OT - sort of - Why Toys?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT - sort of - Why Toys?

Post by Darwin »

Regit Young writes entrancing little narratives about crawling through the Australian underbrush, along beaches, etc. while taking beautiful photographs of all kinds of birds.

Apparently winter isn't the best season for bird chasing, so he's been shooting other subjects, but his writing is still interesting--and his images are still excellent.

The subject of "toys" is relevant to WhOA, I think, so maybe this isn't entirely off-topic.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... ge=9929736
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

A couple of thoughts on this:

He who dies with the most toys wins!

The bigger the boy, the more expensive the toy.

Now, I realize that the first premise is quite flawed as we all know you can't take it with you, no matter how much you want to. :devil:

The second one is quite true though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
glauber

Post by glauber »

Wonderful pictures, thanks!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

If I undesrstnd the question, many adult Western humans were raised with a rather austere view of adulthood. Once childhood is gone, then you will assume your proper lace in the "serious" adultt world. Your toys will be replaced by tools, and life will cease to be fun. Instead, you will settle for gratified. As a character in the movie The Big Chill says at one point: "Oh well, nobody ever said it would be fun. At least, they never said it to me."

I think on a subconscious level, many of us resent this forced metamorphosis, but go along with it anyway. But then, as adults, we find ourselves enamored of something, like whistles for example, that dont fit into the category of TOOLS. So, to justify them, we reach back to the taboo concept and call them TOYS, in effect deliberately trivializing the object of our interest to make it allowable in our grey adult world.

I wonder if a "real", i.e. pro, musician, would ever refer to his instruments as "toys".

Or maybe its something else :D .
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Chuck_Clark wrote:I wonder if a "real", i.e. pro, musician, would ever refer to his instruments as "toys".
Well, they do really play, and admit it, don't they?