OT--Farewell Captain Kangaroo.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nancymae
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT--Farewell Captain Kangaroo.....

Post by nancymae »

You will be missed!!

Many here will be too young to remember him...he died today. A favorite children's show in the 50's/60's. I grew up with him!!

A child's heart forever!! :sniffle:

Nancy
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Oh gee...me too. That's where I learned Waltzing Matilda.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I really hate to hear that.

He will indeed be missed.

--James
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
An onion patch, an onion patch;
I'm a lonely little petunia in an onion patch,
Oh, won't you come and play with me?

RIP.
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

I was shocked when I heard the news this morning because I had no idea that he was still alive. I remember watching Capt. Kangaroo when I was a kid. It was a great kiddy show.

Is Mr. Greenjeans still alive?

Aldon

My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I believe Mr. Greenjeans passed on years ago.

--James
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Here's the Yahoo news story:
http://tv.yahoo.com/news/fc?d=tmpl&cf=f ... ob_keeshan

Hugh Brannum who played Mr. Greenjeans died in 1987

imaged linked from:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... %20Brannum
riasgt

Post by riasgt »

Wow! Mr. Rogers and Capt. Kangaroo both gone. I found this on the Web and wanted to share it:

Dialog from the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson: His guest was Lee Marvin. Johnny said: “Lee, I’ll bet a lot of people are unaware that you were a Marine in the initial landing at Iwo Jima . . . and that during the course of that action you earned the Navy Cross and were severely wounded.”

“Yeah, yeah . . . I got shot square in the ass and they gave me the Cross for securing a hot spot about Halfway up Suribachi . . . bad thing about getting shot up on a mountain is guys getting’ shot hauling you down. But, Johnny, at Iwo I served under the bravest man I ever knew . . . We both got the Cross the same day, but what he did for his Cross made mine look cheap in comparison. The dumb basmati actually stood up on Red Beach and directed his troops to move forward and get the hell off the beach. Bullets flying by and mortar rounds landing everywhere and he stood there as the main target of gun fire so that he could get his men to safety. He did this on more than one occasion because his men’s safety was more important than his own life.

That Sergeant and I have been lifelong friends. When they brought me off Suribachi we passed the Sergeant and he lit a smoke and passed it to me, lying on my belly on the litter and said, “Where’d they get you, Lee?”

“Well Bob . . . if you make it home before me, tell Mom to sell the outhouse!”

Johnny, I’m not lying . . . Sergeant Keeshan was the bravest man I ever knew.”

The Sergeant’s name is Bob Keeshan . . . the world knows him as “Captain Kangaroo.”
-David
"I'll be right back" -Godot
emmline

Post by emmline »

Fine people both he and Mr.Rogers.

I wonder what happened to Dancing Bear?
U2

Post by U2 »

emmline wrote:I wonder what happened to Dancing Bear?
Do you really? That blows my mind. :)
janice

Post by janice »

This news makes me sad and feel really old...

OT but related-any other boomers watch "American Dreams?" It's incredibly cheesy, but the nostalgia factor is so high that I'm hooked. All those memories of "American Bandstand," and growing up in the late 60s. The music editing on the show is quite well done, and worth watching for that if nothing else.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

In an odd coincidence, I was just talking about him, before I heard this. I was, I suppose, of the last generation to have enjoyed the show in first-run episodes. Really and truly he laid the groundwork for Sesame Street, (whose original crew, acknowledgedly, were mostly Captain Kangaroo veterans) and revolutionized children's programming.
Reasonable person
Walden
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

janice wrote:This news makes me sad and feel really old...

OT but related-any other boomers watch "American Dreams?" It's incredibly cheesy, but the nostalgia factor is so high that I'm hooked. All those memories of "American Bandstand," and growing up in the late 60s. The music editing on the show is quite well done, and worth watching for that if nothing else.
I loved Capt. Kangaroo. That and Kukla, Fran and Ollie, and Howdy Doody are the first TV shows I remember watching. The Capt. was my favorite.

My husband and I always watch American Dreams. It's one of the few shows that I do watch. Some friends told us about it and we've been watching ever since. Now that they've gotten into Viet Nam it's getting more intresting. I do love the music. So many good tunes I'd forgotten about...... I wish my kids would watch. Maybe they'ed understand their old folks a bit better. That was such a wierd, stressful, strange time to be coming of age.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Capt. Kangaroo was before my time, but I was raised on Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street. It's always sad to hear of children's TV personalities passing away, especially when I look at the junk that small children watch these days.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Moonlight*

Post by Moonlight* »

Awww...sad news. I confess I didn't know he was still around. I grew up with him too..