WT: Finish for PVC or CPVC

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
RonKiley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WT: Finish for PVC or CPVC

Post by RonKiley »

Does any one know of a good finish for cpvc or pvc that is durable? I would like something to paint, dip, sponge, etc a whistle or flute to a nice black color or whatever.
Ron
trisha

Post by trisha »

The Silkstone finishes on PVC are really cool IMO - can't load the site right now, but pretty sure it's a pearlescent (spelling!!?) childsafe model/toy paint.

Trisha
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

you could ask these makers ron, maybe they'll even paint it for you http://www.silkstone-whistles.com/
http://jubileeinstruments.messianic-web ... is-pvc.htm
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks. Today I will look for some pearlescent child safe paint and some lacquer. Some people like the looks of a plain piece of plumbing pipe. I would rather dress it up a little. My current project is a G flute then maybe a D flute. Then I can spend a year trying to get a consistent sound out of them.

Ron
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Some tips:
Test the paint on a scrap piece first.
Many paints require a primer.
PVC often has a slick surface that requires sanding for the paint to bite otherwise it may easily chip.
serpent

Painting PVC / CPVC

Post by serpent »

Just about any lacquer paint will work. Acetone is a component of their vehicle, and it will bond quite nicely to the surface of the plastic. If you want to make sure, pre-wipe the surface of your tube with a bit of cloth dampened with acetone - don't use too much, or you'll melt your whistle! Let it dry for a few minutes before painting, and paint in long, even strokes (don't brush or sponge - spray!) putting on the lacquer in 4 or 5 thin coats. If you _must_ have a sponged or brushed finish, first spray the tube a couple light coats of clear lacquer and allow to dry completely.
Cheers, :D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks Tony and Bill. I am re-thinking the color thing. Maybe white is pretty nice. I was thinking about other decorations such as graphic appliques.
Ron
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

If you like scrimshaw: use almost anything to scratch in your design and wipe in some India ink. Use Bill's method with acetone to clean off the excess.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Ron

Krylon has a new line of <b>"Fusion"</b> spraypaints that bond with PVC and ABS plastics. They come in 16 colors, check them out at...

http://www.krylon.com/product/op_consumer_product.asp

You can also use metal foil tape that comes in many irridescent colors/patterns...

http://www.sunshineglass.com/rcol/i-pro ... s-vent.htm

You can "rough-up" the surface,apply gold/silver/copper leaf and seal with polymer clearcoat.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com