OT: OT: OT: my lifestyle change

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: OT: OT: my lifestyle change

Post by Tyghress »

Okay, for those of you who know me well, I'm finally doing something about it. For those of you who don't know me at all but are curious, I've been supremely miserable at my job recently, and it shows no sign of improving. Of course the job market is less than stellar, and I don't anticipate employees knocking down my door.

But I'm leaping.

We've cleared up virtually all debt, including credit cards, loans and such, and there is still a cushion there to live on. Tyghre, though a part time worker himself, earns enough to keep us in necessities.

I'm bouncing wildly from terror of the unknown to elation at being free. I haven't actually given notice (I'll give them three weeks, but won't do that for another two or so) but I'm excited about the opportunity to get grounded in some computer packages that I think will make me marketable, and will be willing to do as much temp work as I can pick up, without tying myself to something that would become a drudgery.

So, any advice. . .words of warning. . .or encouragement. . .
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The same thing I said on another thread. Do what you love and love what you do. Go for it. I changed jobs ( not fields) several times. Very scary but always turned out the way I expected. Retired Happy.

Ron
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I have a position open in the field of mobile home renovation. PM me if you're interested.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Only give your 3 week notice when you can afford (financially and emotionally) to leave that day: The majority of employers will waive the three weeks and ask you to pack up and leave the same day.

Other than that, good luck :) I know how difficult it can be to leave a secure but decent paying job. Things haven't worked out well for me since I made a move similar to the one you're considering, but then my situation is different, so hopefully you'll fare much better.

Loren
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Don't do it. Timings bad, and you should NEVER leave one job without having another. find the courage of a wild spirit that you are and have a heart to heart with someone who can improve your work situation. Not someone you normally interact with, someone else, 2 levels up department director or H/R. Tip - buy several new suits and have a serious make-over hair style and coloring one week before you request the meeting. They will notice the new you and your stock will increase dramatically. Not what you wanted to hear but I'm telling you what your "friends", won't because, duh, I don't know you.
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dude, you've been reading too many employment articles..... doesn't work that way in the real world.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Good advice: Have your next job lined up before you ditch this one unless you know you could live without that extra income on a long-term basis. You never know how things will go, especially in the crap economy we're in.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Parcour25 wrote:Don't do it. Timings bad, and you should NEVER leave one job without having another. find the courage of a wild spirit that you are and have a heart to heart with someone who can improve your work situation. Not someone you normally interact with, someone else, 2 levels up department director or H/R. Tip - buy several new suits and have a serious make-over hair style and coloring one week before you request the meeting. They will notice the new you and your stock will increase dramatically. Not what you wanted to hear but I'm telling you what your "friends", won't because, duh, I don't know you.
Yikes!!!

No offense, but not everyone wants to be a corporate suit. Some of us are more "down to earth". In my little world, anyone besides my wife who cares what I look like isn't worthy of my time. My accomplishments and skills should be the only thing on the table. Yes, I know that won't work with many employers, but frankly, I'd never last more than a week in those places anyway.

Heck, I don't even own a suit. 'course, this is Arizona, where casual day is every day. :)

My advice, have a plan, be willing to modify it on the fly if need be, and scrap it entirely if you must. Be willing to work hard. I've left several jobs without a pre-arranged landing place and always landed on my feet, and was always better off in the long run for it.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm straddling the fence on this one. It seems that you've got a decent safety net going, so I can't say anything but go for it, especially if you have something particular in mind.

I recall the saying, "So, how're you doing with Plan B?" That little nugget spoke volumes to me and I never forgot it.

Another saying: "Kick the world before you as you go."

All the best to you, Tyghress, whatever you do.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

No advice, just good luck wishes.
janice

Post by janice »

Congrats on kicking the "Velvet Glove." I left a 20 year teaching career and the security of a weekly paycheck three years ago to go back to grad school. At the time, the insecurity scared the crap out of me, but upon reflection, things could not have worked out better. It's the best thing that I've ever done for myself.

So good luck and enjoy finding what it is that you were meant to do.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

This is exactly what I need to hear and think about. . .let me address a few items that have been brought up.

Ron, every time I think of it I know that in general I'm doing exactly what I enjoy as a career. I like numbers and data, displaying information and serving up well filtered, intelligently arranged figures. I like my internal and external clients, and I'm superb at technical support. Some of my technical skills are dated though. This is a big issue.

Loren, good advice. My company seems to be of the sort that says 'Don't let the door hit you in the butt as you leave' regardless of how desperately they need the departing knowledge base. This is a big big issue. The CIO of the company (whom I didn't like for many reasons, but incompetence wasn't one of them) left about 2 months ago, and there is no intention of replacing him. His functions have been taken over by someone who has zero technical expertise, and NO concept of what it takes to merge two or more computer systems. There were three managers underneath him. The one with the most experience left a year ago; the one I work for has given her notice as of the end of the current fiasco; the remaining one. . .<steely pause>. . .called in to check up on me yesterday. He wanted to know the status on that OBDC (sic) project I was working on. This was only an annoyance. Usually he's much worse.

Parcour, thanks for your input. It is logical, four-square and reasonable. But this company is sucking my soul dry, and there have been physical problems because of my anxiety level. Suit, makeover and such will probably be very appropriate if I secure an interview for another position.
But you lead off with
Don't do it. Timings bad, and you should NEVER leave one job without having another.
How unhappy do you let your life become before you change the 'never' to 'rarely'? And what sort of cushion would you recommend, or backup (would you like to supersize that?)

Sam, I hear you too. But a crap economy is the perfect time to prepare for the upswing...and the only guarantee is that there WILL be an upswing. Its just a matter of when and whether you're well positioned when it happens. Great time to be in school. I can't afford a whole new education, but a course here or there....we can swing that.

MSheldon, I go from proper corporate suit when dealing with vendors and clients, to my day to day blouse and trousers or casual dress, to ain't it grand jeans and tee. I'm actually happiest in the middle, but I get a kick at dress up and put on a face. But you suggest to have a plan. Maybe I'd best get something a little firmer in my head or on paper. More than 'I quit and I'm sure I'll figure out the next step'.

Nano. . .Plan B, huh? something more than 'would you like fries with that?' Okay. Plan B. Think of a fall back if a fall back doesn't appear.

Jerry. . .interesting. I'll write!

I sincerely appreciate the input. I still can't help but feel as if the decision itself, if not the application of the decision, has caused the sun to shine.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Tyghress, go for it. Sure, this isn't the best time to choose to be out of a job, but it's not nearly as bad as the media might have you believe. I was just discussing with my wife today the merits of switching fields and giving up salary to be less miserable.

Really, if you don't have a great need for more money, why shorten your lifespan through needless stress (and the likely consequent higher blood pressure) for extra money?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Tyghress wrote:I still can't help but feel as if the decision itself, if not the application of the decision, has caused the sun to shine.
That says it all to me. Go for it, enjoy your life, and let us know how it's going!
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Love for the Tyghress... but,sorry, no advice other than to say that if risk is eliminated, nothing gets better. There are so many people out there who have taken huge chances without a Tygrhe nearby and done well. And so many others who are unhappy because they fear challenging the status quo.

Good luck! To me, you sound like you know what yer doin'.

[/i]