Best Penny Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ltwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish whistle for more than 20 years. My favorite brand is Overton. I also like high whistles more.

Re: Best Penny Whistle?

Post by ltwhistle »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:38 am It wasn't a problem but he could have let on, for clarity, he was linking to his own site.
Why would you have anything against linking to a website with relevant content? I definitely wouldn't mind if you did the same.

Sure, I wrote that specific article and many people find it a great guide. I believe it is way better to link to the article than copy/paste here what it already says in the article itself.

Maybe this was due to a cultural disparity or something similar, but I usually find it more polite to avoid explicitly saying that something is mine. It may sound like I'm bragging. Because it's about the content that might be helpful, it doesn't matter who actually wrote it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I think posting a website with commercial elements like yours requires clarity with regards to the who and what. That's all.

On a different note, some parts of the site may require an editorial eye. Under 'Meet the teacher' there's this:
I initially intended to refrain from publicly exposing myself.

An unfortunate choice of words.

:lol:
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Tou-Che

Post by Tou-Che »

Cillian O’Briain tweaked Generation hands down for the budget mentioned. If you have a box of Gens to play thru may be able to save yourself a couple bucks that way but as a beginner you probably won’t know what your looking for so pay the extra money for one of their tweaked whistles.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Tou-Che wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:28 am Cillian O’Briain tweaked Generation hands down for the budget mentioned. If you have a box of Gens to play thru may be able to save yourself a couple bucks that way but as a beginner you probably won’t know what your looking for so pay the extra money for one of their tweaked whistles.
Cillian O’Briain doesn't "tweak" Generation whistles, and if you buy a Generation whistle, you are highly unlikely to get a "bad" one.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Tou-Che wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 7:28 am Cillian O’Briain tweaked Generation hands down for the budget mentioned. If you have a box of Gens to play thru may be able to save yourself a couple bucks that way but as a beginner you probably won’t know what your looking for so pay the extra money for one of their tweaked whistles.
I can't imagine many stores would want people playing through the boxes of Generations in an attempt to find one that plays properly. It's extremely unsanitary, so stores should not allow it. COVID is another reminder of how that works. Then there's the issue of doing business with a company that has a standard policy of applying no Quality Control and for decades has sent out whistles of highly variable quality. The morality of that is a major red flag, and as a whistle player, I'm not keen on self-defeating actions or encouraging stores to carry such brands, when it is SO unnecessary! There's no other product that people buy where they'd knowingly put up with that; eg; cars, clothing, food, electronics, appliances, sports equipment, guitars, drums, keyboards, microphones, medicine, bicycles, kids toys, tax forms, gardening supplies, etc.

Why bother with that list of nonsense; there are plenty of consistent quality, lower-cost whistles with lots of happy players, supplied by Feadog, Walton, Oak, Tony Dixon, Goldfinch, Chris Wall, Clare and the Clarke Sweetone. Whistles that let you build your skills and enjoy the music along the way. :)
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

RoberTunes wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:34 am
I can't imagine many stores would want people playing through the boxes of Generations in an attempt to find one that plays properly. It's extremely unsanitary, so stores should not allow it. COVID is another reminder of how that works. Then there's the issue of doing business with a company that has a standard policy of applying no Quality Control and for decades has sent out whistles of highly variable quality. The morality of that is a major red flag, and as a whistle player, I'm not keen on self-defeating actions or encouraging stores to carry such brands, when it is SO unnecessary! There's no other product that people buy where they'd knowingly put up with that; eg; cars, clothing, food, electronics, appliances, sports equipment, guitars, drums, keyboards, microphones, medicine, bicycles, kids toys, tax forms, gardening supplies, etc.

