Admitting you have a problem

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
clarinetnut
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Admitting you have a problem

Post by clarinetnut »

What have your experiences been with trying to explain your WhOA to your family, friends and loved ones? :wink:

My story: My WhOA is very minor (so far), but I just received my Jerry-tweaked Sweetone in the mail today (thanks Jerry!!)...my third whistle. Ever since, I've been trying to explain to my parents the reason for having three different whistles (which, by the way, look nearly identical)...but so far they just look at me as if I've lost my marbles (that is to say, assuming I have any left to lose....). Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,
Robyn
Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self- consciousness.
Aaron Copland
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Most of the people I know either don't care or are similarly afflicted, so it's really not been an issue yet. I sent my brother some clips last year but as far as I know he's never listened!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Each whistle has it's own personality. It's like dating. Which kind will I go out with tonight? The quiet sensitive kind, the loud brash kind, the practical and functional kind, the expensive eye candy that makes you look good, and so on and so on. Also, I'm always looking for the "Holy Grail" :lol: But seriously folks, the whistle community is one that I have grown very attached too and if buying a new "smiths" whistle or a new design from an experienced "smith" can afford that person the opportunity to continue making whistles, then that's the way I can give something back. Besides, that whistlesmith might just make the "Holy Grail" whistle for someone, maybe even you! :D Let them jeer...they understand nothing!!!! :swear:
"You have my undivided attention"
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Admitting you have a problem

Post by anniemcu »

clarinetnut wrote:...Anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,
Robyn
"Hi Robyn. My name is annie, and I am a whistleholic"....
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
lonewhistler

Post by lonewhistler »

...my girlfriend always makes some kind of snide remark or rolls her eyes whenever she sees me pick up the whistle. :sniffle: Such encouragment...

My Dad, however, is an avid lover of ITM and the tin whistle (seeing as how he plays it, too), so he's very supportive. But, he lives in Pennsylvania and I'm in Arizona. Looks like I'm stuck with my un-appreciative girlfriend... :roll:
"...patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings" - "Sweetheart Like You" by Bob Dylan
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

Ahhhh, my husband looks at me like I'm loony and says, "you didn't put it on the charge card did you?!" As long as I answer no I am in the clear!

I just tell him I am still looking for the PERFECT whistle for every whistle need. He still looks at me like I'm loony, but come to think of it he's been looking at me like that for years!

I just blame it on my OCD. Half my family has it so they are all nuts and so they all understand!
KDMARTINKY

Explanation

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Whoa....how do you explain. I have been playing for a while now and have built up the confidence to form an Irish bar band and play in public....My family thinks I have blown a swith....Maybe they are right...but I am going to go with it until there isn't anymore spark......
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

lonewhistler wrote:...my girlfriend always makes some kind of snide remark or rolls her eyes whenever she sees me pick up the whistle. :sniffle: Such encouragment...Looks like I'm stuck with my un-appreciative girlfriend... :roll:
If I didn't totally refrain from giving advice about personal relationships I'd say, "xxx".

(Look how strong I am. I didn't say it after all.)

For myself, no one in my family can tell one whistle from another, so they don't really know how many I have.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Everyone has their quirks. I buy instruments I don't have the time to play and my mom buys pre-viewed videos from Blockbuster. She wonders why I want another whistle and I wonder why I can't get her to switch to DVD's.

It does get a little difficult trying to explain the subtle differences in a whistle when they all look the same. To the untrained eye. My last whistle was a Jerry Freeman . . . I think I got the "another whistle?" responce. It's OK, I deserve it. Maybe we should all wear T-Shirts with that phrase printed on the back, kinda like the "Got Milk?" slogan.

But it could be worse. I could have a bad case of GAS.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

The more whistles you have, the more fun you have.
I had a practice habit when I started a few months ago, that helped me to practice more. I would play the pieces I knew over and over, but switch whistles constantly. I got used to adapting to different breathing, and it kept me from getting worn out on the same tunes.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I think I remember a post a while back about tinwhistles and nice places to keep them.

Put one or several in several locations (commercials are great times for learning TV if you watch that stuff nowadays) traffic stops, meet a strange whistler (aren't we all?).

Just no knee driving please..

PS, I live alone in an apartment complex, but I never have had a neighbor complain, even when I practice my pipes. :boggle:
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Robyn,
Explain that its a lot less expensive than one of thier hobbies or collections. For example, a lot of dads tend to buy tools, lots of tools, most of which they seldom if ever use. Another common family collection is Cook books. "Why buy another cook book when you haven't even tried all the recipe's of the books you have?".

For parents with a sense of humor, you could point out that you are being kind to them. You are not collecting whiskey bottles.

The best explanation, is to take the time to enjoy playing, and let them see the joy you find there.

So the best answer is to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
clarinetnut

Post by clarinetnut »

I think they figure I'm a big girl who can do what I want with my money. :D But it's still amusing to try to explain the concept to them....
Inspiration may be a form of superconsciousness, or perhaps of subconsciousness - I wouldn't know. But I am sure it is the antithesis of self- consciousness.
Aaron Copland
clarinetnut

Post by clarinetnut »

Oh yeah....and you should have seen the reaction when I showed them some of your collections!! :P
Aaron Copland
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

Robyn, at 3 whistles, you are just getting started. I just glanced at my desk - 6 whistles are in my 'pen holder', a flute and a fife are on the desktop (current projects), my favorite whistles (12 or so) are in cases close by, and one in the mail. AND I have WhOA lite, by C&F standards. :D Enjoy the obsession!

~Judy

Hmmmm - I don't have a Jerry-tweaked whistle ... yet .... must ... not ... must ... :roll: