OT: A fun quiz: Where's your ideal place to live?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cariad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cariad »

Hmmmm.... they were all the wrong side of the atlantic...!!
And anyway, I already live in one of my ideal places and can get to the other one (Ireland) via a short drive and a short ferry crossing. Good huh!
Sarah
madguy

Post by madguy »

Anywhere in Wyoming.

~Larry
C4

Post by C4 »

I still think I would love to live in Maine or Vermont..But since I have never actually been there who really knows of Id like it. What Id really like to do is take a cross country train trip up to the maine area...Maybe someday when the kids grow up..

Redwolf, I always intended to ride the Roaring Camp train and never got around to it..We lived in Redwood City btw which from what Ive heard has gone completely downhill since we left 8yrs ago..
slowair
antispam: No

Post by slowair »

That was fun.

Most of the places it recommended were in the state of Washington. I'll have to think about that.

In the meantime, I can't wait to see what junk I get in the mail by putting in my address and email.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike
morning girl

Cape Cod

Post by morning girl »

I'm impressed. Cape Cod came out numero uno. That's where I'm moving back to shortly. It's fun to read the promo info.

Slowair: Before you think about moving from Mass. to Wash., talk to me. I'm about to do the reverse. The people are great, but it's soooo gray here soooo much for starters.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I got a lot of recommendations for Arkansas and California--two places I've never considered living.

But third from the bottom was the town where I work--Frederick, MD. Funny...I've often wanted one of those old homes in the historic district, with a walled city garden in the back.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Cape Cod

Post by Redwolf »

morning girl wrote:I'm impressed. Cape Cod came out numero uno. That's where I'm moving back to shortly. It's fun to read the promo info.

Slowair: Before you think about moving from Mass. to Wash., talk to me. I'm about to do the reverse. The people are great, but it's soooo gray here soooo much for starters.
Ah, it's only gray if you live on the wrong side of the mountains! The bulk of the state boasts long, sunny summers; crisp, lovely Indian Summers; bright, snowy winters and flower-laden springs.

If you're thinking about Washington, consider Spokane, Yakima, Wenatchee, Walla Walla or the Tri-Cities (Richland/Kennewick/Pasco)...that's where the great weather is!

Redwolf (a native Spokanite)
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
slowair

Post by slowair »

Hmmmm...the weather sounds wonderful.

Now, what about those pesky volcanos and earthshakes?

Hopefully those are the otherside of the mountains as well. :)

The number one and two picks were Walla Walla and Sequim and Olympia was number seven. Olympia sounds really nice. A lot of everything. I like that.

Mike
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

slowair wrote:Hmmmm...the weather sounds wonderful.

Now, what about those pesky volcanos and earthshakes?

Hopefully those are the otherside of the mountains as well. :)

The number one and two picks were Walla Walla and Sequim and Olympia was number seven. Olympia sounds really nice. A lot of everything. I like that.

Mike
Walla Walla's in Central Washington. Oly and Sequim (pronounced "Skwim") are both in the wet, gray part of the state. They're pretty enough (Oly has a great view of Mt. Rainier!), but you better like rain! I did my first two years of college in Lacey, just outside of Olympia.

Earthquakes are fairly rare in Eastern Washington (I never was in an earthquake until I moved to California), and volcanic eruptions are even rarer (once every several hundred years or so :LOL: ).

I was in Spokane when Mt. St. Helens blew. That has to be one of the weirdest experiences of my life!
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
morning girl

weather in wa

Post by morning girl »

Results of informal poll at my temporary place of employment in Redmond, WA (not far from Seattle, relatively): The big complaint about eastern Washington the "other side of the mountains" is the wind. It's not ideal anywhere...

"Grow where you're planted." :D
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Perfect place to live. . .New England for certain....close to ocean, close to mountians, near big cities, near the country, four seasons (five if you count mud time). Colleges all over the place, arts available at every turn, museums and farm stands. . .music on any night of the week from pop to folk, classical to contemporary.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
morning girl

going home

Post by morning girl »

I second that motion Ms. Tygh. That's why after roaming this country for 9 years (while living in a motorhome) working in many dif. places, eating dif. foods, cursing the weather, praising the weather, etc. we've determined there's no place like home. I miss the seasons. It gives my life an orientation that's hard to explain. It just works for me. :wink:

Does anyone know the poem that ends something like -"... to return to the place from which we started and know it for the first time?" I've been trying to find it.