OT - Embarrassing typos

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT - Embarrassing typos

Post by moxy »

That damned spell-checker...

I just sent an email about a Visa card whose mag stripe had been tampered with. A new Visa number had been encoded on the mag stripe.

In my email to my co-workers, some of them highly placed, I called it the "re-endowed" Visa card... that damned spellchecker... :oops:

(It was supposed to read "re-encoded")

I'm sure they're having a well-deserved chuckle at my expense right now... dammit...!!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

*chuckle chuc....

um, I mean, very sorry indeed. Dreadful thing to happen to anyone. Positively ghastly.
/Bloomfield
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

It's much worse to make such a fox-paws in person ... like the time I tried to say the name of the popular toy from the 1950s, "Erector Set," and missed by one syllable.

:oops:

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
moxy

Post by moxy »

Ooh, that's a good one...

It reminds me of the Toronto subway poster I saw once about famous songs that nobody ever gets the right words to. My favorite was "Blinded by the light, ripped up like a loofah by the foreman in the night..." which is hilarious if you really think those are the correct words... :boggle:

Not sure why I thought of that, come to think of it, it's not exactly the same thing...

But it's comforting :roll:
Jeff Guevin

Post by Jeff Guevin »

moxy wrote:Ooh, that's a good one...

It reminds me of the Toronto subway poster I saw once about famous songs that nobody ever gets the right words to. My favorite was "Blinded by the light, ripped up like a loofah by the foreman in the night..." which is hilarious if you really think those are the correct words... :boggle:

Not sure why I thought of that, come to think of it, it's not exactly the same thing...

But it's comforting :roll:
I LOVE that song, precisely because there are so many wonderful ways to mis-hear it.

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/song/b ... ight.shtml

I was going to quote a few, but then I remembered that this is ostensibly a family site. But I can't resist:

"Blinded by your thighs
Grabbed up by douche, another robot in the night."

Though I'm sure he didn't really think it was "thighs".

"Another Robot in the Night"--that'd make a pretty good name for a band!

Post by Guest »

And Mr Byrd, nearly 100 both still fiddlin and Senator US Senate, on NPR today, replay of earlier show, nearly said ' erection' when he meant to say 'election'.

' erec ..... election'
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

toasty wrote:And Mr Byrd, nearly 100 both still fiddlin and Senator US Senate, on NPR today, replay of earlier show, nearly said ' erection' when he meant to say 'election'.

' erec ..... election'
One thing is certain, the second won't give me the first :D
glauber

Post by glauber »

moxy wrote:Ooh, that's a good one...

It reminds me of the Toronto subway poster I saw once about famous songs that nobody ever gets the right words to. My favorite was "Blinded by the light, ripped up like a loofah by the foreman in the night..." which is hilarious if you really think those are the correct words...
The correct words are
revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night
(i think)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
moxy

Post by moxy »

Jeff Guevin wrote: I LOVE that song, precisely because there are so many wonderful ways to mis-hear it.

http://www.amiright.com/misheard/song/b ... ight.shtml
Love the one about the Venusians... That's too funny... :lol: :lol:
jolsen

Post by jolsen »

I sent a resume out once where I had mentioned that I worked on "internet software" and it came out "interment software". Nope, I've never actually written any graveyard management code. Funny part is I got the job. :lol:
John Olsen
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

jolsen wrote:I sent a resume out once where I had mentioned that I worked on "internet software" and it came out "interment software". Nope, I've never actually written any graveyard management code. Funny part is I got the job. :lol:
Could've been worse, you could've said intermittent software :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

OutOfBreath wrote:
jolsen wrote:I sent a resume out once where I had mentioned that I worked on "internet software" and it came out "interment software". Nope, I've never actually written any graveyard management code. Funny part is I got the job. :lol:
Still better than incontinent software :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

DCrom wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:
Still better than incontinent software :D
Or interminable hardware. :D
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

As far as misheard song lyrics go, my favorite is still "Don't go out tonight, it's bound to take your life, there's a bathroom on the right!"

As far as embarrassing bloopers go, our former rector's about takes the cake. She was attempting to chant the Eucharistic prayer (I say "attempting" because she couldn't carry a tune in a bucket) and, instead of chanting "his glorious ressurection"...well, let's just say she missed the "ress" part.

Maybe that's why she hated the choir, come to think of it. We'd been trying to maintain as she changed keys 10 times during the prayer, and when she did that, we all lost it simultaneously!

Did I mention she's no longer with us? (for reasons that have nothing to do with her blooper and everything to do with her attitude...but that's another story!)

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
SwtCaro

Post by SwtCaro »

My most embarassing is another misspeak.

In 8th grade social studies we were reading about the dawn of man, and I got called on to read aloud. I'm kind of a speed reader, and my tongue can never keep up with my eyes. So when I got to "homo sapiens" I said "homo sa{enter male genitalia here} and was absolutely horrified. I still shudder. 8th grade! Yikes.

:boggle:

Caroline