell me the differences between Overton and Burke?

I'm also on the waitinglist for a Sindt, but having read the stories about the C natural I'm having second thoughts here.
So I will have to choose between Burke and Sindt, can't buy them both :wink:
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Without having played either, I can tell you that the metal high key Burkes have a delrin-lined windway. It's a black plasticky material that will most likely prevent any clogging. They also come in composite models, which, I assume, would also be hard to clog.

I'm sure others will chip in on the important stuff, like the sound.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I haven't played the Overton high D, just the Bb. I didn't like the back pressure at all, and actually didn't like the sound much either. I do love his low whistles, though.

The new Burkes don't clog, given that Delrin-lined fipple. The Sindt does have the C nat problem, but another good choice is the Humphrey. I'd say the Humphrey has more of a traditional sound while the Burkes are more of a pure tone (mine have been like that at least...others will argue the opposite more likely). You can't go wrong with a Burke, though.
Last edited by blackhawk on Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I've only tried an Overton low D. My Burke high D is my favorite whistle. Rarely clogs even if cold. Sounds mellow over the whole range. Good
OXXOOO C natural. Half holes well for G#, F and Bb. Wonderful whistle.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The Burke will be even easier to play than the Susato. There's just something about it -- it doesn't take too much air, doesn't have too much backpressure -- that makes it easy to play, even well into the third octave. The Sindt is also easy to play. I didn't have a problem with the Cnat (I have other whistles that need the OXXXXO Cnat); the thing I didn't like about it was the physical balance. It has a very thin-walled barrell and a solid brass mouthpiece. It's not a big complaint, but there are whistles out there better suited to me.

As far as traditional sound goes, the Sindt is a good choice, as is the Burke old-style wide-bore brass. It does have some metal in the windway, but mine has never clogged, while I've actually managed to clog a few all-wood whistles.

If you have your heart set on plastic, the Water Weasel is a very good choice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Let me put it this way - I'm considering doing something I've never done before with high end whistles - getting a spare Burke black tip soprano D, just in case. I've experienced no clogging and it's easy to play and forgiving, balanced yet has character of tone. For me that's the best whistle ever made. Needs no warm up, can be played softly or leaned into - steady consistent yet expressive with good pop.

These are personal choices and you're pitting two very fine whistles that are totally different against each other. Overtons are great - but not for me. Others feel about them the way I feel about Burke. Others prefer Humphrey, Sindt, O'Briain Improved, Copeland, etc.

Oh heck, get a Burke and relax...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I would say a Burke is perfect for a beginner. I find it very easy to play. In fact, I think it's easier than a Gen or an Oak or a Sausato. Maybe similar to a Sweetone. But it sounds better and is in tune.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Danner

Post by Danner »

I agree that the Burke should be an easy whistle for the beginner. I also think it's the kind of whistle that one cannot outgrow. It seems that you can always push it to be just a little bit better. I think that it adapts to whatever stlye you are playing. It's a great whistle (IMHO) as long as you aren't dead set on the traditional Gen. or Clarke sound.
"'Tis deeds, not blood, which determine the worth of a being." -Dennis L. McKiernan
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

I've never played an Overton. I do own a Burke composite, and it is a great higher end whistle for a newer player such as myself. My sister also doesn't have a lot of experience and she loved it when she tried it. That's just my 2 pennies worth. :)

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Overton Or Burke?

I've had Burke high and low whistles.
For Low whistle, I love Overton and prefer them over any of the low Burkes I've owned and over other low burkes I've tried.

However, for High whistles (D, C, Bb), I prefer burkes.

I have two Burke composite regular - D's (one thin bore, one Session bore) Both are great. The wide bore takes a little more wind and is a little louder. The thin bore is my regular practice whistle. It has a very sweet tone and rarely clogs. It has little if any back pressure and takes very little air which means I can get all the way through the A part of a tune on a single breath where other whistles would require 2 or 3 breathes. When the Burke gathers moisture (like when I play outside in the cool weather) it easily clears with a hard spurt of air with the window covered by my finger. I've had several folks try the the whistle at sessions and most like its clear tone. The clear tone gives it a carrying power that you wouldn't expect from a quieter whistle.

I haven't had the opportunity to try an Overton Regular-D but thats mostly because I'm so satisfied with the Burk composites.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I actually don't care for either myself. I would suggest going to a shop which has both and trying them out yourself for size. Just because I didn't care for either doesn't mean you won't.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

PhilO wrote:
Oh heck, get a Burke and relax...

Philo
Yes, I think I will order my Burke and I like the brass one. But the next question is: which one should I take, narrow bore or session?

It's for practise, since I don't play in sessions. I have small hands, so I think the narrow bore will be better.
trisha

Post by trisha »

I get my Burkes from Mick O'Brien in Ireland...saves tax/customs hassle for those of us in the EU, easier to send them back if there's a problem etc. I use Burkes in Bb and F sometimes with the band when I don't have time to warm up a metal whistle for a quick change and I don't want to play wood. They don't misbehave!

Trisha, Wales
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Can't speak about high Overtons.

I went from Susato to a Burke high D (DABST). Never clogs. Everyday whistle. With other whistles, when I miss finger, or slip up on a note, they squeak. The Burke sings.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Although I love my Overtons, I think it's a fair opinion that it isn't ideal for beginners. Burkes do, in fact, clog less. Burkes are more suitable, I would think, for beginners, although they shouldn't be mistaken as only for beginners.

Dale