My first whistles! (or whistle stuff you got for Christmas)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Very nice gift from the Parental Units, Paul!!! Wow...and I thought my $100 gift certificate to Target was pretty good. ;)

Have fun!!

Best,
Andrea
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Thanks Andrea. It is a fantastic whistle. I couldn't believe it when they said they'd get it for me. I guess they were in a good mood that day. :)
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I gave myself two whistles from Ronaldo Reyburn: the Low D and low F, and I can't wait to get them. I wouldn't have known how great they were if I hadn't gone to Windsor for the Whistle-In in November. Yay!
cj

Post by cj »

I strongly hinted for whistles, but my SO had already decided to get me a home theater system with a DVD player. Christened it by watching Pirates of the Caribbean--movie-watching now rocks at chez cj!
Steven

Post by Steven »

I got Grey Larsen's book and the Wooden Flute Obsession double CD set (which I'm ashamed to say I hadn't gotten before). That's all the music-related stuff, although I feel I should also mention that my wife got me the complete set of Muppet Shows on video. All of you who grew up in the 70s may now commence turning green with envy!

:-)
Steven
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

For Christmas I got a nice set of Rosewood Bones. :boggle: :o (I know, I know... sacrilege!:roll: ) I have been trying to clikety clak (or is that claktity clik)my way around some recordings.

My birthday is just before Christmas and for that, my sister got me a modest bodhran. (I know... more sacrilege :D ) I also got a set of Yamaha Recorders from Dad (alto and soprano still waiting for delivery)and with money from my Grandma-in-law I bought the same type of melodica that Zub has. ('cept mine is black not blue and doesn't even have a label... just the little square it should go in) Funny thing though, most of the 37 notes (actually all but one)of the melodica were anywhere from 30-50 cents sharp. I spent about three hours putting little pieces of cellophane tape on each reed to build their mass and flatten the pitch. It is exceptional now, though. :thumbsup:
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

nancymae

Post by nancymae »

My SO got me a Native American Flute for xmas!! I got interested in them after seeing a couple of threads here on them...he noticed me looking at them..and got one for me!! Now...my next assignment....making cool bags for all my whistles!! (I now have 3!!--One Clarke Celtic, One Hoover..and my new Native American whistle!!) Here we goooooo!!!! On to WHOA!!!

Nancy
nancymae

Correction!!

Post by nancymae »

I almost forgot!! Along with my Native American Whistle, my sig other got me an Eagle Bone Whistle...something you can wear around your neck...it is ceramic...NOT made of a real eagle bone (Thank God!!)...it has three holes in it...and the music is very sweet! I played it in the hotel we were in this past weekend..and the echo made it sound very haunting! Go here to see and hear: www.highspirits.com

Happy Whistling!!
Nancy
PS...my next purchase of whistledom...is going to be a low D from Mack Hoover!! (My wish list!)
Rick Davidson

Post by Rick Davidson »

My Son and other family members pitched in to help purchase a Dogwood Busman. Now I'm really obsessed... like I wasn't already? I guess it is all just a matter of degrees!
waltcamp45

Post by waltcamp45 »

My wife got me my first low whistle, a low G made by Mack Hoover. Thanks again to all who have recommended Mack and his whistles. The whistle has a gorgeous sound and plays exactly as folks have said -- quiet, with almost no breathiness.

This really hit home when I put the low whistle down and picked up my beloved Clarke D. Suddenly it seemed shrill and inordinately breathy.

Walt
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I didn't get it for Christmas but I got it a week before Christmas: a Sindt D that I ordered back in March. A really nice whistle! Fuller sound than Gens but still trad-sounding. The Cnat is not as annoying as I expected. The head is a bit heavier than I expected but I'll get used to it. Oh, did I say I like it? Yeah.
Mike
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

raindog1970 wrote:
Loren wrote:Ah yes, the signature sound of the Hooters - boy does that take me back.......... I wonder what ever happened to those guys.
They gave up music and founded a chain of 'delightfully tacky, yet unrefined' restaurants! :lol:
Actually they're still together, and just finished their 20th anniversary tour.

Thanks for that Gary, I had no idea they were still a working band, amazing.

Loren
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

burnsbyrne wrote:I didn't get it for Christmas but I got it a week before Christmas: a Sindt D that I ordered back in March. A really nice whistle! Fuller sound than Gens but still trad-sounding. The Cnat is not as annoying as I expected. The head is a bit heavier than I expected but I'll get used to it. Oh, did I say I like it? Yeah.
Mike
I got my A Sindt with additional Bb tube,ordered around the same time,just the other day.
The set is everything that I could have hoped for.John Sindt certainly makes some fine instruments!
And of course,Davey Stephenson personally delivered my Uilleann Pipes practice set,on the 23rd Dec.
Looks like I have my work cut out for me in 2004!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
srt19170

Post by srt19170 »

waltcamp45 wrote:My wife got me my first low whistle, a low G made by Mack Hoover. ..
This really hit home when I put the low whistle down and picked up my beloved Clarke D. Suddenly it seemed shrill and inordinately breathy.
I got a narrow bore brass high D Hoover for Christmas (*). At home, where I play mostly at night, I've been playing it pretty exclusively. Last night, when I want to be able to hear myself play along with some music, I picked up a Sweetone and almost couldn't play it because the mouthpiece seemed so big and awkward in my mouth!

(The mouthpiece on the Hoover is about a 1/4" wide)

-- Scott

(*) It's a great whistle, btw!
greg

hungry?

Post by greg »

why is that man trying to eat a piano?