GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
antstastegood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT

Post by antstastegood »

n. An agreement binding only as a matter of honor; often, specif., such an agreement among the heads of industrial or merchantile enterprises, the terms of which could not be included and enforced in a legal contract.

WHEREAS, many long and contentious discussions on matters of religion and politics have surfaced on this board, and most participants in these discussions have strong opinions and beliefs on these issues, and often some members become somewhat heated in the expression of these ideas..

MAY IT BE AGREED THAT:

WE RESPECT the broad range of political opinions that we hold.

We commit ourselves to refrain from personally attacking any fellow member or political figure based on a mere political disagreement. We commit ourselves to respectful, informative discussion useful as learning and proper debate.

WE RESPECT the diversity of religious traditions that we hold.
We will not turn honest theological debate into a war of disrespectful language.

WE RESPECT one another as fellow musicians and human beings.
We remember that we have gathered here as a community of musicians, and we commit to keeping the community atmosphere alive that we all found when we first joined this board. We agree to disagree on many matters, and we agree not to fault anyone based on opinions they hold.

RESOLVED, this 10th day of October, 2003.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I can agree to that one without any reservation at all!

I do so resolve.

--James
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

Aye.

One of the main reasons I try to stay clear (not always successfully, but I do try) is that all too often they descend from "I disagree with your position" to "you're stupid, and your mother dresses you funny" in an eyeblink.

There are a lot of people on this board that I like, yet have political opinions vastly different from mine. One of the trends I find most disturbing is the demonization of political opponents. Some of the most ardent on both the left and right sometimes slip over the line from "I disagree with this person's politics" to "this person is totally evil and anyone who disagrees with me on the topic is either an evil liar or stupid." No smiley, I'm afraid.

I believe most of the posters here are good people, and sincere in their beliefs. And though we may (occasionally?) disagree, I'll try to always remain civil and remember there's a real person behind each screen name.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Well seeing as I'm not a gentleman, or any kind of man, I suppose this means I can still be a jerk. :twisted:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

TelegramSam wrote:Well seeing as I'm not a gentleman, or any kind of man, I suppose this means I can still be a jerk. :twisted:
Steady as she goes, TSam! :lol:
madguy

Post by madguy »

So resolved, and put forth this 10th day of October, 2003!!!!!

~Larry
glauber

Post by glauber »

This is good in principle, but it's strategically important to have one or two heated OT threads going on all the time. This provides a place where people can spend their anger, and keeps the other threads civil.

:twisted:

g

P.S.: I'd like to take the opportunity also to protest against the humanization of political demons that's been taking place in some of these threads.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

glauber wrote:This is good in principle, but it's strategically important to have one or two heated OT threads going on all the time. This provides a place where people can spend their anger, and keeps the other threads civil.

:twisted:

g

P.S.: I'd like to take the opportunity also to protest against the humanization of political demons that's been taking place in some of these threads.
*applauds wildly*
slowair

Post by slowair »

Orrrrrr......

We could all just talk about topics related to whistles.

Now that's a clever idea.

Mike
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

slowair wrote:Orrrrrr......

We could all just talk about topics related to whistles.

Now that's a clever idea.

Mike
I'll drink to that!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Bless me, Father, what an avatar!

Jayzusmairyanjozif. :lol:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

That resolution is a thing of beauty.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

DaleWisely wrote:That resolution is a thing of beauty.
In all truth, I heartily agree. Well done, Ants.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

So it is written. So it shall be resolved.

Hear hear

Ron
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT

Post by Walden »

antstastegood wrote:n. An agreement binding only as a matter of honor; often, specif., such an agreement among the heads of industrial or merchantile enterprises, the terms of which could not be included and enforced in a legal contract.

WHEREAS, many long and contentious discussions on matters of religion and politics have surfaced on this board, and most participants in these discussions have strong opinions and beliefs on these issues, and often some members become somewhat heated in the expression of these ideas..

MAY IT BE AGREED THAT:

WE RESPECT the broad range of political opinions that we hold.

We commit ourselves to refrain from personally attacking any fellow member or political figure based on a mere political disagreement. We commit ourselves to respectful, informative discussion useful as learning and proper debate.

WE RESPECT the diversity of religious traditions that we hold.
We will not turn honest theological debate into a war of disrespectful language.

WE RESPECT one another as fellow musicians and human beings.
We remember that we have gathered here as a community of musicians, and we commit to keeping the community atmosphere alive that we all found when we first joined this board. We agree to disagree on many matters[/b]
I have tried to abide these principles all along.
Reasonable person
Walden