Another Instrument besides the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

Wombat wrote:
LeeMarsh wrote:If you want to play contemporary and blues, you might want to be come more conversant with alternate key whistles. You may find that having C, Bb, A, G, F, and E whistle to range between your hign and low D's give you a range to apply whistle to new tunes. I have a Dixon C, and Overton A and F whistles, that I find usefull with a number of tunes. I planning on getting a Low E to try to play blues on.
Lee, unless your approach to blues playing is very different from mine, I don't think you'll have much use for that E whistle. I mainly use a whistle that gives me a five finger start so I play in E on a D whistle. Unless you want to play blues in F#, an E whistle would notbe much use to you.

When I want to play fluent chromatic runs from b3 through major 3, 4th, b5 to fifth, I choose a two finger start: A on a D whistle. This also has the advantage of giving you a clean b7 without half holing, as does the two finger start. On an E whistle, this approach would have you playing in B which is not a common blues key either.

All the other whistle keys you mention except A are very useful for blues as is Eb which you didn't mention. I make frequent use of A for other purposes so my A whistles are important to me.
Wombat,
Most of the blues songs I know are in the key of E or A. I'm drawing this from my guitar playing of various tunes I picked up over the years. Prime chords for the key of E are E, A, and B7; for the key of A, they are A, D, and E7. The few walking base lines and licks that I know, are all in E or A. I'm not a big blues player by my son was for a while. Jonathan, was very into blues (part of why I want to pick it up) and aggreed that most of the stuff they played in his band were in E and A. An E whistle lets me play in the Key of A with a simple cross finger. Blues may be played or sung in any key, often with the key being shifted by the singer. Often these key shifts are done with a capo, to raise the key so that the player can play it with the fingering he knows, just moved up the neck of the guitar(and up the scale) to make it more comfortable for the singer. Granted my background's more folk music than traditional blues; but transitioning through the tunes I know, is going to be easier, than starting out fresh.

As an example of where I'm comming from you can check out <a href=http://www.torvund.net/guitar/BluesGuit ... x.asp>Olay Torvund's Blues Guitar</a> site.
Last edited by LeeMarsh on Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Piano.

You can jam on a piano.
serpent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Difficulty

Post by serpent »

NicoMoreno wrote:Going from a hard instrument (sax) to an easy instrument (whistle) is not the same as going the other way.

I don't care if I step on peoples toes, but whistle is just plain easy compared to most instruments. Not to say that it is "absolutely" easy, just "relatively" easy.

Sorry if that is offensive
Nico
Tinwhistle is one of the easiest of instruments to play.
Tinwhistle is one of the most difficult of instruments to play well.

serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
energy

Post by energy »

ErikT wrote:Piano.

You can jam on a piano.
I second that...in terms of pure versatility, piano is the best. Portability is the only problem. Plus, getting a good tone, etc. is not difficult.

What kind of "jams" are these things, Bufo? Will you have a score in front of you to play off of, are does someone take melody, and then people just kinda fill in around that? How informal/formal are they?
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I got a chance to play a few Theramins a month or so back. Way cool, albeit of no use for playing anything but space-cadet music.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
raiden29

Re: Another Instrument besides the whistle

Post by raiden29 »

I have tried some instrument for more modern pieces. If the whistle is what you love, I think you should either go with the saxophone or the flute. First, because fingering-wise, they are very similar to the whistle, with minor adjustments. The saxophone is similiar as to how to hold the mouth-piece, while the flute is totaly different. One thing you must realize, is that producing sound from a saxophone is harder than in the whistle, and alot more complex, so I recommend learning with a teacher. it also will suprise you because when holding you will feel a feeling of great size. I feel that feeling when I switch instruments quickly, or when I leave my sax for a couple of days and come back to it.
producing a sound through the saxophone will seem very strong in volume, because it is, so it takes getting used to.

As to the flute, great for modern, rock, jazz and celtic, it takes alot more air(alot more!) and is very different in how it is played when talknig about the mouth-piece.

That's a nutshell,
good day,
yotam ronen,
israel.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Look, somebody's got to suggest it eventually. Have you considered the recor..., the reco..., the recor... No, sorry, i can't bring myself to say it. :boggle:
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Saxophones are expensive.

Besides, what's the difference between a sax and a lawn mower?
Vibrato.

What's the range of a sax?
About 30 feet, if you have a good arm.

What's the difference between a sax and an onion?
Nobody cries when you cut up a sax.

Gee, is sax my favorite instrument?

Anything you try will take some time to learn before you can just sit down and jam. (I'm sure you know that) Any brass instrument will require you to practice on a regular basis, just to keep your lip up. You could always buy a bunch of percussion instruments to fill in for sound effects.

What do the others play?
Monster

Post by Monster »

Get yourself a really nice Bodinaphone, you'll be glad you did!
insert uber smart comment here
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

I would agree that the silver flute is probably the most comparable instrument to the whistle, in terms of classical instruments.

Me, I would just see if my mandolin fit in with the sound.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Monster wrote:Get yourself a really nice Bodinaphone, you'll be glad you did!
:lol:

That's from one of my favorite episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies! Makes me think twice about tweaking my electric guitar!
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Monster

Post by Monster »

BrassBlower wrote:

That's from one of my favorite episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies! Makes me think twice about tweaking my electric guitar!
Cool Man!,, I was beginning to wonder if anyone knew what I was jesting about. I spent half an hour looking for a photo with a link, but alas, none were to be found! I couldn't believe it, :sniffle: no Bodinaphone links!

For a real suggestion, I'd go with tenor sax, as soon as I buy a house, that's going to be the first thing I put in it. Nothing beats tenor for rippin jazz solos.

Jeff
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Monster wrote:
BrassBlower wrote:

Cool Man!,, I was beginning to wonder if anyone knew what I was jesting about. I spent half an hour looking for a photo with a link, but alas, none were to be found! I couldn't believe it, :sniffle: no Bodinaphone links!

For a real suggestion, I'd go with tenor sax, as soon as I buy a house, that's going to be the first thing I put in it. Nothing beats tenor for rippin jazz solos.

Jeff

Jethro (being electrocuted): "Turn me loose! TURN ME LOOOOOOSE!"

Talent scout: This boy really has some talent. I say we sign him up right away.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have a silver flute and a clarinet....

The sliver flute I got on eBay for cheap. I got it because it had a few little tarnished spots near the end and a tiny ding (not even a dint) near the mouthpiece, but it's perfectly playable and doesn't need any work. I like it a lot, compared to whistle. I find it's the 'easiest' to go to from whistle as far as fingering, etc. I had some practice with emboucher with a bamboo flute, and I think the silver flute is actually easier.

The clarinet I've had forever, and we don't generally get along, no matter what.

I also have a glockenspiel. Liked it for a little while, then decided it was evil.

Piano - I met a man the other day who could do things on piano I didn't know were possible. With the right person at it, the piano can make the world stop and angels sing to you. With me at it, people just stare and try not to laugh.

And I don't have any direct experience with mandolins or saxes or whatever else was mentioned.
Monster

Post by Monster »

Well, of couse, I Meant, EXCEPT, for Jethro, sign him up! :party: