Village Smithy Apocrypha - Hay balers, huh? PICTURE IS HERE

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Village Smithy Apocrypha - Hay balers, huh? PICTURE IS HERE

Post by serpent »

One of the guys who bought an early New Model Village Smithy called me and said he was carrying his in his bib (overalls) pocket - I gather he plays while driving the tractor - and bent over to make an adjustment to his (hay) baler, and it fell into the gears. It supposedly stopped the baler (sheared a pin) and got "a little mashed up", but keeps on playing now that he filed off the sharp places where it got "a little chewed before the baler stopped".

I am allowed to identify him only as "Andrew", who lives in Kansas, and he's shipped the whistle to me so I can check it out and photograph it. More to come, I'm sure...
serpent
Last edited by serpent on Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

What a cool story, but what about the poor baler? Does it still work? Does no one else care about farm machinery here?

Eric
also originally from Kansas
Celtoid

Post by Celtoid »

Yeah Serpent!! Jeez..it's probably a $150,000 baler.

I'm starting to think of what interesting secondary uses I can make with the VS, to be received soon. I would absolutely keep it away from my bailer if I had one, but the same goes for my lawn tractor and especially my snow blower. :roll:
Steven

Post by Steven »

That's pretty hilarious, Bill! What a tale!

:lol:
Steven
serpent

SPWJHB Topics

Post by serpent »

Jayhawk wrote:What a cool story, but what about the poor baler? Does it still work? Does no one else care about farm machinery here?

Eric
also originally from Kansas
The Society for the Prevention of Whistles Jamming Hay Balers paid Andrew a visit and found that he'd replaced the shear pin. There was no gear damage, and the baler is once again happily spitting out bales. (He did say it's a square baler, though how that would matter to a VS, I don't know...)
:D
serp
markv

Post by markv »

Thank The powers that be he didn't try to grab it on reflex. Keep it away from the auger Andrew!

My Grandpa lost a hand trying to grab a wrench that was falling into a turbine at a power plant he worked in. OSHA wasn't around then obviously.

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

:D

Great story, Bill! Now I know what all that "whistles of mass destruction" stuff earlier was all about! :lol:

--James
madguy

Post by madguy »

Bill, you should put that story on your web site as a testimonial! :)

~Larry
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Just don't let the Taliban get ahold of any of your whistles! sounds like they could do some major damage! :lol:
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

If it had been a round baler, it might have been alot more expensive to repair. :boggle:

Bill, if you talk to this Andrew again, you tell him that the wife of a farmer told you to tell him that he has no business making adjustments to a haybaler that is running and that he wouldn't be able to play that super whistle very well with just one hand! Sorry to put in a downer to this funny story but alot of farmers have learned that lesson the hard way. :cry:

It is a great story though. I always new those Serpent whistles were Super!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
littlejohngael
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

chattiekathy wrote:Bill, if you talk to this Andrew again, you tell him that the wife of a farmer told you to tell him that he has no business making adjustments to a haybaler that is running and that he wouldn't be able to play that super whistle very well with just one hand! Sorry to put in a downer to this funny story but alot of farmers have learned that lesson the hard way. :cry:
And be sure to tell him that Kathy's not mad, she's just trying to give him a hand ... er ... I mean, a little friendly advice. :D

Little John
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

:wink:

:lol:
serpent

Post by serpent »

chattiekathy wrote:If it had been a round baler, it might have been alot more expensive to repair. :boggle:

Bill, if you talk to this Andrew again, you tell him that the wife of a farmer told you to tell him that he has no business making adjustments to a haybaler that is running and that he wouldn't be able to play that super whistle very well with just one hand! Sorry to put in a downer to this funny story but alot of farmers have learned that lesson the hard way. :cry:

It is a great story though. I always new those Serpent whistles were Super!

Cheers,
I did talk to Andrew again, and he said he heard something in the gearbox and was just looking. He's already using piper's grip on right hand due to the loss of a fingertip to an old John Deere combine, so he's pretty wary of his machinery. I'm still looking forward to seeing that whistle! :D
serpent
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

madguy wrote:Bill, you should put that story on your web site as a testimonial! :)

~Larry
Yes, indeed.
chattiekathy

Post by chattiekathy »

Serpie pie, I'm sad to hear the he already learned the hard way! But, I am glad that it was just the tip of his finger and not his whole arm.

Now, when you do get that whistle back, I want to see it too so you better get the camera out and post a pix! :D I am keeping my whistles away from the machinery around here! I like the engraving I have on my serpents just like they were when I got them!

Cheers,