Busking from sheet music

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Busking from sheet music

Post by skh »

I saw (and couldn't help hearing) a trio busking with sheet music today, trying to sound (I guess) Irish. I begin to understand why some folks here are prejudiced against using musical notation for traditional music. I didn't realize that anybody who has enough musical talent to master an instrument could and would do something that horrible.

*shudders*

Sonja

(Oh, one of them even had a practise set of Uillean Pipes - I tried to give him a chance and wait if he, maybe, was better on them than on the whistle, but they drove me away.)
Shut up and play.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

Good point, I would actually *kiss* you if you were standing beside me :-) Yeah, it amazes me how some people think they are playing irish music when playing from sheet music. It's so easy to hear and feel the difference. But as long as they do this crappy stuff outside a session, it's not too bad.
skh

Post by skh »

Azalin wrote:Good point, I would actually *kiss* you if you were standing beside me :-)
:oops:
Shut up and play.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Busking with sheet music sounds incongruous enough, but doing that to Irish music is really "grostecue" :o . They'll give us all a bad name :devil: . Get the police to arrest them at once for vagrancy. :twisted:
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
elliott

Post by elliott »

In my seven years as a busker in Boston, I can tell you that your income is based far more on the connection you make with your audience than the quality of your music. And if you're playing from sheet music .... you'll make as much money as those classical string quartets whose music is always blowing away (but will at least get an occasional wedding).

Playing from sheet music, outdoors or in, audience or no, is called PRACTICING.
“Poor man,” said I, “you pay too much for your whistle.”
C4

Post by C4 »

Geez, maybe they were just having fun? If one is judged so harshly then it takes all the fun out of anything we do. I guess there is always someone to make you feel like a dope for trying new things....
Cariad

Post by Cariad »

:o There aren't any Irish sessions round here - so apart from listening to cd's how else can I get to learn the tunes except from sheet music and books(I only ever went busking with the sheet music once though - and the music doesn't blow away if you use clothes pegs! :D )

Sarah
skh

Post by skh »

C4 wrote:Geez, maybe they were just having fun? If one is judged so harshly then it takes all the fun out of anything we do. I guess there is always someone to make you feel like a dope for trying new things....
Well, I didn't shout at them to please go home and PRACTISE, but silently and peacefully went away. Do I have to like every person's playing just because it is better than them sitting at home and listening to elevator music? (Which it is, of course.)

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

C4 wrote:Geez, maybe they were just having fun?
Would you go in Ireland, sit with Peter Laban in a session, and start playing the trumpet from sheet music?

Peter
- Hu, what are you doing?

You
- Well, having some fun! This is what it's all about, no? Having fun?

Anyway, this is just an example of classical music musicians thinking that classical music is the universal language of music, and other styles just mean different notes on a sheet.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Cariad wrote:how else can I get to learn the tunes except from sheet music and books
Who's that philosopher who once said something about the fact that a falling tree in a forest might not actually be falling if no one is around to see it fall?

I hope it gives you a motivation boost. :-)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

That's pretty wild...I don't think I've ever seen anyone busking with sheet music before. As someone else mentioned, it's hard to connect with your audience that way (not to mention hard to be spontaneous...what if someone makes a request you you have to page through your tunebooks to find what they want? Erg!). My guess is they're fairly inexperienced musicians, period. Notation is a learning tool...like an actor's script, once you've learned the part, you put it away...you don't take it on-stage with you! There are exceptions (I don't think I'd want to sing Mozart's "Requiem" without the music in front of me), but folk musicians of any stripe should be able to perform without the music in front of them.

We have lots of buskers down in Santa Cruz...some are very, very good, most are fair-to-middling, but some are just plain awful. People busk for a lot of reasons...some do it because it's fun, some for experience, some because it's a way they can use their talents to make a bit of change and some just because they want the attention (seriously...we have more than a few of that type around here). Fortunately, the fun of discovering a really good act is worth having to walk past all the bad ones.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

The fact that people are playing whistle doesn't necessarily mean that they're trying to play IrTrad. There are other types of music also played on the whistle, and sheet music may be needed.

In the event that I ever busk, I may use sheet music, I may not. Depends. The other day I was in town waiting on my grandma to get out of her whatever-it-is appointment and I sat in the parking lot and played, about 8 or 10 songs that I know by heart over and over. I only saw two people though, so I don't count that as busking. And most of the songs weren't IrTrad.
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Redwolf wrote:some because it's a way they can use their talents to make a bit of change
Redwolf
Amen, I was out yesterday and went straight across the street and turned my tunes into beer! I told the barman I felt like Rumplestiltskin.

PC

:pint: :D :pint:
"You think you've cornered the truth, so I point out that you may have missed a thing or two."
--Carl Sagan from <i>Contact</i>
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

In a big orchestra playing classical music where you need dozens of people all going in the same direction, sheet music makes a lot of sense. In folk, country, rock, etc, it's just kind of silly. I think the problem with sheet music is that you end up focusing on the dots on the page and not the little nuances of the tune, and it ends up sounding very flat.

I think sheet music is fine when you're learning to put notes in the right order on a new tune, but I think you kinda have to just put it up after a certain point and just go by what you *hear* and forget about the dots.

At any rate, those people obviously aren't serious Irish musicians, and probably know little about the tradition anyhow. They were probably just screwing around and having a bit of fun (and they weren't really hurting anything you know). They probably don't even consider themselves Irish musicians at all. It's not worth getting offended over, anyhow. :)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I don't know, you know. I play with a group
on the street, we don't use sheet music,
and I'll bet we're worse than they were...