How many whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jen f
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How many whistles?

Post by jen f »

While I'm waiting for my whistles to arrive (yes, I bought two--a Clarke Meg and a Clare), I have a few more questions. How many inexpensive whistles does everybody have? (I don't see myself ever going to the more expensive whistles, but I bet a lot of people think that in the beginning, right?) And how many D whistles do you try before moving on to whistles in other keys?

Also, I'm having trouble finding the Bill 0chs book that some of you have mentioned. Where do you buy it? I've looked at Amazon, B&N, The Whistle Shop, and House of Musical Traditions.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Re: How many whistles?

Post by blackhawk »

jen f wrote:
Also, I'm having trouble finding the Bill 0chs book that some of you have mentioned. Where do you buy it? I've looked at Amazon, B&N, The Whistle Shop, and House of Musical Traditions.
Try www.thewhistleshop.com.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Jen,

I think the Bill Ochs book is synonymous with the Clarke Tin Whistle Tutor - you can see it online at http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/m23.htm at the bottom of the page with the little shepherd goy playing on the cover.

At least I think so but I could be wrong. I really recommend getting a CD (I see Blackhawk's found it) and not the tape as shown on this site, as it's so much easier to use to practise with (rewinding tapes is a pain).

I have about 30 inexpensive D whistles, probably about 25 more than I need or ever play.

You can play any of the cheap whistles of Bb key or higher with almost no trouble once you're used to a high D. Generation make most of these keys and they are dead cheap and not at all bad in my experience. Tony Dixon makes reasonably priced whistles down to G that I can still play with a normal grip. I got my first low about 6 months after starting the high D.

The real stretcher is a low D, which it's recommended you only try after you're quite comfortable with whistling in general, and preferably other lows (G, F and even E especially).
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Lothiel

Post by Lothiel »

I have about 11 whistles. Three are mid-range, the rest are el-cheapos.
~Lothiel Tinnueth~
aka. The Whistling Elf

"So Many Whistles, So Little Time."
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well let me say this about that. I love cheep whistles. Of course I love expensive one too. :) And I dream of expensive whistles, but I don`t have many and the ones I have I treasure. As for the cheepies I have a full set of Gens except for a high G. I have 3 Bb in various stages of tweeking, and a bunch of Ds from Clarkes to Waltons, and even an Oak. I don`t play my Ds very much any more. (though this Ralph the mouse tweeked Shaw D surprises me daily and I do play it every day) I have found the Eb touches my soul for some reason and sounds, to my ear anyway, more Trad. (No reason) Of course I started playing on a D whistle but I sure didn`t limit myself to that key. And quess what, I still play every one of them at one time or other. :boggle:

Tom
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My inexpensive whistles:

about 10 Generations in various keys, an Acorn, an Oak, a 2-piece Clare, about 7 or 8 Clarkes of various kinds and keys, 3 Waltons brass, a Mello-D, sevaral Susato in various keys, a Dixon nontunable, a couple of Feadogs, and probably some I'm not thinking of right now, since I'm at work and my whistles are home.

For the inexpensive whistles, favorites are Oak (hands down the best I have), good Generations, Acorn, Clare, Mello-D, and Clarke originals.

--James
trisha

Post by trisha »

Hmmm..high D Oak (favourite cheapy), brass and nickel Feadogs (prefer the nickel), Sweetone (two, both good), Clark original, Walton brass. Oak C and Feadog C (the latter still needs therapy), Gen Eb and Bb. Shaw A (depends how cheap is cheap). Then I saved up for some other whistles too...

If I don't like them, my children soon finish them off :twisted:

Trisha
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

Lets see. I have 2 Oaks, about 15 Generations, 6 Feadogs, 3 Doolins, 8 Clarke's (different modells), 2 Susato, 3 Shaws, A Little Black, a Clare that I just bought and a Chieftain. And I started varrying with key's right from the start. I really don't notice the differense before you have a switch between, say, high G to Bb or so :) .
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have 12 Generations from B flat to G in both Brass and nickel. I also have a Feadan (my favorite), a Feadog, a Sweetone, a Meg in C, a Walton little Black, and a Susato. They each have a definite personality and I play most of them every day. The Feadog is my least favorite. I think it needs some further tweaking. I may replace the fipple. I have no high end whistles yet. The one I want, an O'Riordan, is not available at a price I can afford. However, when I can afford it I will probably get an Alba.
Ron
didymus

Post by didymus »

I'm getting a little low on whistles. I've given away all my cheapos. Let's see 'D''s in ww, copperhead, overton and my new Greenwoodpipes wooden. So that's four. Hoovers in 'Bb' and 'C'. Chieftain in low 'D' and ww in low 'F'. That's a total of eight.

Wow! That's the least I've owned in a long time! :o

Frank
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I've a set of Asarkars, a Generation, a wooden whistle, a couple of Susatos, a Sweetone, three Clarkes, and a couple of Hoovers, I think.
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Ok call me Mr cheap,
But i dont mind, part of the joy of experimenting wth whistles is that they are very affordable, mine include,
waltons mello d,
waltons d,
soodlums c,
generation d,
feadog d,
sweetone d,
waltons lil black whistle, and my most expensive to date a susato d
this afternoon i pick up my first generation brass b flat...yipee
all are great although the generation d need and responded to tweaking
(removal of the head and re-adjusting and blu tack into the windway)
Its a mood thing, and sometimes i just feel better or in the mood for a particular whistle.....variety is the spice of life
Regards David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Well, my entire whistle collection consists of:

Clarke (the one with the diamonds and black paint, really cheesy looking in
C- rarely play- to breathy sounding for me and NO back pressure
but plays relatively in tune
Generation C- brass w/green fipple- good whistle , in tune, very trad
sounding to my ear
Generation D- nickle- a bit off tune, needs more tweaking
Generation Bb- nickle- decent whistle
Dixon Bb, A, and Low D- good whistles all
Generation Eb- GREAT whistle, I really love this one
Laughing Whistle- another great whistle, and the collapsability means I don't leave home without it

and finally the whistle that has so far cured me from collecting for over a year now- my Burke Pro Sessions brass.

I have had several other whistles- mostly Gen Ds and a Little Black Whistle, a Sweetone(hated that one)I've given them away to folks who expressed an intrest in playing
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West