my new clarke orignal

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Deathtrap
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

my new clarke orignal

Post by Deathtrap »

hello ~ :D
i just bought a clarke original as my second whistle
to be honest i really like the sound comes out from it
120% better than my Little Black

i read about fixing the the position of the fipple and narrowing the windway
and i did both
what i want to know is that the wooden plug looks fagile, what should i do to keep the fipple in good health? (except avoid drinking coke before playing :) )

ps : the smell of it is pretty strange...like rotten lemon.. :lol:
Last edited by Deathtrap on Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I coated mine in lip balm. Seems to work, though I don't play it often or for long. Still a fave whistle though.
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've run through a few original Clarkes over the years. I don't think the fipple is a very dense wood (as, say, compared to the Shaw fipple block which appeared to be a much harder wood). The fipple seems to swell and shrink quite a bit with lots of playing, which is why they tend to eventually fall out of the whistle. They also tend to get a bit of a 'grainy' look in the process...you know that same look that untreated fences or decks get after lots of rainy-dry cycles.

I don't have an original Clarke anymore to test this theory on, but I would imagine that an oiling regimen might be a good idea, similar to the recommended method of oiling wooden whistles. This would, in theory, help regulate the water absporption in the fipple and prolong it's life. I'd also be interested in seeing how a more 'sealing' oil (like linseed) worked for fipple health.
Deathtrap

Post by Deathtrap »

Wanderer wrote: .....but I would imagine that an oiling regimen might be a good idea..
does it mean soaking the wood in oil?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Um. Is this supposed to be funny?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Martin Milner wrote:I coated mine in lip balm.
I used candle wax--just rubbed it on. At least it makes it feel better against my lower lip.

For a while, I was soaking mine in water for a couple of minutes to tighten it up, but I don't play it much anymore, either.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Deathtrap wrote:
Wanderer wrote: .....but I would imagine that an oiling regimen might be a good idea..
does it mean soaking the wood in oil?
It is often recommended that wooden whistles be oiled to prevent cracking. Oil helps regulate the absorption and release of moisture.

When I've owned wooden whistles, I've generally used a swab to oil the bore. I'd imagine it would be difficult to oil a fipple this way..perhaps dipping the fipple in oil, and leaving it set in such a way so as to completely drain would work. In the past, I've used 5 parts olive oil, one part sweet almond oil, and the goo from one vitamin E geltab as my oil recipe. I'd imagine doing this once a month or so would probably be sufficient.
geek4music wrote:Um. Is this supposed to be funny?
Hmm..don't think so. I've heard of people taking even more extreme measures to improve even cheaper whistles (like Generations) ..going so far as to completely re-create the labium ramp out of guitar picks and the like. If you like your Clarke (which around these parts cost about $12.00), I don't see why you wouldn't spend a couple of extra bucks keeping it in good shape.
Deathtrap

Post by Deathtrap »

Wanderer wrote: ....I'd imagine it would be difficult to oil a fipple this way..perhaps dipping the fipple in oil, and leaving it set in such a way so as to completely drain would work.

...If you like your Clarke (which around these parts cost about $12.00), I don't see why you wouldn't spend a couple of extra bucks keeping it in good shape...
ok im dipping oil now~ :)
and yeah i like my clarke~ tweaked it a bit and it sounds great
i bought it for like US$9 , really worth it :wink:
thank u guys for the advice :party:
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

First congrads on your new purchase. In regards to the wood insert. Most are made of a hardwood such as maple or peachwood. The foremost maker of wood insert whistles "Dave Shaw" once told me that these woods are bacteria resistant and that your moisture alone is all that is needed to prevent any damage to the wood itself.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

First congrads on your new purchase. In regards to the wood insert. Most are made of a hardwood such as maple or peachwood. The foremost maker of wood insert whistles "Dave Shaw" once told me that these woods are bacteria resistant and that your moisture alone is all that is needed to prevent any damage to the wood itself.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

The wooden fipple block should be baptized with Guiness each and every day.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

The wooden fipple block should be baptized with Guiness each and every day.
That's so true, Ridseard. I would only add that it should be administered by mouth! :)
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
Stan

Post by Stan »

When I bought my last Clarke Original C I immersed the entire wood block in mineral oil for 24 hours......then let it sit inverted for a day or so to drain and dry out. It has been oh so healthy for the past three years
and has never been constipated whatsoever..........