How old is too old?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
starman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How old is too old?

Post by starman »

Hi Folks,
I'm sure this question has been raised here before but I didn't have much luck searching for it so: How much of an impact does age have on the ability to learn and play the whistle? I have come to it rather late in life (63 in 3 weeks)and would hope I have enough time left to develop some degree of proficiency. Does anyone have any idea just how many of us geezers are playing and how old the oldest are?

Thanks (I think),

Mike
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough." --Albert Einstein
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I think interest and willingness to learn has a far greater impact than age. If you want to learn, go for it. :)
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Denny

Post by Denny »

Mike,
Its a journey not a destination

Denny
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I am only 65. Not old enough to be able to comment.

Ron
starman

Post by starman »

Denny wrote:Mike,

Denny
I know, I know and I'm having fun but my fingers are starting to get a little stiff and sore from arthritis (not too bad yet) and I would hate to see that limit me. :sniffle:

Mike
Denny

Post by Denny »

starman wrote:I know, I know and I'm having fun but my fingers are starting to get a little stiff and sore from arthritis (not too bad yet) and I would hate to see that limit me.
...and it might help...

Denny
dwinterfield

Re: How old is too old?

Post by dwinterfield »

starman wrote:Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any idea just how many of us geezers are playing and how old the oldest are?
Mike:

I hit 56 in November. I've been playing for 7 months. I've gotten better every month. Now I'm buying better whistles and they make me sound better too. I'm at least a geezer in training. In my 40s I started learning piano. Took lessons for several yrs. Learned to play (really badly) from fake books etc. I enjoyed the struggle and learning, but never got to the point where I could sit down and play just for pleasure. So I stopped.

The whistle is challenging too but now there are several tunes that I can play well enough that I play them just for how they sound and how playing them feels. It's already good enough and I expect my playing to get better.

To state the obvious -- keep playing as long as what you get feels better than what you pay, be it sore fingers or missed notes. When it just doesn't seem worth it, move on.

Good luck

mark
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

If you didn't pick it up by age 4, you stand no real chance of ever becoming good. Sorry to break the bad news. ;)
/Bloomfield
starman

Re: How old is too old?

Post by starman »

dwinterfield wrote:
starman wrote:Hi Folks,
Does anyone have any idea just how many of us geezers are playing and how old the oldest are?
Mike: ....

To state the obvious -- keep playing as long as what you get feels better than what you pay, be it sore fingers or missed notes. When it just doesn't seem worth it, move on.

Good luck

mark
I guess there's always the bodhran. :wink:

Mike
rh

Post by rh »

hmmm
Last edited by rh on Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
there is no end to the walking
starman

Post by starman »

Hmmm, I notice that Paddy Moloney just turned 66 and he still plays a pretty good whistle among other things.

Mike
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

starman wrote:
Denny wrote:Mike,

Denny
I know, I know and I'm having fun but my fingers are starting to get a little stiff and sore from arthritis (not too bad yet) and I would hate to see that limit me. :sniffle:

Mike
FWIW, while I'm relatively young (43), I've suffered from arthritis for years. It doesn't really limit me, except for a small degree of stiffness in my left ring finger (the G finger) when I get tired. Ibuprofen keeps it under control, and I do think that playing helps keep things limber.

With a really severe form of arthritis it might be more difficult, but if it's just a bit of stiffness and soreness, take your anti-inflammatories and play away!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

I think it's Julia Cameron who tells the story of an older student who worried, "Do you know how old I'll be by the time I finally learn how to do this?"

"Yes," the teacher replied, "just as old as you'll be if you don't learn it."

(That's one that helps me keep practicing when I get discouraged.)

Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Daryl wrote:I think it's Julia Cameron who tells the story of an older student who worried, "Do you know how old I'll be by the time I finally learn how to do this?"

"Yes," the teacher replied, "just as old as you'll be if you don't learn it."

(That's one that helps me keep practicing when I get discouraged.)

:lol: That's brilliant.

I've played music since I was child but I still keep picking up new instruments. I know that knowing other instruments gives me a head start but the motor skills are often new, at least in some respects. I like the idea of always being a beginner on something; it certainly kills smugness and complacency.

There are some instruments I'd caution against taking up late in life, mainly those that are very difficult or that require an unusual amount of dedication. Violin and pipes certainly, perhaps keyboards, perhaps not. Whistle should be fine.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

At 58, I am a veritable youngster.

Go for it.

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979