Air Travel and Whistles Lately

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
slowair
antispam: No

Air Travel and Whistles Lately

Post by slowair »

I'll be getting on a big silver bird for the first time in about ten years. Travelling domestic USA, NYC to SLC.

What is the best and safest way to take along my whistle(s)?

Is it even possible to do carry on?

Opinions greatly appreciated.

Mike
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I flew round trip last week with my treasured old Gen D and Feadog D. I carried them onto the plane in a carry on bag, no questions asked.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Cori
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cori »

Spookily, my last flight - Melbourne to Sydney - involved exactly the same type of whistles as Blackhawk. 'Cept neither of them are 'that' old. No questions or problems whatsoever.

I'd guess if you were carrying a good number (5+ ..?) Security might ask to see them. No more issue than that. I wouldn't entrust my belov'd whistles to the hold, carryon is fine. If it works better for you to pack them, just make sure they are well-wrapped in a container or in the middle of clothes...

Seem to recall a thread about this a while ago ... and much the same conclusions were arrived at, IIRC. Leastways, I don't remember anyone posting that they had any problems.
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I've never had a carry on problem with whistles or flutes. You might want to skip the heavy aluminum low D though. It would make a dandy club, they ban baseball bats on airplanes too.

(Is an Overton or Chieftan low D as heavy and sturdy as I imagine??? I've only played the high Ds.)
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I fly every week and have never had problems with whistles in my carry-on laptop bag. I have had the bag pulled for manual inspection, but that's been more because the security droids were unfamiliar with what they were looking at on the screen than because there was any question as to whether they were to be permitted on the airplane. In order to save the hassle of having to repack everything after the sec-droid rummaged through my bag, I now always pull the whistles out and run them through separately, so if there's a question, it's easy for them to check it out.

I also take out any yo-yos and harmonicas and any other non-traditional carry-on items for the same reason. In general, if you have any weird but altogether legal stuff in your carry-on, just take it out and run it through by itself in one of the bins. It will save time, and it also will reduce the likelihood that one of the sec-droids will be touching your whistles with the same pair of gloves that was just used to root around in someone's dirty underwear and socks.

I would stress that only large whistle I've transported on the airplane has been a Susato low D, and there was no issue with it. I've had no experience with a honkin' big metal whistle, but remember -- Just because one could bludgeon someone into pudding with an item does not mean that item is prohibited. Hell, they'll give you a beer bottle if you want, and there's probably a wine bottle that would make a dandy mace sitting out in the open on the counter in the galley. If in doubt, ask one of the TSA people x-raying luggage in the check-in area, which will give you a chance to move it to your checked luggage if anyone objects to its presence in the cabin. (In five years of weekly flights, I have never had a checked bag lost, but I apparently have good luggage karma. Your mileage may vary.)

And finally, if any of the sec-droids give you any crap, ask for a supervisor. The TSA people are generally more reasonable than the work-release rent-a-cops that used to run airline security, but still, if you don't like what they say, kick it up a level. Just be prepared to spend a little extra time at security, but what else do you have to do while you're waiting for the plane to board?

Have a nice trip.
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

I would strongly advise you don't put a whistle in a suitcase you're checking, unless it's in some kind of hard box or tube that will keep it from getting crushed by anything. I wrapped my Shaw low whistle in some cloth and stuck it between some clothes, and when I unpacked, it was slightly bent. It's fine now, but it gave me a real scare. I'd say the safest bet is carrying your whistles on the plane.

P.S. If the urge to play them gets really bad, take one into the lavatory and play. I guaruntee, especially if you go to the one in the back plane, NO ONE will be able to hear you. (as long as you don't go into the third octave or anything).
drdagmar

Post by drdagmar »

Hi slowair
I can´t tell you anything about the US, but have been throughout Europe with many whistles up to an Overton Low D in the handluggage. Never had any complaints except for - my wooden flute !! which I was told could be used as a weapon by the guys on Bournemouth airport...they don´t know my playing and that they were terribly right :-) but I had a hard time to convince them that I would not part with the flute...
Anyway, good luck and enjoy your trip,
Dagmar