Serial Whistle Killer

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
C4

Serial Whistle Killer

Post by C4 »

I've decided this hobby is driving me crazy and I'm going to line all my whistles up in the driveway and slowly drive over them, as each whistle screams out in agony I am going to laugh with maniacal glee..BWAHAAAHAAA :boggle:

I suck,suck,suck at this ...I cant keep a decent rhythm..And I cant play one single tune without looking at the music..And forget cuts and rolls.......
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Alright, make believe I've just smacked you across the face; there, that's better isn't it! Now pick out a simple tune or two that you like, relax and practice them a lot nice and slow and easy. Got it? Keep breathing...pay attention to the phrasing that you hear...listen to lots of music to get that lilt going...Sing into the whistle....Buy lots of whistles...Go crazy....Never mind...It's hopeless
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
andreaz54

I suck at this

Post by andreaz54 »

PhilO..I realy like that last part....go crazy..buy lots of whistles..its hopeless! I feel so much better now. :) The biggest problem I have is which one to play! I end up trying to play them all during a practice session and THAT is not so productive! I wonder how other of you folks handle the which whistle to play today dilemma?

Now to the subject at hand. Listen to PhilO grasshopper! It is good advice. I remember when I first started to play and that was only like 10 months ago. I didn't think I would ever play smoothly, I KNEW I would NEVER play a 2nd octave E, let alone a B!!!!!!!!!!! Well I can do both now with no sweat. It just comes with time. You have to be patient with the process and just keep on trying. And don't get obcessed with it. Do the best you can at this moment and have fun.

Oh...and I don't have a clue about cuts and rolls either! Bill Ochs says in his tutorial that the student shouldn't even be thinking about them for quite some time...surely not after 10 months unless you have been born gifted. (I added that part!)

Good luck..don't run them over!!

Cheers.............AndreaZ.......edited for typos!

I won't think about it now, I'll think about it tomorrow..after all, tomorrow is another day. Scarlet Ohara
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Now then; if you have been trying to play for like four years and you feel this way I would say ya go ahead run them over. But when you go to practice the next day what will you play? Take PhilOs` advice to heart, and I would add one thing DO NOT READ ANOTHER NOTE OF MUSIC. Put your sheet music away, put it in the cat box what ever. Listen, think, and breath. Another good thing that I like to do is just make music. Not nobodies. Just your own. Pop your fingers around, jump octives, have some fun, and above all buy more whistles, cause there is always the posability that it`s the whistles fault. :lol:

Tom
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

What does this mean: possibility???? :really:

IT'S ALWAYS THE WHISTLES FAULT!!! :wink:

(I think I'm in denial) :puppyeyes:
Cori

Re: Serial Whistle Killer

Post by Cori »

C4 wrote: [...]I'm going to line all my whistles up in the driveway and slowly drive over them, as each whistle screams out in agony I am going to laugh with maniacal glee.
Hoping you haven't bought lots of Serpent whistles, C4 - them whistles are gonna just giggle as the car tyres tickle them. *grinning*

Personally I reckon Blackbeer's comment is wise - about "what will you play to practice tomorrow?" Because if you care that you suck (and if you have more than one whistle in the first place!) - you will want to have 'just another go'.

Rhythm - stick to solos where you can show off / enjoy your "own groove". Or play with a metronome or to backing tracks (I credit my bassist rhythm skills to this - surely wasn't talent or obssessive practice.) Forgetting cuts and rolls sounds like excellent advice to yourself!
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
Martin Milner

Re: I suck at this

Post by Martin Milner »

andreaz54 wrote: I wonder how other of you folks handle the which whistle to play today dilemma?
I'm just going through that worry - what to take to Willie Clancy Week? Logically I should only really need one D whistle. At home it's not a problem, I just grab my current favourite and start playing.

Do I take the Susato because it's loud, virtually indestructible & totally in tune, or a Feadog because it's slightly softer in case I keep playing wrong notes. Which Feadog, the black anodised one or the brass one? I have a nice Oak body with a Feadog head, that would sound nice. I usually carry my 2-piece Clare everywhere, but if I have other whistles on hand, do I really need it? For practising outside the class, should I take the Susato VSB or a lower pitched whistle? AAARGH!
C4 wrote:I suck, suck, suck at this ...I cant keep a decent rhythm..And I cant play one single tune without looking at the music..And forget cuts and rolls.......
I may be in for a rude awakening. I just read that there are no beginner classes at WC Week. Am I still a beginner? How good do you have to be to consider yourself intermediate?

C4 - Rhythm is the most important thing, this was drummed into me at a recent fiddle workshop. If you can play just one note throughout, but inn rhythm, people can dance to it, and this is dance music we're playing (except slow airs...). Tapping your foot to keep the beat is not merely accepetd but encouraged by many teachers - it's almost part of the music. Use your feet to set up a beat, and then play to that beat, using scales to practice. Once you have that, try tunes you know, Christmas Carols, advertising jingles, anything you already know the tune to.

