What makes a good session whistler?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jon-M
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jon-M »

I thought that this topic might make for an interesting and enlightening discussion: assuming the basics are in place, i.e., you know the tunes, play the right notes, can keep the rhythm, and have a reasonable degree of sensitivity to your fellow musicians, what do you folks think makes a good session whistler?
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

I think the most important thing in a session, besides being kind and courteous, is to blend in as best you can - the goal being that all the instruments seem to become one and nobody stands out.
Chris
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Dont play faster than you are able.Anounce your intended set of tunes before playing them.Never play another,s whistle without their consent or any instrument for that matter.Dont drink too much in the vain hope you will play better.Have a positive,welcoming and courteous attitude to newcommers and regulars alike.Keep chat to a minimum while others are playing. Peace, Mike:)
Let the beauty we love be what we do.
There are a hundred ways to kneel and kiss the ground.

Jelaludin Rumi
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

A good session whistler:
  • Listens all the time, listens to the music, listens to his/her play, listens to the other players, listens not only to what is said but what is felt. Listens at the bar during a break to the meld of the players that have continued.
  • Doesn't have to play every tune in every set. Not playing is sometime part of the music.
  • Is there to have fun and to help everyone else have fun. This starts with enjoying the music, enjoying being connected to one another through the music. the good session whistler Laughs at his/her own mistakes as well as others, remembering and reminding that its all about having fun.
  • Enjoy's newcomers and beginners. These folks make us renew what we take for granted. They may lack in skill or knowledge of the session settings and customs. This lack is held in balance with the new heart, the new ear, the new character they bring. The good session whistler is there to rediscover the excitement of learning, the awe of the first time you connect with the living music.
  • The good session whistler renews the joy of seeing the music rise, not just from the whistle but from the session of instruments melded together into some organic entity that is more than the sum of the players and tunes. Seeing with new eyes as the music rises misting the room with magic, feeling the muse's aparition dance around the heart of melded musicians.
Someday I hope to be a good session whistler. Now I'm happy if I just don't mess up so bad that you can't

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2002-03-26 12:12 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

A Good Session Whistler:

a) Has to be able to stamp in time with one foot or the other, but never both at the same time. That would look silly.

b) Has about his/her person a spare penknife to lend to the Bodhran player.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
WhistlerWannaBe

Post by WhistlerWannaBe »

On 2002-03-26 11:36, LeeMarsh wrote:

[*]The good session whistler renews the joy of seeing the music rise, not just from the whistle but from the session of instruments melded together into some organic entity that is more than the sum of the players and tunes. Seeing with new eyes as the music rises misting the room with magic, feeling the muse's aparition dance around the heart of melded musicians.
[/list]

Lee...that was beautifully said!

Deb
I'll become even more undignified than this!
(King David, II Samuel 6)
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

Speaking from a small amount of experience, what I appreciate in a session player is an open, welcoming attitude. Providing tune titles, playing down to a beginner's level, helping someone with a tune are some of the ways to display that attitude.

Scott T.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

b) Has about his/her person a spare penknife to lend to the Bodhran player.

Amen.

Patrick, nodding in solemn agreement.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

One who could decide what whistle to play before the tune runs out.

Or one who can stop talking about whistles to other whistles players before the tune runs out, or long enough to actually play the tune without asking what key it's in.

Or one who actually knows what key it might be in before the tune starts or finishes.

Who, when they don't know the tune or play a series of wrong notes, put their head down and fidget with their whistle as if there is something wrong with the whistle tuning.

If you really want to cause mental stress in a whistle player put five or more whistles in front of him/her and start playing a tune. Just sit back and watch the angst and the look on his/her face.

Observations from a bodhran player/teacher of ten years.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I agree with Scott T that it would be nice to find a welcoming attitude in a session. The few I have looked in on seem a bit intimidating. This is striking in contrast to a song circle in which anyone in the room is encouraged to offer a song.

The difference, of course, is that almost anyone can sing, and even if you don't sing well, you may have an interesting song to share. At a session, you have to somehow indicate that you would like to join in - which seems pushy if you don't know anyone well. And a poor player may hold back the others and prevent better players from really enjoying themselves.

I haven't figured out the answer to this. I only hope that when I do reach the august status of a regular player, I will be able to help others join in more easily.
If I was a blackbird, I'd whistle and sing...
Glandman

Post by Glandman »

A good session whistler....

whistles to get the barmaid's attention and .....

buys pints for the other musicians and ...

drips spit on the bodhran player and....

impresses all with uncanny ability to get a lot out of a simple little tube with holes and ....

really can add an interesting dynamic to a session with some really great riffs and counter melodies and harmonies when everyone else seems contented to play a boring melody.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

What makes not only a good session whistler, but also a good all-around musician, is knowing when NOT to play! :grin:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-03-26 23:54, Glandman wrote:

really can add an interesting dynamic to a session with some really great riffs and counter melodies and harmonies when everyone else seems contented to play a boring melody.

I hope you are joking
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-03-26 23:54, Glandman wrote:

buys pints for the other musicians and ...
Pints are on the house for whistlers that play the melody. :wink: Mike