The Undisputed Prophetic Powers of Chiff & Fipple

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Undisputed Prophetic Powers of Chiff & Fipple

Post by Dale »

From the Chiff & Fipple FAQ, ci. 1998 or 1999:

Q: Right. Right. Well, let's move on. What other projects are you working on?

Dale: Oh, lots of things. I'm putting the final touches on a grand ballet I've conceived and choreographed about NASCAR. My new musical about Jerry Springer ("Springer!") is previewing in Atlanta and, in what I regard as really imaginative casting, will star Meryl Streep as Jerry Springer.

As you might guess, I made these up, in addition to a few other projects in a similarly surreal vein. You have already marvelled that there has been an opera about Jerry Springer written and performed. That's pretty darn close to a musical.

Now, Beth Walsh has made me aware of this:

http://www.roanokeballet.org/index.php

An excerpt from the website:

"NASCAR Ballet is the next installment of Roanoke Ballet Theatre's desire to create an appreciation for dance through popular culture. NASCAR Ballet centers around 20 ballet and modern dancers (who represent cars) who circle a forty foot horseshoe track that banks around the corner complete with break away railings. Three huge monitors are suspended about the dancers heads. One of which serve as the "TV" as the local Channel 7 sportscaster, Mike Stevens, calls the race live and it is projected onto the monitor. Mike will be joined by NASCAR drivers, who he interviews during the production. Another monitor, relays live footage of the "pit" as dancers lift, rotate and spin one another during the "pit stop". The third screen continuously plays pre-made commercials by sponsoring companies. As the dancers gracefully careen around the track, collide and are rebuilt, logos of sponsoring companies are displayed prominently all over their bodies."

O Praise the Undisputed for His Prophetic Powers and for the Abilities of Others to Steal the Ideas of the Undisputed From His Head.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

the only thing worse than a room full of accordion players, banjo players and pipers is a room full of modern dance. Sheesh! :sleep:
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

"NASCAR Ballet is the next installment of Roanoke Ballet Theatre's desire to create an appreciation for dance through popular culture. NASCAR Ballet centers around 20 ballet and modern dancers (who represent cars) who circle a forty foot horseshoe track that banks around the corner complete with break away railings. Three huge monitors are suspended about the dancers heads. One of which serve as the "TV" as the local Channel 7 sportscaster, Mike Stevens, calls the race live and it is projected onto the monitor. Mike will be joined by NASCAR drivers, who he interviews during the production. Another monitor, relays live footage of the "pit" as dancers lift, rotate and spin one another during the "pit stop". The third screen continuously plays pre-made commercials by sponsoring companies. As the dancers gracefully careen around the track, collide and are rebuilt, logos of sponsoring companies are displayed prominently all over their bodies."

So THERE!! Now ya'll can't say we here in southwest ver-gin-yuh ain't got no class er suh-fis-tuh-kay-shun!!!

Now I just wonder how many "good ole boys" went to that little shindig?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

How do you circle a horseshoe track? That's what I want to know.
/Bloomfield
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

That's just scary.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I am just appalled. Trying to pretty up and bring sofistication to NASCAR racing.

Impossible, if nothing else.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Paul

Post by Paul »

:roll: It's like... shock ballet. :lol: Were they just bored or what? Good call, Dale. Bloody amazing, in fact. :lol: Now tell what is coming next O-Undisputed One? After all we need to be prepared, right?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

That NASCAR thing was too butch to be believed, anyway. Ballet. It figures.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

It was either remarkable prognostication by Dale or, of course, arrant plagiarism by the Roanake people, as the idea appeared earlier in writing. Hmmm....Should be --dare I risk a sports metaphor?--a slam dunk. Time to get lawyered up! I feel a lawsuit coming on....
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I would rather listen to a mime version of the Vagina Monologues than watch a ballet about NASCAR :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

scottielvr, where in the NC mountains do you live? Anywhere near Sparta?
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Hi, 'piper.... we're a few counties southwest of you, down in Yancey County -- Burnsville, to be exact. . . occasionally friends in Asheville ask me, "So...what's going on in Burnsville these days?" To which I consistently reply, "Absolutely nothing." Which is just how I like it. :D
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hey Dale, would you mind making a joke prediction about a certain whistle and flute player from the Philadelphia area winning a big lottery jackpot?

:lol:
Steven
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Hello everyone. I'm not sure that any type of dancing that doesn't involve a brass pole or a "Boot Scoot'in Boogie" line dance will be very popular with the racing community!
"You have my undivided attention"