Forgetting cuts and rolls is actually a good idea. They can be slotted in later when you have memorised the tune. When you've played a tune 500 times, almost enough to have it hardwired into your fingers, you'd be suprised how you're longing to vary it a bit with ornaments or melodic variations, and because you already have the rhythm established, it shouldn't throw your timing when you attempt them.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Just play. And play. Tootle around with one for awhile and you'll suddenly hear yourself playing part of a tune. You'll jump with joy.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
slowair

Post by slowair »

It sounds to me like you are expecting too much from yourself.

If you think your rhythm is off, I'll bet your trying to play to a CD or something where the other people playing are pros. How could you keep that rhythm?

And where's the sin in sheet music. I use sheet music. I keep every song I know in a binder. I go them one by one. For many, it's just to keep order of the ones to play. For others, I need the first few notes to get my finger's memory going. And still others are too new and I don't remember at all, so I go note by note.

Eventually your fingers remember each song.

So don't run over the whistles. It's not their fault.

You are just expecting too much, too quick.

And poop on the heads of those that tell you...NEVER use sheet music....you HAVE to be able to play with others....you HAVE to be able to play THESE songs.

It's your whistle, your life, you get to pick what, when and how.

ENJOY!!!

And if you really want to play with others, find a slow session near you. Or make one up. Trust me, you're not the only newbie in the world. And there is strength in numbers.

Good luck!

Mike
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

slowair wrote: And poop on the heads of those that tell you...NEVER use sheet music....you HAVE to be able to play with others....you HAVE to be able to play THESE songs.

Mike
Go get 'em Mike! And don't forget the "you have to use a billion ornaments or your crap..." argument. Which I have seen on these very boards more then once.

Did Bela Fleck let himself be pigeonholed? Did David Grisman? Ian Anderson?

And don't pigeonhole yourself either. I know I have spent too many hours thinking "that isn't the way it is supposed to be...".

By golly!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi,
Keep trying, don't give up!
And YES, USE the SHEET MUSIC. Its NOT a bad thing.
Have you ever seen an Orchestra play without the sheet music?

Keep a binder of the ones you can play, as stated above, and go thru
it every day. If you really insist on memorizing them, it will happen
by itself. Don't push it; just relax and play and enjoy hearing yourself
and the tune.

A Metronome can help with keeping the rhythm going, but if you set it
too fast is will just discourage you, so the tapping the foot idea is the
best.

Pick little hornpipes first, as they are (or can be) the slowest and lots
are the cutest melodies. They will make you feel that you ARE doing
o.k.

Good luc,
Lolly
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Play for the fun of playing. If it is not perfect, who cares? Learn by ear, by music, by listening, just keep learning. The popular oil painting teacher Bob Ross always said,"It's your world color it the way you want it." I like that. It's your music play it the way you want it to sound. In time you will wonder why you ever had a problem. Keep whistling.
Ron
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

geek4music wrote:
slowair wrote: And poop on the heads of those that tell you...NEVER use sheet music....you HAVE to be able to play with others....you HAVE to be able to play THESE songs.

Mike
Go get 'em Mike! And don't forget the "you have to use a billion ornaments or your crap..." argument. Which I have seen on these very boards more then once.
Really? Where? I'd like to flame whoever said that, so please let me know where you saw it on this board.

Thanks.
/Bloomfield
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

lollycross wrote: If you really insist on memorizing them, it will happen by itself. Don't push it; just relax and play and enjoy hearing yourself and the tune.
I'd go along with that - I usually find that I can lip-whistle a tune sooner than I can play it on a whistle, but at least I can hear the tune in my head. I've commented on this lip-whistling quite a few times, it works for me, though I don't recall anyone else using this technique. Translating that onto the whistle is acutally quite a simple step.
lollycross wrote: Pick little hornpipes first, as they are (or can be) the slowest and lots
are the cutest melodies. They will make you feel that you ARE doing o.k.
A while ago I commented that I found hornpipes more melodically interesting than reels and jigs. Peter Laban raised a virtual eyebrow, but I still like those hornpipes, though a few reels have now permeated too.

Don't forget that the majority of Irish dance tunes are only 16 bars long with a deal of repetition, so you often only have 10 or 12 bars to remember. Orchestral pieces are generally somewhat longer. :wink:
StewySmoot

Re: Serial Whistle Killer

Post by StewySmoot »

C4 wrote:.....I suck,suck,suck at this ..........
AHA!!!! HOLD IT RIGHT THERE!! That is your problem! Try blowing INTO them! None of the books seem to cover that important aspect of the instrument. It is as if they assume you already "know".

Put the books away and just make up your own music. It will come