Soft Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Hoover Brass small bore is very quiet, very sweet. Significantly quieter than my Whitecap on a Gen tube.
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

When I read the title I thought of a whistle made out of foam rubber.

I'm getting too adept at this lateral thinking malarkey.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Martin Milner wrote:When I read the title I thought of a whistle made out of foam rubber.

If whistling in rubber is your fantasy, for me, t'was yew paunch I thought of. The Scottish kind--with buckwheat and pepper--for the chiff & sneeze.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Martin Milner wrote:When I read the title I thought of a whistle made out of foam rubber.

Although I'm not sure it does much for my image to be in such a group, you're not the only one who does it. When I saw the title, I thought we probably had some newbie asking about a whistle made of surgical tubing or rubber hose.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Chuck_Clark wrote:

Although I'm not sure it does much for my image to be in such a group, you're not the only one who does it. When I saw the title, I thought we probably had some newbie asking about a whistle made of surgical tubing or rubber hose.
Ah yes, the infamous floppy whistle.

Two words one never wishes to see in juxtaposition.
peteinmn

Third Ocatve D

Post by peteinmn »

Redwolf wrote:Third octave D? No problemo. I can go up to third octave E on it very easily, but the cat gets very upset with me (and, that high, any whistle's going to be piercing).

Redwolf
I agree with Redwolf. I tried the third octave this morning. On my whistle I can easily get to third octave G or even A with no problem before it becomes unstable. However, as Redwolf says, my cat also has some serious problems with playing that high. Interestingly, the notes that high are not "shreaky", just piercing - if there's a difference. But you can certainly get to third D and it still sounds fine. Don't have to blow your brains out either.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Martin, are you the one who's to test my nylon whistle?
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Mack: I want first dibs on the one made of silly putty.
Cheers.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
scottadm

Post by scottadm »

I have a hand painted bamboo whistle from India that is quiet with a nice tone. The down side is that the only key I have seen them in is Bb and I can't tell you how many really bad bamboo whistles I had to try out to find one that played well.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Have you tried Vaigra on that whistle? That might help.

If you have an extra Clarke origional design lying around, you can try narrowing the windway by either squooshing the airway down with your thumb. Find or makea tool you can bend it back to it's orig. position. I make a wedge of wood for it that fits snug before I start.

Also, try filling in the sides with a toothpick and adjusting the V in the blade up and down (fingernail file works best to raise). You can change them to be very quiet and whispery if you want.
nancymae

Third Octabe D

Post by nancymae »

Hello all...I am a newbie....just playing the whistle for a little over 3 weeks. I am doing Brother Steve's tutorial, plus one from a book by Mel Bay. I am just learning ornamentation...and am having problems reaching the high notes of A, B, C and highest D. I have a Clarke Celtic Whistle. (part of the sweettone collection). I also have a lung problem...where I can't blow very hard. Is the problem the whistle or my lungs? My high notes sound like squaks. I have never heard of a Hoover...who makes it? Is a website link possible?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Nancy
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Nancy,

Welcome! :)

I would think the problem is more likely the whistle than you.

The easiest whistle I have to play the high notes on is my Burke Al-Pro D. It doesn't require very stiff blowing to get to the highest range.

In the inexpensive whistles, Oak is a very easy whistle to play cleanly and sweetly in the stratosphere. Again, good breath control is a must...both of these whistles respond well to a very controlled air stream.

Some Clarke originals are also quite nice, but it is unpredictable from whistle to whistle unless you buy a tweaked one.

--James
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

peeplj wrote:Some Clarke originals are also quite nice, but it is unpredictable from whistle to whistle unless you buy a tweaked one.
Isn't it funny how people's experiences differ wildly? :boggle:

I, on the other hand, have found them to be the most consistant of cheap whistles.

They do need breaking in, however as the fipple has a wooden block. When new, the whistle can get weak or dissappear and recover when dry, so play any of them you have until the wood changes taste and the edges wear off the holes. Then they will really sing.
cj

Post by cj »

Peeplj is right--a tweaked Clarke might be good for your lungs, Nancy. The breath requirement is less than the original Clarke. www.thewhistleshop.com has them, and I think they're the only ones that do. Burke, as someone else said, is another good choice if $ permits. I have a Brass Pro Session D, which is smooth and easy to play even in the upper octaves. Jerry Freeman also tweaks Sweetones, which may work for you. Good luck!
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com