OT: Tired of this happening to you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

OT: Tired of this happening to you?

Post by Flyingcursor »

The scene:

Person or group of people just sitting down to a meticulously prepared meal. All excited and ready when....

Ring.....Ring....Ring

"Hello?"
"Hello, this is Mumbler from such and such and have you considered refinancing your house, buying new windows, changing phone services lately?"

Now you can register for the national "Do Not Call" list which will eliminate up to 80% of those pesky phone calls for people in the USA.

This message not payed for by the national do not call list
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

I did this as soon as it became available here....worked like a charm.

Before that I simply refused to answer the phone when I was at the dinner table. That was the coolest thing because it reprogrammed me to not jump as soon as a machine said jump. Liberating.

That branched out to not reading all the emails...especially the ones that are forwards from friends...not reading messageboard threads after I'm done with them or ones that I don't care about. . .and that moved on to not reading message threads from people who purposefully put in lousy subject lines....

The whole thing has saved me grand amounts of time/keystrokes/annoyance.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
RoyalGoldReps

Post by RoyalGoldReps »

I just signed up for that too... sceptically, mind you. Glad to see someone has had success with it.

Now, define "lousy subject lines" for us!

Steven *finally a whistler*
JMcCYoung

Post by JMcCYoung »

Tyghress wrote:I did this as soon as it became available here....worked like a charm.
Really, it worked that quickly? That's great! The site for the National center says:

http://www.donotcall.gov/FAQ/FAQConsumers.aspx

Q:
How soon after I register will I notice a reduction in calls?

A:
If you register by August 31, 2003, you will start receiving fewer telemarketing calls by October 1, 2003. If you register after September 1, 2003, telemarketers covered by the National Do Not Call Registry will have up to three months from the date you register to stop calling you.

(end quote)

They haven't obviously diminished in our household yet ... :-(

John
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I think Tyghress is talking about one of the State lists. Something like 27 states had already implemented their own D-N-C databases before the Feds got around to it.

The bad news is that only some of the State lists were automatically incorporated into the Feds' list. Some States either refused to share data, dragged their heels or used incompatible data formats. So for safety sake, even if you were already on a State list you shoul register with the Feds anyway.

The Fed list doesn't take effect until 10/1/03. I signed upin the first 24 hours - had to wait until after midnight local time for the site traffic to die down. At one point they were getting over a thousand hits a second!
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

We've been on the Colorado list for some time and will be automatically added to the Fed.

It's amazing how fast telenuisancers get off the line when you tell them you're on the list.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I think it's a shame that so many people are going to loose their jobs.

I am a former telemarketer. And I don't think it's a bad profession per se. It feeds a lot of kids who otherwise would go hungry. And robs a lot of old ladies who can't speak English.

But that's just how life is, I suppose.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I got on the Fed list too.

When I first notice that a telemarketer is on the line, I just quietly lay down the receiver (but don't hang up) and let them waste a few moments talking to the air. (The punishment fits the crime, and it seems to be a deterrent.)
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

Ridseard wrote:When I first notice that a telemarketer is on the line, I just quietly lay down the receiver (but don't hang up) and let them waste a few moments talking to the air. (The punishment fits the crime, and it seems to be a deterrent.)
What a great solution!!! I hate hanging up on them, it's so impolite, but I don't want to hear their spiel either.

I've also been tempted to tell them I'm busy and then ask them if I can have their phone number and call them back later. I wonder if I would ever get one.

Linda S.
madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Risdeard
When I first notice that a telemarketer is on the line, I just quietly lay down the receiver (but don't hang up) and let them waste a few moments talking to the air. (The punishment fits the crime, and it seems to be a deterrent.)
You guys got it all wrong. It's actually a good thing to just leave the phone there. This is because (at least in my experience, I suspect it's the same at other call centers) you get paid for your total talking time. A lady I used to work with got 40 minutes of talk time before they came back and hung the phone up. I usually just go on to the next call, though.

If you leave the phone sitting there, I can keep reading my script and the computer doesn't register that you're not there. It shows up on my screen as time I spend talking (the goal is to keep you on the phone as long as possible). The worst thing you can do is hang up the phone. That cuts talk time sharply.

It's not a deterent because the person never actually calls you. Your call comes up from the computer's list and s/he just talks to you. Being a telemarketer you never ever ever actually dial a number or know who you are calling before the computer tells you.

madfifer, If you ask for a number to call back, where I worked I'd give you our number but you couldn't speak to me because you'd be calling customer service and we were the sales deparment.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

madfifer9 wrote:
I've also been tempted to tell them I'm busy and then ask them if I can have their phone number and call them back later. I wonder if I would ever get one.

Linda S.
madfifer9
An ex-partner of mine had a wonderful way of handling this. She would say very politely, I'm just about to sit down to dinner, but if you'd like to leave your name, phone number and dinner time, I'll call you back then.

I get particularly annoyed by those people who use my name in a way that insinuates that they already know me. I respond by asking if they've cleared this interview with my manager. When they bluster, I reply 'So you don't really have any idea who I am do you? You don't seriously think I'd talk to you for nothing, do you?' They don't ring back.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cranberry wrote:
You guys got it all wrong. It's actually a good thing to just leave the phone there.
This leaves a dilemma. It helps the telemarketer who is just a person trying to make a living doing a thankless job but it also keeps the company calling you back because a sale wasn't made.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I think the list is great and signed up ASAP, but a couple of things to keep in mind -
It doesn't include calls from charities and political groups and
It doesn't include calls from companies you already do business with (i.e. have a credit card from, etc). And in this day and age where like 2 companies own everything, that it an important fact to keep in mind.

Also, remember that if you tell a telemarketing company when they call to take you off of their list and not call again, they can't. That is even true for collection agencies.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
slowair

Post by slowair »

Also, remember that if you tell a telemarketing company when they call to take you off of their list and not call again, they can't. That is even true for collection agencies.
That's the ticket!

When you realize it is a telemarketer, don't hang up! Very nicely ask them to place you on their 'do not call back' list. They are requirred to do this and can be fined heavily if they violate this law.

Of course once you register and it goes into effect, you won't have to do this, except with those exempt from the new law.

If you get pissed at them and just hang up, they're gonna call back, so play it smart and ask to be put on the list. It works.

Mike
Steven

Post by Steven »

Long before these state and federal lists were created, each company had to maintain their own list (as has been mentioned by a couple of people already). Therefore, what I always did was just read them my script as soon as I figured out they were a telemarketer (or pollster, or whatever). It wasn't hard to figure out, since they can never pronounce my last name correctly. I would just say "I'm sorry, but I don't accept telephone solicitations. Please take me off your call list." When you do this, not only do they not call you back, but they generally don't sell your number to other companies. After a couple of months of doing this, I was hardly getting any calls any more, so when the Pennsylvania state list was implemented (and we got on it), I didn't really notice much of a change. I probably don't get more than one call every month or two now.

:-)
Steven