OOOooouuuccchhhh!!!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: OOOooouuuccchhhh!!!!

Post by toughknot »

Cyfiawnder wrote:Well to make a long story short, the razor caught on the wood "of course" and spun around in my hand "of course" :
Goodnight

I once did something similar. I worked for 5 years as a "professional" metal finisher. As a favor I was buffing an antique boy scout straight knife on a 5 horsepower industrial buffing machine which turned 135 miles per/Hr. ( which I bought from the company and now sits unused in a storage basement). The edge which had become razor sharp caught the buffing wheel. I got a 3 inch DEEP incision and the knife was thrown against a cinder block wall.After cleaning up blood and using an entire box of steri strips I spent 3 hours "restoring " the knife.The owner was very pleased with the results and I no longer buff knives or antique straight razors. :D

edited to add. Jerry, I had a premonition something bad was going to happen just before I (stupidly) turned the knife edge TOWARDS the wheel just to reach that last little spot.In fact a got a sick feeling in my stomach but did it anyway :boggle:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jerry Freeman wrote:You're very lucky there was no tendon damage.

I will again remind all reading this, of something I read years ago in a Fine Woodworking magazine article reporting a study on hand injuries.

They found that in most instances, just before the accident occurred, the injured woodworker had an intuition, a gut feeling that what they were doing might be dangerous. When I was 12 years old, I severed the extensor tendon in my left index finger, which remains disfigured 39 years later. Just before that happened, I had the thought, "I maybe could hurt myself using a knife this way." I've taught myself to recognize such thoughts and change whatever I'm doing immediately.

Best wishes,
Jerry
I have mental warnings about stuff like that all the time. Mabey even every day (such as, "I shouldn't be going down these stairs alone because I'll be mugged."). Usually, nothing happens though.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
When I got my first carpentry job, the boss gave me some work to do on a table saw. I asked him if there was anything I needed to know about using it safely. He said, "Are you afraid of it?" I said yes. He said, "You'll be fine."
I have heard this line of thought before in my chemistry lab.

One lady always followed proper procedure because she was afraid of everything in the lab. It made her tense.

I mentioned this to a coworker and he said that he thought it was stupid the way she wore gloves all the time and always made sure to take off her lab coat leaving the lab and putting it on when reentering.

I stated that those habits are good and you should respect the chemicals, but her fear was the problem.

Any way one or two sulfuric acid burns and he now thinks that gloves and safety goggles are a good thing.

I prefer a more balanced approach, but what ever keeps you safe is fine by me.

PS I have done my share of preventable accedents.
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

I agree with Jerry about the little voice that often goes unheeded. I've had my car broken into twice, each time when leaving it in a spot that made my little voice unhappy. The second time, I went back after about half an hour to move it since I noticed my unease, but it was too late.

When working on a band saw, I try to follow this rule: Never push in a direction that, if I slip, will make my hand go towards the blade.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cyfiawnder wrote:What have I learned from this little exerscise in stupidity? Novicane needles in the tips of your fingers hurt more than the cuts the are supposed to numb
Aint' it the truth?

As I've mentioned previously, I managed to stick the tip of my left middle finger into a table saw blade while passing my hand over it to move a piece of plywood along the table. This was while I was building an Appalachian dulcimer in a US military craft shop in Japan.

There was a thud and no pain, but my left hand was flung up against my right shoulder, and when I looked down, I saw a spray of blood running from the blade, down across the wood.

I was afraid to look at my hand for a minute or so, figuring that my guitar-playing days might be over. When I saw that the tip of my finger resembled fresh hamburger in both color and texture, I went over to the craft shop office and asked for a bandage. Another GI saw me and insisted on driving me to the hospital--about a 20-to-30-minute drive. I sat with my hand raised to keep it from dripping too much blood.

This was on a Saturday, and there was just a single corpsman on duty--and just a moment before I arrived, a woman was brought in with a broken hip. By the time the corpsman got to me, the numbness had pretty much worn off, and it was beginning to throb.

