Brass Whistles--Polish or Patina?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brass Whistles--Polish or Patina?

Post by Darwin »

I have added a Burke C wide-bore in brass (CBW) to my collection, and it's already beginning to darken irregularly.

How many of you just leave your brass whistles to darken on their own, and how many keep polishing them? And, why?

For those who polish, what do you use? If I go this route, I'd prefer something that is neither messy nor smelly (nor, probably, extremely poisonous).

An impregnated cloth might be nice, but my only experience is with Blitz cloths in an earlier life, which I think might have been a bit smelly.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
talasiga
antispam: No

imli

Post by talasiga »

I pefer tamarind
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Darwin,

I clean the metals about twice a year, then let an even patina build up.

I use a mixture of salt and vinegar. It cleans the brass, doesn't smell, and leaves a shiny (better than new) protective metal coating. So some patina occur, but slowly and with an even brass tinge.
The mix is not abrasive and of course not more toxic than your salad dressing (except if you're into these shrimp-flavoured goey californianas :D)

It works very well with a Parkhurst copper whistle, too. After a few weeks, a patina grows back, but to an even, dark bronze colour, gradually lightening up to clean copper where the fingers rub.

See these threads for the detailed recipe (fished out of 19th century books on household care):
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... lt+vinegar
then
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... lt+vinegar
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

I just let mine age as they will. I just clean the insides of the tubes and wash the plastic mouthpieces every now and then. I have a Feadog brass D that has, in less than a year, achieved a thoroughly vintage appearance. :)
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
trisha

Post by trisha »

Worcester Sauce is supposed to clean brass so I'm told....rub on with a cloth then rinse off...

Do you have this stuff in the US?

Trisha
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

i use toothpaste :D
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

Do what Zubivka says.

I do it and it does everything he claims.

There's nothing like a shiny piece of brass.

Mike
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

trisha wrote:Worcester Sauce is supposed to clean brass so I'm told....rub on with a cloth then rinse off...
Sheesh... Trisha, the question called for something preferably:
1) non-smelly
2) only mildly toxic
trisha wrote:Do you have this stuff in the US?
I've seen it. It apparently came only with Bloody Maries in Norhern California brunches.

But Ralph Nader shoud take care of that (the Woostersaws, not the jacuzzi brunches), as soon as he gets elected ;)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

trisha wrote:Worcester Sauce is supposed to clean brass so I'm told....rub on with a cloth then rinse off...

Do you have this stuff in the US?

Trisha
They didn't when I was living in Las Vegas. Worse than that, they didn't have Marmite! :o

I eventually found a small shop in Vegas called "The British Food Store"... which carried Lea & Perrins, and yes, beloved Marmite...and proper Salt 'n' Vinegar crisps! But by cracky what prices they charged! It's amazing what you find yourself missing when living in another country :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

Not much Worcester Sauce in the States? Learn something new every day, we have Worcester and Marmite (God forgive us) all over the place.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

So far on my brass Burke I have let it patina naturally.

I like the look of a well-played whistle.

--James
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I just cleaned my Burke with vinegar last night because I couldnt remember the rest of the formula..I don't know what the salt would do but will add that next time...

Worcestshire sauce comes in huge bottles at Costco. Widely available. Whaddya think, we are uncivilized??? I love that stuff.

Speaking of which, my 14-yr old repeated a new acronym for PETA he learned at school: People Eat Tasty Animals.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

By the miracle of C&F threading, a talk on "polish or patina?" gets transformed into "Marmite or Bovril?" :lol:

To stay on topic, I prefer Cenovis. The one in toothpaste tubes. It's yeast as well, but it's handier to polish one's boots than Marmite. Available in any decent town grocery (Geneva, Zürich, Lausanne...)
Norma

Post by Norma »

Worcestershire...couldn't make decent sweet and sour ribs without it! After growing up hearing my Mom pronounce it ...
"Wor-ches-ter-shyre", I actually heard someone on TV say...
"Wortch-t'-sher"
Any of you UK'ers out there care to straighten me out?
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

OnTheMoor wrote:Not much Worcester Sauce in the States? Learn something new every day, we have Worcester and Marmite (God forgive us) all over the place.
I have no idea where anyone got an idea like that. I have two different brands (Worcestershire sauce) in my cabinets and there are more on the store shelves. If I'm not mistaken, WalMart even has it in a store brand. How much more common can you get than that?

What's marmite? If it's anything like Vegemite, I can understand why we don't have it. That stuff is just plain nasty.