the newbies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
goldthorpe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by goldthorpe »

Most of the elemental subjects have been

discussed in detail already.

Why not attach a request to the masthead

suggesting that new players with simple

questions go to SEARCH first,then if they

don't find an answer,post their question.
Glandman

Post by Glandman »

Yeah...good idea. Then, the postings can be made to debate the existence of God, insult one another, and facilitate other meaningful "personal" interactions that lead to disappointment. By all means, do not open the forum to someone who wants to "troll" (oops---can I say that)for opinions from "real and experienced people." As a new registrant, I literally cannot believe this board! I'll hang out a little longer to see if I can learn anything of interest. Off to play my uilleann pipes ....invented to trump the whistle :smile:
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Goldthorpe, i think putting that suggestion up front would be a great idea.

I did, however, try to search for my answer under about 4 different words and word combos to no avail. So that does not always work. At least after having done so I was less hesitant to ask my question.
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

I must admit I don't use the search engine too much because I practically read the board everyday, so I might be less than informed in the inconveniences that it poses. Did you try the "search all of the terms" option? I think it'll give you more defined results if you throw in all the keywords you think would appear in the thread you are looking for.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

I have used the search quite a number of times and it actually works quite well if you use the "Search for ALL of the terms" and select the select "The Poststuctural Whistle Board Forum" only.
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

[deleted duplicated post ... too much caffeine today ...again]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-03-16 23:02 ]</font>
Tom_Gaul

Post by Tom_Gaul »

If all else fails in the searching, by all means post a question to the board. I think most "old time" members will be happy to respond if they have an answer or suggestions. Most people are happy to share whatever they can with others.

Best wishes, Tom
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Re my search...I really tried diligently...if you are too wide in your use of the key words you enter, you come up with scads of posts to wade through. if you are too narrow, you get nothing much, and somewhere in all of this, you get a whole lot that does not seem to relate at all. This is not meant as criticim of the search function..I can;t image trying to design a good search tool. Maybe, after all that, the topic i wanted to address hadn't been addressed throughly at all......because when i put in those terms again, what came up but my own post.

Liz
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Lizzie

Don't apologize. I've been with this board since the beginning, and in the 3 (4?) C&F homes before it and the search function here is not good. How the heck can someone search for threads on a topic when they're so new to whistling and the board that they don't know what to look for?

That said, it'd be nice if new questioners at least tried, but once they've done so and been either befuddled or overwhelmed, I have no problem with a civilly asked (and somewhat topically titled) question.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I agree that the search engine isn't so good.

I remembered posting on the previous board that I didn't get Mira Sorvino. As a test, I tried searching for Mira and Sorvino. Got no results at all.

Weird.

[post-edit] this is to clarify that I'm referring to the search function attached to the archives. Somehow the search function for the current board works much better.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tuaz on 2002-03-17 01:36 ]</font>