Finally, he brought me into the office, took a look at it, and got the novocaine. Inserting the needle into the hamburger wasn't much fun, but when he shot the juice to me, it felt like I imagine a glowing, red-hot ice pick would feel. It was somewhat intense. Then, however, all the pain evaporated, and I almost collapsed from relaxation. I hadn't realized how much I had tensed up while waiting. I didn't feel a thing as he cleaned it and covered it. I'm not sure whether there were any stitches involved. I don't think so, though.

When I gasped at the pain of the shot, he said, "Hurts, huh? Lots of people throw up from the pain of that shot."

Your injury sounds much worse than mine, Cyf. I've done my share of attacking my appendages with sharp objects, too, but nothing like what you described.

While I'm here, I might as well repeat the rest of the story:

It took nine months before I could even think of pressing a guitar string with that finger. For about six months, I wore a little strip of aluminum, fashioned into a bumper to protect it. There's still a lump of scar tissue on the tip of that finger, and it's a bit shorter than the rest, so when playing guitar or mandolin, the fingernail often gets kind of chewed up by the strings, and it looks like rats have been chewing at it.

The guy at the pharmacy in the Army hospital who handed me my various medications afterwards told me the following story:

Seems his father ran a cabinet shop. One of the workers cut off a finger in the bandsaw. Some time later, a fellow came by from the insurance company to find out how it had happened. The victim stood at the bandsaw and said, "I turned on the saw, and I went..." -- and cut off the next finger over.

I wonder if the insurance company decided to add an intelligence test to its reqirements.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
emmline

Post by emmline »

I once shook hands with a man I'd just met who was showing a group of us college students around the house he'd built all by himself.
There was something odd feeling about the handshake, but I didn't really notice what it was until his wife pointed out that he'd lost 3 fingers over the course of all the woodworking.

Table saws scare the bejeebers out of me...I stand waaay back and push the wood through with something else if at all possible. When I'm using a chop saw I check the location of both hands before the cut. A bit obsessive, but they're scary things.
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

It didn't hurt all that much... honest... The razor was fresh and sharp so it made clean cuts... Except for my thumb which had a slice of bacon hanging from it... Thats what bled the most... I would say the novicane needle felt more like i was being injected with burning gasoline... I didn't cry but I did swear... The doctor said let it all out screaming in pain releases endorphins (sp) that help relieve pain... I screamed in pain a little later when the Doctor forgot to numb up the cut on my middle finger joint. The sutcher needle hurts very much as it goes through un-numbed skin... as does the thread... The doc said oops I missed that spot my answer was "censored" screamed through clenched teeth... When it was all over and done with my jaw hurt more than my hand... They looked at all my tattoos and said "I can belive you are afraid of a few needles" I said "It aint the needles it's the pain... All the tats are on my arms not on my fingers."

Right before I started working on the wood I got the "this isn't such a good idea, maybe I should use vicegrips" feeling... I ignored it... oops...

When I was about 10 years old I cut my left index finger right accross the middle nuckle. It went half way through my tendon... 7 stitches on the outside and 4 to hold the tendon together... I had a splint for 3 weeks... That finger still doesn't work right... When I make a fist it doesn't "tuck" all the way down...
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Cyfiawnder wrote:The doctor said let it all out screaming in pain releases endorphins (sp) that help relieve pain...
So does adding calcium carbonate to the lidocaine ( takes the burning ,stinging , ouch of that injection away)Unfortuantely this is not often done . Why ? Adds to the cost ! .When in the navy I had to get stitches several times for different reasons and was able to talk one of the female hospital corpsman into just squirting the zylocaine into the wound as I pulled it apart. It worked. :D

Edited to add; Dolphins got endorphins , so do cows. :)
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Ok here's something weird... Everytime I stretch my left arm all the way out... the very tip of my left thumb hurts... but not anywhere near the cut... Don't think it's a nerve because i'm not feeling any numbness...

