Which high end whistle has the least clogging problem

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
KCJiang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Which high end whistle has the least clogging problem

Post by KCJiang »

Would you please to tell me which high end whistle has the least clogging problem. Is high whistle easier to clogg than low whistle or vice verse?

Thanks
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Any whistle with a plastic or plastic lined windway will clog less than one with a metal windway... I don't have any wooden whistles, but I'd think they wouldn't clog too easily either.
Use Jet-Dry... tastes awful, but works wonders to eliminate clogging.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

My O'Riordans have NEVER clogged on me. Everything else has and some are worse than others. You can use the Jet Dry, or dish soap tricks...or perhaps also the dryer sheet thing too. All will help to send spit out the other end of the windway and not linger inside causing clogging and tone issues.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Whatever whistle you have, be sure to warm the heck out of it. Even a metal mouthpiece won't clog if it's nice and warm. Case in point: I took a walk yesterday (temp 39 deg F, sunny) and stopped to play for a while. My metal fitted whistle had been sitting in my pocket and was quite warm, and I played for about a half hr with NO clogging at all.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

Alba - the curved windway beats clogging problems.
All my other whistles clog sometimes, but the Alba's can be played from
cold, and perform well everytime.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Wooden whistles with all-wood windways are among the best. Grinter, Bleazey, Swayne, Greenwood, and Rose are constructed this way. I believe Le Coant , too.

All plastic also works well. I've never had a Water Weasel clog (possibly the only line of whistles that I play a lot that I can say this about). Burkes are entirely lined in Delrin now, although I've had fewer clogs in Mike's old style whistles.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Reyburn.
glauber

Post by glauber »

In my experience, Water Whistles are very true to their name and their previous life as plumbing. Of the whistles i've played, they're the most efficient in moving the moisture down the other end and on to the floor (or your pant's leg!).

Any whistle with delrin inside the windway will be hard to clog (that's why they use delrin, the stuff is like teflon, nothing sticks to it). Curved windways somehow seem to help too.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
illuminatus99

Post by illuminatus99 »

my water weasel used to clog all the time, my copeland on the other hand I haven't any problems with.
glauber

Post by glauber »

There must be some variation then in whistles of chemical composition of spit or blowing patterns. I can play my Water Weasel literally for hours without clogging. But i don't have a Copeland.

Copelands have "delrin plug", according to their homepage. As i said before, delrin is a good anti-clogger. And honestly, the only whistle i have where clogging is a problem is the "Laughing Whistle" high D collapsible.
Last edited by glauber on Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

sometimes you just have to scrape out the windway, and the clogging's gone.
most other times the whistle just isn't warmed up.
a drop of washing-up liquid in the windway and rince well, is another trick.

any rumours of clogging wouldn't hold me back to buy a whistle.
Zubivka

Re: Which high end whistle has the least clogging problem

Post by Zubivka »

KCJiang wrote:Would you please to tell me which high end whistle has the least clogging problem.
Eventhough I have only one in Bb, and a few years old, I'd venture Burke Composite.

More generally, I'll agree with "chas": those wood whistles with a wood windway "roof" and plug, extending this to the Foky Silvertone ;)

The worst I experienced was a Sindt A/Bb but this was really easy to cure: just carry around this compact Sindt head in the jeans pocket before playing...
Is high whistle easier to clog than low whistle or vice verse?
Not in my experience. It depends more on how high the windway is.
lixnaw

Re: Which high end whistle has the least clogging problem

Post by lixnaw »

Zubivka wrote:
KCJiang wrote:Would you please to tell me which high end whistle has the least clogging problem.
Eventhough I have only one in Bb, I'd venture Burke Composite.
composite, brass and aluminium burke whistles have curved windways, delrin lined to prevent clogging.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I concur, Burke brass session pro whistles are nearly 100% clog proof. Not so much so for some of the other Burke models, in my experience. Sindts also are quite clog resistant. Copelands mostly clog resistant.