A little OT: Back from Ireland!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A little OT: Back from Ireland!

Post by Kar »

Hi all--
I just returned last night from a 10-day trip in Ireland. WOW! It is indeed the most beautiful place I have ever been. I won't even TRY and describe it because for those of you who have been, you know how it is and for those of you who have never been, GO!

I was with family most of the time (except for two nights in Dublin) and so my whereabouts were dictated by them....which means, sadly, I didn't get to any pubs to see any sessions except for in Dublin.

I went on the Musicians Pub Crawl my first night--sort of touristy but very fun and good for when you're jet-lagged. Our musicians for the night were a banjo player (incredible) and a guitarist. The did both tunes and songs (and made us all sing) and talked a lot about the history of Irish music and the instruments and such. I don't play much Irish trad so this was actually a lot of good information. Of course, in the spirit of a session, at the end they invited (almost BEGGED) anyone who wanted to get up and sing a song, any song. I had my whistle with me, of course, but was too chicken to stand up and do some shaky version of Amazing Grace or The Ashgrove....wish I had!

Also went over to Gogerty's in Temple Bar and heard a bit of their loud sesh, with a GREAT whistler....but got too tired to stay late. Headed west to Killarney after that and saw a few busking whistlers here & there (one was nice enough to play at the Cliffs of Moher--made it pretty much PERFECT).

Went all over the Dingle Penisula (wow, wow, wow--my favorite place in the WHOLE WORLD) and then north, thru Galway, Clifden, ending up in Sligo. Saw some amazing scenery and played my whistle when I could--meaning when few others were around except my family and a few tourists who wouldn't know I can't really play. Whistled looking out over Ladies' View, at midnight at the Liffey serenading the full moon, at Kylemore Abbey, and a few other places where the mood called for it.

I have to say, I am MUCH more inspired now to get into Irish Trad--especially the slow airs and ballads. Once you see the landscape, how stark and lush and big and lonely and awesome it is, you start to understand the music better. The whole trip was inspiring....I know where I want to retire now. I can see why people fall in love with this country. Everywhere I looked, it was unbelievably beautiful. Unreal--I didn't think places like that actually existed. And of course, the people were beyond nice!

It was heartbreaking to be passing thru places like Doolin and others and not being able to go in and see any sessions, because of having to stay with my family (we often stayed in a B & B outside of town and I could not walk in). So I am definitly wanting to go back and take my time and see & hear all I can. I was glad to at least get a little taste of it in Dublin.

If I can, I'll post some pictures when I get them developed.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Welcome to the entrancing Celtic mist (ceo draíochta), Kar. You're trapped!

It was slow airs on the whistle (played by Seán Potts when he was still with the Chieftains) that drew me into Irish Trad, and the rest followed in its own good time. There are a couple of threads recommending records which contain "pure drop" music - they are probably on the ITM forum, you can try a search. I think Ronan Browne has a record mainly featuring slow airs on the pipes. Otherwise start a new thread asking for recommendations of recordings containing slow airs.

BTW, I was in California last Easter, stayed a few days with some good friends in Piedmont, toured the Bay area and vicinity, then travelled down the coast to LA and back up via Death Valley and Sequoia. Let's be honest, you have some pretty nice scenery over there too! I would have liked to get in touch with some Chiffniks while we were there, but for reasons similar to your own I couldn't duck out to meet them.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Kar,

Great to hear about your travels, it takes me back to my visits, often just me & a car driving through the beautiful scenery. Killarney is very touristy, but I loved it for that reason - it was far livelier than many Irish towns during the week, and a LOT nicer then Tralee.

I haven't really visited the Sligo area much, just drove there for a day. You enthuse me to plan another trip.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Great post, Kar. I know what you mean. I'm obsessed with Ireland. I'm just a blue collar working guy paying child support, but getting over there to the Magic Land is such a priority that I've worked a lot of overtime on my job so I could make that trip four of the last five years. Every time I go, it's like coming home. Btw, if you go through Celtic Travel, of San Francisco, on the off season, it's frequently $399 round trip to Dublin or Shannon. That's hard to pass up.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I felt the same way in May of 2002. The most beautiful place I have ever seen. I have a picture of my wife beside one of the huge rhodedendrons at Muckross Manor as wall paper on my computer. I did not get to see any music sessions but I did go to Roundstone and buy a bodhran at Malachi's shop. The funniest feeling I had was that I was finally home. We also stayed at farmhouses each day with a full Irish breakfast each day. I want to go back NOW. Being retired it is not easy to come up with the money. There is no overtime in retirement. Keep whistling.

Ron
madguy

Post by madguy »

If they ever offer a way to the Emerald Isle without having to fly, my wife and I will be there in a NY minute! :D

~Larry
skh

Post by skh »

madguy wrote:If they ever offer a way to the Emerald Isle without having to fly, my wife and I will be there in a NY minute! :D
Travel by freighter: http://www.gonomad.com/transports/0011/ ... voyage.asp
I've never done that, but it seems like you have plenty of time for practising on a freighter.

Sonja
Shut up and play.
madguy

Post by madguy »

Interesting info, Sonja, but with only 4 weeks' vacation time each year, I think it's unacceptable! But thanks for trying to help! :)

~Larry
Kar

Post by Kar »

Well, I got pictures back but can't figure out how to post them yet! Anyway, at least I was able to (I think) modify my avatar. It's the Dingle Penisula.