losing my religion-what the cluck?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

losing my religion-what the cluck?

Post by kevin m. »

Dear Doctor,
Am I losing my interest in Irish traditional music?
I find myself increasingly writing about Baroque Flutes(mostly in reply to Glauber),and have puchased R*c*r*rs from Garklein to Greatbass.
I was all set to become a Piper,but the pipes have been put aside-I think that I've only played them about three days this month, whereas I'd put in an hour's practice each day,previously.
I will definately worry if I run off with a Chicken!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It's all right, Kevin; it's all right. I (and I imagine others) have seen this for a while, now, and now that you've come out, I for one think no less of you than ever. :D

Seriously, I would welcome more discussion on Baroque music and the playing of it, since recorders and traversos are played by a number here, and variety works for me (plus we'd get to slag you a bit). Heresy on my part, perhaps, but there you have it. Would we risk losing your virtual presence here solely to some stuffy clique of r*c*rd*r players? Not that you're stuffy. And as I recall, you play traverso, too.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

((just a note - the term "losing my religion" has pretty much nothing to do with religion, but is rather just a rather silly southern term referring to losing one's temper and perhaps saying or doing something unseemly. :P )
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

TelegramSam wrote:((just a note - the term "losing my religion" has pretty much nothing to do with religion, but is rather just a rather silly southern term referring to losing one's temper and perhaps saying or doing something unseemly. :P )
I always heard it, "I just about lost my sanctification." Possible Wesleyan influence in my background?
Reasonable person
Walden
ApolloIncarnate

Post by ApolloIncarnate »

A wise lady whom I visit for refills told me once, "Sometimes, good things don't last forever; two people can just grow apart. So please...Stop calling me."------I hope this helps.
B' fheàrr Gàidhlig briste na Beurla cliste.
Better broken Gaelic than polished English.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

TelegramSam wrote:((just a note - the term "losing my religion" has pretty much nothing to do with religion, but is rather just a rather silly southern term referring to losing one's temper and perhaps saying or doing something unseemly. :P )
Oh well,I've learnt something from this thread anyway.Gives a whole new meaning to the REM song of that title.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Walden wrote:
I always heard it, "I just about lost my sanctification." Possible Wesleyan influence in my background?
:lol:

Slan,
BB (a Wesleyan)
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

kevin m. wrote:
Oh well,I've learnt something from this thread anyway.Gives a whole new meaning to the REM song of that title.
believe it or not the REM song..or rather an interview with Michael Stipe where he was talking about the song,was where I learned the origin of the phrase. Well at least where it more or less comes from. It is more of a 'deep south' thing that a general southern thing. I lived in NC for 12 years and never once heard it. :)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Well, I live in Georgia, and I have actually heard it a couple of times. REM are from Athens, GA though, so that makes sense. :)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
sturob

Post by sturob »

I don't think it just means that, Sam. As your compatriot in States that Used to Be in the CSA, it can also mean losing your drive/nerve. ;)

It reminds me of the expression "come to Jesus," as in, "We had the come-to-Jesus talk about such-and-such." I didn't realize that it was as Southern as it is, since I said it here (Canada) a couple of weeks ago and no one understood it.

I think I was trying to say that some . . . well, it's a long, complicated story, but basically, this kid was addicted to narcotics and had become QUITE drug-seeking. I'd been enlisted by some other people to try to get this kid to make a commitment to getting off narcotics, changing the behavior, blah blah, and so I said we needed to schedule a come-to-Jesus meeting for everyone involved. The Canadians, bless them, were like, "Huh?"

It means a big, life-changing whatever. :P

Stuart
No E

Post by No E »

Kevin, go to your room--right now!
Strap on those pipes and don't come out until your b-c-d triplet is clean!
And no Nintendo, either!

Anyone else out there need discipline?

No E
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

No E wrote:Kevin, go to your room--right now!
Strap on those pipes and don't come out until your b-c-d triplet is clean!
And no Nintendo, either!

Anyone else out there need discipline?

No E
YES SIR!,RIGHT AWAY SIR!

Errr.. do I get to eat desert later?

I saw an old friend,that I hadn't seen for a number of years,on bank holiday monday,and as he's almost as obsessed with music as I am,I was telling him about my 'musical mission drift'.
His reply was that you can sicken yourself by too much of a good thing,and a bit of variety is no bad thing.
I'll just call this my 'Paddy Keenan period'(remember he left the pipes for a while to play blues guitar!)
No E

Post by No E »

Kevin,

No harm in taking the occassional break, and I think playing other instruments can give you a new perspective on the music. Just remember that the pipes are a jealous mistress and they will punish you for ignoring them. :devil:

OK, you can have your desert now :D

No E
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

No E wrote:Kevin,

OK, you can have your desert now :D

No E
Yum Yum! :D
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

sturob wrote:I don't think it just means that, Sam. As your compatriot in States that Used to Be in the CSA, it can also mean losing your drive/nerve. ;)
Well that makes sense. I've only heard it used a couple of times, and it was in a sort of general sense of losing one's patience with something. I was just sort of guessing at it from the context in which I heard it, I guess.