My first real OT: Weird Things Kids Say

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

fancypiper wrote:This forum needs a delete post button for non-perfect people like me that hits a wrong button :sniffle:
There is one, but you've got to catch it before somebody posts after you, or it goes away.
Reasonable person
Walden
clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

I am a pediatric nurse and over the 30 years I've worked with kids I have heard some remarkable things come out of kids mouths (I've seen some remarkable things too, but we won't go there, ok Jessie?).

Some years ago we had a couple of boys in a room together... as I recall they were both about four years old. One of them had just had a circumcision with some reconstructive surgery (done at this age because of a urethral malformation) and was in a fair amount of pain from the surgery. Also, because of the reconstructive surgery there was an impressive bandage on his little package with a catheter sprouting from the middle.

As the other boy wasn't my patient, I don't remember what he was there for... some kind of infection for which he was getting penicillin. Well, the nurse that was taking care of this boy apparently went into his room saying it was "time for your penicillin". Now he had been there a few days and had gotten his penicillin many times before, but this time he completely freaked! He started screaming and crying and going generally nuts. It took awhile to figure out what was happening, but apparently this little guy had heard "It's time for your PENIScillin." He didn't know what PENIScillin was but taking one look at the kid in the next bed he figured he was next!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Walden wrote:
fancypiper wrote:This forum needs a delete post button for non-perfect people like me that hits a wrong button :sniffle:
There is one, but you've got to catch it before somebody posts after you, or it goes away.
Barring that there is an EDIT button, which was obviously found by this person.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

Yesterday, a new pair of international students arrived in the class next to the one I teach in. This morning our class pictures arrived. I can be seen standing on one end of the middle row, and our Teaching Assistant is standing on the other. There are 29 beaming kids in the photo.

When the TA sat down to introduce herself to the new students today, their eyes quickly spotted the class photo tucked in her binder. "That's you there!" they noted in halting English. "Yes, that's me," she replied. "And that's your husband?" they asked as they pointed at my photo. "Um, NO!!" they heard. :)

I told her later that she missed a golden opportunity. All she needed to say was, "Yes, and this is us standing with our family."

Having kids at home provides many wonderful moments. Working with 20 or thirty at a time, you just multiply the opportunities. Gotta love it.

Jef
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Walden wrote:There is one, but you've got to catch it before somebody posts after you, or it goes away.
Most other BBS I attend will allow you to delete a middle post, and if you choose to delete the first post, you delete the entire thread, sometimes that can be a good feature.....

AHA! It is the button labled X, it's not labled delete. :boggle:
mcbob
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mcbob »

When my oldest was about three, I learned he had no skill in lying....
I was sitting in our living room, when our cat came tearing out of the kids bedroom, through the living room and out the door as fast as four legs could take him. Curious, I asked my son what he was up to.

He replied," I wasn't shooting arrows at the cat."!!!!!!!!
" No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in" Bono
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sometimes the medical students get one-upped by the three-year-olds.

I was in my doctor's office for a sprained ankle. She had a medical student with her that day as an observer, and she would periodically ask the student questions. Pointing to a silvery patch on my knee, she asked "do you know what that is?" My then three-year-old daughter piped up with "Duh! That's the patella!"

(BTW, the answer the doctor was looking for was "psoriasis").

Jo's come up with a lot of good one liners and descriptions, but a favorite we use to this day is "shooting cloud" (to describe an airplane's vapor trail).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

There was the time when as a sprout I discovered that J.S. Bach had fathered mucho kids (29, was it? 20+, anyway) and I relayed this info to my parents. Dad said, "He must have been a polygamist", and I said, "No, he was a Lutheran."
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

At about age six, Ana liked to count things.

One day she was digging in a flowerbed by the house when she disturbed a colony of tiny red ants. Hundreds of them burst to the surface, zigzagging crazily.

She announced, "I'll count them! One ... two ... ... ... YOU count 'em!"

Best wishes,
Jerry
Sandy Jasper

Post by Sandy Jasper »

I love your stories!

Here are a few of my personal favorites:

1) Anthony, 5 showing me his newborn baby brother. He pointed at the belly button and proclaimed proudly "His Extension Cord Came Off!"

2) My Daughter Tabi when she was 4 was trying to tell me where something was. "It's not on the Dryer, it's on the Wetter!"

3) My Step Son when he was 12 phoned me as I was leaving the house. He was impatient to see us and blurted out "Have you Left yet?"

4) In desperation, my brother (when we were kids) made some powdered milk. It was full of lumps so in a moment of divine inspiration, he fished out a strainer and poured the milk through it. Louigi (step father) found him studying the captured lumps while the last of the milk spiraled away down the drain

5) And my personal favorite. A young man whom shall remain nameless, was only 3 and tugging on he privates. I mentioned that if he kept doing that it would come off. He tipped his head to the side and asked me. "Is that what happened to my sister?"
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

My 13 month old grandaughter has now said her first sentence-

"I know it."

Her mother at least waited til she was in her teens befoe she got to this frame of mind......
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
anticDevices

Post by anticDevices »

mcbob wrote:When my oldest was about three, I learned he had no skill in lying....
But I am being have! ('have' pronounced like 'pave', in response to, "Patrick Sean, behave!")
mcbob wrote:He replied," I wasn't shooting arrows at the cat."!!!!!!!!
My sister's grandchild (age 4) has been known to come out of her bedroom with long scratches on her arm and announce, "I wasn't bothering that cat."
"Mensch werden ist eine Kunst" - Novalis
to become a human being is art
mcbob

Post by mcbob »

My sister's youngest girl thought her name was Dino, instead of Justine, because she constantly heard " Justine NO!" while she was young.
It is still her nickname.
" No matter who you vote for, the government always gets in" Bono
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

When my kid sister was yet in a highchair and discovering the power of speech, one day at the table she announced with a very proud look to us all, "I'm a grill!"
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Sandy Jasper wrote:I love your stories!

5) And my personal favorite. A young man whom shall remain nameless, was only 3 and tugging on he privates. I mentioned that if he kept doing that it would come off. He tipped his head to the side and asked me. "Is that what happened to my sister?"
Oh mercy! That reminds me of another one! When my daughter was about two, we used to meet with a few other parents with children around the same age once a week as a sort of playgroup. That summer, one of the families lived in an apartment complex with a swimming pool, so we met there most often. The kids being little, we didn't think anything about shucking them out of their clothes and into their swimsuits right there at poolside. One day my daughter noticed something different about one of her playmates. She turned to me and whispered "Mommy! Nathan has a NOSE on his bobbum "(bottom)!"

I've never been able to hear the saying "stop to smell the roses" in quite the same way since!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!