Edit: I forgot to add, I started to shudder when the DOc asked the nurse for a longer needle for my thumb
"What length?" replied the nurse
"Better make a it a 4 incher" the Doctor said.
"Four inches!" I yelled, "that will go all the way through my thumb out and of my wrist!"
"Calm down." Said the Doctor soothingly... "It's only going half way in."
"AHHH!!!!! Ooowwww FFFFUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!"
"Breath slowly" the Doctor ordered me, "It will help with the pain."
"I can't breath when I'm screaming! My lungs are unidirectional!"

Dolphins have Dorsal fins, cows have sh*t-covered-shins

Cyfiawnder <-- farmboy
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Cyfiawnder wrote: Dolphins have Dorsal fins, cows have sh*t-covered-shins

Cyfiawnder <-- farmboy
"Time to muck out the barn " Farmboy's Pap. :)
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

The cows were in the pasture, the Pigs were in the barn... Well the pig pen was in the barn... Now the pasture is mostly a retention pond, and the Alphalfa field, Corn field, and Soy bean fields are a Housing development... Gotta love progress... I just wish the City Slickers from new York would take their progressivly higher taxes, and progressivly worse air quality some where else.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Here in South Central Pa. Baltimorians are buying up the homes put up by the devolpers on what used to be farms. Roads that were dirt a few years ago are paved , developments and golf courses have sprung up and rent is now outrages around here. A friend of mine swore he would never sell the family farm but did that this year.People in the new surrounding developments complained of smell, flies ,tractors on the road etc. and FLY down the road he lives on.
Another friend got married ,tried to buy a farm but ended up leasing little patches of ground here and there as that was all he could get. He is still going after 10 years though.
I lived and worked on my godparents dairy farm years ago in Wis. I hear that people from Illinois are buying up the land there.I guess it's happening everywhere.
It's amazing just how much open country is left in the U.S. with all this growth though.
End of pointless ramble :)
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Cyfiawnder wrote:Well today is the first day in 4 days that my hand has been not hurting enough to type a short message. On friday I learned the hard way that; Razor blade + Metal Lathe + Bamboo = 15 stitches in your right hand... You you guessed it. i was trying to work on a section of bamboo when my Medulabadidea thought it would be a good idea to use a 4" industrial razor as a chissel... Well to make a long story short, the razor caught on the wood "of course" and spun around in my hand "of course" and now my hand looks like I had an argument with a Quesinart. 8 stitches on my right thumb, 2 stitches on the tip of my index finger, 2 stitches on the tip of my middle finger and 2 stitches on the side of the knuckle closest to my finger nail also on my middle finger... What have I learned from this little exerscise in stupidity? Novicane needles in the tips of your fingers hurt more than the cuts the are supposed to numb, and Razor blades do not make good chissels... and it is far better to cut you arm, than your hand :cry:
Goodnight
Hmm, who was it that said making these sorts of instruments was so simple? :poke:

I know it sucks to be injured, hope you heal up quickly dude.

Loren
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Cyfiawnder wrote:"Breath slowly" the Doctor ordered me, "It will help with the pain."
"I can't breath when I'm screaming! My lungs are unidirectional!"
:lol:
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Maybe if I played a "doo" I could have handled the screaming and breathing part. You know that cyclicle breathing or whatever it's called... I only have had two stitches removed so far on the tip of my index finger. Uppon closer personal examinition i have figured out why the wounds on my thum and middlefinger nuckle haven'healed yet. It's because two stitched on my thumb pulled right through the skin on one side of the cut... So now I have two bassically useless stitches there (enter LOCTITE Quicktite Brushable superglue) and One of the stitches on my midle finger pulled through to the cut, but at least it was only the one in the middle and not one of the stitches on the end...

Never hurt myself (badly) making a Whistle... This was the first time I have ever worked with bamboo...