My 2-year Whistling Anniversary--and MORE!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My 2-year Whistling Anniversary--and MORE!

Post by Kar »

I just realized that my Two Year Whistling (and Music in general) anniversary is coming up, this Sunday. I know the exact day because I bought a whistle for my boyfriend's B-day and then got one for me too.

Besides moving to SF and going thru therapy, taking up the whistle was probably the BEST decision I ever made in my life. At 32, I had no musical abilities and had never played anything, although I'd always wanted to. Somehow, I missed that part of being a kid.

So, two years later, I haven't mastered the whistle or anything, but I can at least make music. I have learned how to play by ear (a little bit), read music & even SIGHTREAD, play with others (when I'm lucky) and improvise. I've even dabbled with the flute.

I've taken up the guitar recently--which I love, because you can SING along, two instruments for the price of one.

And now....I have finally worked up the courage to tackle one of the hardest instruments of all: the violin. Ever since I was young, I wanted to learn the violin (or cello) but everyone always told me how hard it was, and I should start with something easier or I would get frustrated and quit. Well, I was never able to find ANYTHING to play until I found the whistle. It was my "gateway" instrument, although I'm sure I'll never give it up...

So, if all goes well, in the next couple weeks, I will start the violin. I'm 34 now, and I know it may take a year to be not painful to listen to, 10 years to get comfortable and a lifetime to get good, but....why not finally do something that has been a lifelong dream of mine? I can't say how HAPPY I am I didn't go thru life and miss the whole incredible experience of making music.

(So....anyone know of any good & reasonably priced violin/fiddle teachers in the Bay Area?)
jenaceae

Post by jenaceae »

Thats awesome! Congrats!! I'm 41 and beginning, so just go for it. I do know of a great fiddle teacher. PM me if you want more info.

cheers

J
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That is so great to hear! I just love it when people learn that they really can make music! And don't ever let anyone tell you you can't learn something new...I'm 42 and just started studying Irish!

Keep on playin'! :D

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
nancymae

AWESOME!!

Post by nancymae »

We live many lives, play many parts in our life time. We are only hurting ourselves when we deny our passions. GOOD FOR YOU!!! Please put some mp3's out there for us to hear!! I have a violin in my art room...it is broken and very old...but I have been dying to see if I can get it fixed for a reasonable price...maybe I'll be asking you for pointers!! My greatgrandfather and grandfather played the fiddle. My greatgrandfather was a boy when coming from Ireland in the mid 1800's. I feel a strong connection to my music playing relatives!!

Go for the gusto!!!

Nancy
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Re: My 2-year Whistling Anniversary--and MORE!

Post by LimuHead »

Kar wrote:
And now....I have finally worked up the courage to tackle one of the hardest instruments of all: the violin. Ever since I was young, I wanted to learn the violin (or cello) but everyone always told me how hard it was, and I should start with something easier or I would get frustrated and quit. Well, I was never able to find ANYTHING to play until I found the whistle. It was my "gateway" instrument, although I'm sure I'll never give it up...

So, if all goes well, in the next couple weeks, I will start the violin. I'm 34 now, and I know it may take a year to be not painful to listen to, 10 years to get comfortable and a lifetime to get good, but....why not finally do something that has been a lifelong dream of mine? I can't say how HAPPY I am I didn't go thru life and miss the whole incredible experience of making music.
Very cool. I just bought a fiddle off of ebay yesterday. It will be my first excursion into bowed instruments, and I'm looking forward to it. I plan to take a few lessons from Gryphon Strings in Palo Alto to get me started with good technique. This'll be fun (and humbling)!

Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary! May you experience many, many more fruitful years!!! Hey, maybe we could play a fiddle duet or something at the next C&F gathering!

Aldon :D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Congrats, Kar. And I started whistling at 43, so I don't think you're doing this too late. :lol:

BTW, Aldon - is there any instrument family you haven't played at some time? (I know you did the brass/reeds thing, and I've seen you whistle, play guitar and uke, and show off your concertina. Now you're starting to fiddle . . . ) When are you planning on taking up the pipes?
cj

Post by cj »

Congrats! It's never to late to do something that feeds your soul.
Kar

Post by Kar »

It's so great to hear from other people who came to music/fiddling/whistling late--or, I guess I should say, LATER in life.

I always used to see retired people who seemed bored and had nothing to do with no work in their life, and I always thought if that were me, I'd just try something crazy--learn the violin, learn Spanish, build a couch, sew a wedding dress. Hey, if you have time on your hands, you might as well do something worthwhile! And I always thought, well, I can learn an instrument when I retire, then.

Thank God I started earlier. NOW, when I retire, I can just learn the ones I don't already know. And I used to wonder at people who knew how to play more than one instrument. Now I AM one of those people, albeit a total amateur or novice in each instrument.

LimuHead--uh...I don't know how well--if at all--I'll be fiddling by the next Nor Cal C&F meeting, but I can at least accompany YOU on the guitar that I've learned since the last meeting!
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Kar,
I am just a couple of weeks shy of my two years also. And I'm 53.
Mike