Why bother with that list of nonsense; there are plenty of consistent quality, lower-cost whistles with lots of happy players, supplied by Feadog, Walton, Oak, Tony Dixon, Goldfinch, Chris Wall, Clare and the Clarke Sweetone. Whistles that let you build your skills and enjoy the music along the way. :)
A long while ago (well before covid) I was able to play through a whole box of Generation D whistles (20-30 as I recall). The differences were very very small. I did end up buying one I thought was "the best", but any one of them would have been great. All of them were better than any Walton, Dixon, or Clarke I've ever played, and better than some of the Feadog and Oak whistles I've played and/or own. I find Feadog and Oak whistles to be much more variable, but that's just because I own a couple of each that are markedly different in tone and playability. The so-called variable quality of Generations (at least the D ones anyway) is somewhat overstated in my experience. Of all the D whistles I've played and owned, that Generation, another Generation, and a Feadog are my favourites, more than Burkes, Sindts, Freeman tweaked, various high-end wood whistles, and others as well. The best whistle I have and play is a Generation Bb that I chopped the tube (no carving holes were needed) into a Bish (to match my flat pipes).

For literally any other musical instrument, you would *always* expect to try before you buy. Music shops *should* have disinfectant or UV disinfecting machines to remove the gross factor. Whistles are often sold in stores that otherwise don't sell wind instruments, though, so in that case I wouldn't expect to be able to try them.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

play through a whole box of Generation D whistles (20-30 as I recall). The differences were very very small. I did end up buying one I thought was "the best", but any one of them would have been great. All of them were better than any Walton, Dixon, or Clarke I've ever played, and better than some of the Feadog and Oak whistles I've played and/or own. I find Feadog and Oak whistles to be much more variable, but that's just because I own a couple of each that are markedly different in tone and playability. The so-called variable quality of Generations (at least the D ones anyway) is somewhat overstated in my experience.
That has been my experience as well. The whole Generation things has become a sort of an internet trope, floating around the echo chamber.

Yesterday, in the real world, there was a conversation, and expression of frustration, about comments posted (on piping forums but this equally applies here) by 'experts' who have been playing 'all of three months'. Don't believe everything you read was the take-away, unless you can gauge who is writing and from what experience.

Anyway, my most recent experience going through a batch of Generations was that 99% were decent, serviceable and some were great but the differences were mostly of taste and a beginner or intermediate player won't most likely even notice them.

I have not tried or bought Oak in over twenty five years or so, the one I have is a nice whistle but manufacture has gone through different hands a few times since so I can't speak to their current state. Variability comes with the injection moulding process, so I would assume Oaks are no different in that regard from other makes using the that mode of production.

Feadógs come individually wrapped so there's no trying out. The luck of the draw. I have come across serviceable ones and others less so. A Feadóg Pro bought directly from Feadóg Teo was probably among the worst examples of mass produced whistles I ever had to deal with. Binned the head, tube lives on with a head transplant. In general I find Feadógs to tend towards an unpleasant high end. Harsh.

I never found a properly working Clare.

Also note Robertunes' rant was probably triggered by a recommendation for a Cillian O Briain improved Generation (he did make them but not recently, as far as I know). All said and done, I think it's hard to beat Cillian's work, two of his 'improved' Feadógs are close at hand in my house, the go-to whistle, FWIW.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

My experience was just one box, as I recall two dozen, Generation D's straight from the factory.

It had to be at least 20 years ago.

With those caveats in mind, as I've said on these pages one was absolutely superb and another was nearly like it. I don't think there are any D whistles at any price that would top those two.

At the bottom end there were a couple which were literally unplayable, with no 2nd octave whatsoever, just harsh squeaking sounds.

The rest were in that "acceptable to good" spectrum.

Why they would allow their reputation to suffer by letting the horrid ones out the door mystifies me. Some sort of minimal quality control, like having somebody give each whistle a very quick blow, would have caught the worst of them.

Seems like some people have found boxes that didn't contain any unplayable ones, so perhaps they do QC at times.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It has changed over time too, Richard. Perhaps six years or so there was a batch in one if shop and they all looked dog rough, useless. Bits and rough edges everywhere. I was ready to give up on them at that point. Some time later the ones I referred to above came in, they looked clean and all aged well. They must have replaced the mould somewhere between those two batches. They have been, as far as I can see, (I have no need for any more whistles, I don't look too often) alright since.
My brain hurts