Hello, I'm new!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tinanana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hello, I'm new!!

Post by Tinanana »

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if posting a topic like this is allowed, but I just wanted to say hi.

I'm new to the Tin Whistle, just a standard Feadog D.

I've only had my tin whistle for 2 days, bought it at a Corrs concert. I've been practicing my scales, but don't really know where to go from there, any suggestions?

Thanks!

~~TINA
"I like this whistle-thing. It helps my lungs and my stress level, toot-a-loots and is nice and portable. "

--ME, as I explain to my boyfriend why I had to have a tin whistle.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Sorry Tina, but posting a thread like this is completely outside not only the rules, but the spirit of the place.

Your punishment will be to sing Danny Boy a hundred times--no drinking allowed.

(Welcome)
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Well, depends on you. Have you played other instruments? Anything similar? Not a requirement or anything, but makes a difference where to go from here.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Here is a place to buy a good starter book--The Clark Tinwhistle Tutor.

http://www.thewhistleshop.com/catalog/t ... torial.htm
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

FJohnSharp wrote: Your punishment will be to sing Danny Boy a hundred times--no drinking allowed.
That hardly seems fair....not even just ONE guinness? :o
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

vomitbunny wrote:Well, depends on you. Have you played other instruments? Anything similar? Not a requirement or anything, but makes a difference where to go from here.
I agree with VomitBunny. If you have experience it might be worth it to just go straight into learning tunes from sound files and music online. If you do not you should buy a tutor or find a teacher.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

In your place I'd get the Clark Tinwhistle Tutor (by Bill Ochs). You can get it at www.pennywhistle.com . You can also drop Bill Ochs an email there; he teaches free introductory workshops from time to time and teaches tin whistle in New York City. Highly recommended.
/Bloomfield
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Welcome, Tina ...

The first thing you need to know about the Chiff & Fipple is that some here have an odd sense of humor.

Two more websites you might find helpful is www.whistletutor.com and Brother Steve's tinwhistle page at www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve .

There is a lot of useful information hiding here at the Chiff, too. Good luck! Hope you enjoy your new whistle ... and may it be the first of many more! :)

~Judy
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Bloomfield wrote:In your place I'd get the Clark Tinwhistle Tutor (by Bill Ochs). You can get it at www.pennywhistle.com . You can also drop Bill Ochs an email there; he teaches free introductory workshops from time to time and teaches tin whistle in New York City. Highly recommended.
If you live in NYC, I would DEFINITELY recommend calling Bill. Even one or two lessons (group or private) plus his book/cd combo will get you on your feet. Bill is a really nice guy and a terrific, non-authoritarian teacher.
Also, find some sessions and go to them ASAP. Don't try to play along for a while-- just sit there and absorb the music and the atmosphere. Talk to other whistle players too. Bill can tell you where some good ones are.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
talasiga

big toes

Post by talasiga »

........ Also, find some sessions and go to them ASAP. Don't try to play along for a while-- just sit there and absorb the music and the atmosphere. ........
take a notebook and record the etiquette .......
8)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Another vote for starting with the Bill Ochs set...

Welcome,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Well you have been given some great advice. What they didn't tell you was you are in danger. Whistle playing and BUYING is addictive. Irish music is addictive. This will escalate. You will want a flute and then, heaven forbid, a set of pipes. You have been warned.

Now I have to place some orders for new whistles. BTW welcome to the board.

Keep whistling
Ron
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Hiya Tina,
Best to plunge right in. Search the forums for cd names, check out the Clips and Snips website, do get the Tin Whistle tutor, it IS great. Good luck!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

hello, i'm amar.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

RonKiley wrote:...This will escalate. You will want a flute and then, heaven forbid, a set of pipes. You have been warned.
I am a sad, living testimony to this truth. As you slide down this slippery slope, think seriously of getting a "flat set" of pipes (pitched in C#, C, B, or Bb) instead of a D (or "concert") set, so that you can spare others the ugliness. Your wallet is already under siege, make no mistake; the least you can do in the face of the inevitable is think of the welfare of others. :wink:

Oh, and welcome!