Tannahill Weavers review - Danu in Hartford

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
franfriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tannahill Weavers review - Danu in Hartford

Post by franfriel »

Dear All,

Just last month my husband and I went to see the great Scottish band, Tannahill Weavers. If you ever get a chance go see them run do not walk to the theater. They had lots of great Scottish vocals and an amazing bagpipe players. Certainly a whole different feel than irish traditional but magnificent. These guys have been around for a long while but gave a show full of energy and passion. I was worn out just watching. The usually reserved New England yankee crowd went wild. :boggle:

http://www.tannahillweavers.com/

Danu will be here in Hartford Connecticut (Univ. of Hartford - Wilde Auditorium) on the 8th of October. I'm really looking forward to the concert. I have not seen them live before. How are they live?

For tickets to Danu:

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketP ... n_val=3699
OR
http://wwuh.org/concerts.htm

Peace,
Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Even though I don't listen to The Tannies much anymore I enjoy their concerts. I'm surprised they haven't done a live album. I haven't seen them since the newest piper came aboard but I'm sure he's stellar.

Roy's banter is hilarious. And when they play a set from an older album it doesn't sound like they just dusted it off. It's still full of life. Phil's flute and whistle playing are too under-represented. If he wasn't so busy managing the band he should put out a solo album.

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, Fran.

Cheers,
Aaron
elarwhis

Post by elarwhis »

The Tannies are awesome! I listen to them all the time. The other day, my roomate told me I needed to get some new music; I just laughed and cranked the volume up. :D I wish I could see them live sometime. They never seem to come to my area though....
franfriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by franfriel »

AaronMalcomb wrote: Roy's banter is hilarious.
I loved Roy! Scots do tell a good story.

He told one about his old grand dad dying in the hospital. He was visiting and while he was there he ate all the nuts that were in a bowl by his grand dad's bed. He said, "Grand dad, I'm so sorry I ate all your peanuts." The old dear said, ''No worry, Lad, they've taken my teeth so I can't eat them anyway. I just suck them until all the chocolate comes off".

That one got a loud groan and lots of chuckles.
Phil's flute and whistle playing are too under-represented. If he wasn't so busy managing the band he should put out a solo album.
I'd agree and he was very generous with the new piper. He too plays a mean whistle. He's a very talented lad. We got their latest CD, Arnish Light and it's wonderful and a bit more polished production-wise than some of the earlier ones.

We had the pleasure of meeting the band members after the concernt and they were very gracious in signing our CDs. It was a real treat for my hubby to talk to his own kind for even a moment. Born and raised near Glasgow he misses Scotland and Scots terribly.

Phil was as cute as a button. He was a tiny fellow but on stage he looks much taller. They were all such nice guys and very approachable.

And elarwhis, keep cranking up the volume and come to CT. They're supposed to be back next year.

Have you all seen Danu, by any chance?

Peace,
Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

That sounds like a very "Roy Gullane" story. He takes old jokes and tells them so that they seem like actual stories. All of the bandmembers are very approachable. Each time I've seen them they were very generous with their time and left no CD un-autographed.

I think the streamline produced albums are part of why I started losing interest. I like their old CDs' grit. Which reminds me, I need to find a CD of album IV. Another detractor was Roy stopped playing the banjo. Though all of the pipers have been excellent, I feel the Iain MacInnes years were the best.

And unless you live in North Dakota, Elarwhis, The Tannies are bound to come to your area before too long. They tour very extensively. Trust me on the North Dakota thing.

Cheers,
Aaron