Stand recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PiperKev
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm primarily a GHB piper, but I do tinker with whistles on occasion. I play with Dulahan, a Celtic-Americana band based in Dayton, OH.

Stand recommendations?

Post by PiperKev »

This topic has probably been done ad nauseam, but I haven't really found what I'm looking for (much like U2 :D ). I play the Great Highland Bagpipes wth a Celtic/Americana band, and I've recently started playing whistle with them. I have a stand for my bagpipes when onstage, but so far, I've just put my whistle on the stage beside the stand to grab when necessary. It's not an elegant setup, but it works. I'm going to be using my Burke Composite Low D during future shows, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for an affordable stand that I could use onstage that would hold both whistles safely? I tried a test tube holder, but the Low D was too top heavy and caused it to fall over. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Kevin
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Re: Stand recommendations?

Post by Moof »

Stagg weighted flute stands are really cheap and work well for low whistles. The non-weighted ones are good too, but if you need something that can't be kicked over, go for the cast iron sort.

https://tinyurl.com/ymk357xm

https://tinyurl.com/5d4vkfsd

Apart from stands designed to hold two different wind instruments (which are no use because one of the spikes will be too wide), I've never come across a double stand. Nor have I seen a multi-spike stand that's small, compact, and stable for high whistles. At home I use a drawer organiser – a sort of plastic pegboard – which stands neatly on a windowsill and accommodates a decent-sized flock of whistles, but it's no use for taking out of the house.
PiperKev
Tell us something.: I'm primarily a GHB piper, but I do tinker with whistles on occasion. I play with Dulahan, a Celtic-Americana band based in Dayton, OH.

Post by PiperKev »

Moof wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:01 am Stagg weighted flute stands are really cheap and work well for low whistles. The non-weighted ones are good too, but if you need something that can't be kicked over, go for the cast iron sort.

https://tinyurl.com/ymk357xm

https://tinyurl.com/5d4vkfsd

Apart from stands designed to hold two different wind instruments (which are no use because one of the spikes will be too wide), I've never come across a double stand. Nor have I seen a multi-spike stand that's small, compact, and stable for high whistles. At home I use a drawer organiser – a sort of plastic pegboard – which stands neatly on a windowsill and accommodates a decent-sized flock of whistles, but it's no use for taking out of the house.
Thanks, Moof!

I think the folding one will work perfectly for what I need, at least for my low whistle! We don't get too rambunctious on stage, so I don't think there's much danger of it getting kicked over! :lol: I'm thinking that maybe I can rig up a PVC tube of some sort for my high whistle and strap it to my pipe stand. Maybe I can do the same for the low whistle! Hmmm...
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

PVC tube would work fine, if you can attach it to something.

As for stands, my friend uses one of these for her flute – they're easily stashed in a pocket, and are stable enough if there aren't people trying to squeeze past in a crowded pub:

https://tinyurl.com/5n86x529

I mostly play at a table, so although it's faintly annoying that no one makes a handy double or triple whistle stand, a couple of lumps of Blue Tac are enough to anchor whistles so they don't roll off when someone jolts it.
PiperKev

Post by PiperKev »

Moof wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:53 am PVC tube would work fine, if you can attach it to something.

As for stands, my friend uses one of these for her flute – they're easily stashed in a pocket, and are stable enough if there aren't people trying to squeeze past in a crowded pub:

https://tinyurl.com/5n86x529

I mostly play at a table, so although it's faintly annoying that no one makes a handy double or triple whistle stand, a couple of lumps of Blue Tac are enough to anchor whistles so they don't roll off when someone jolts it.
Nice! My pipe stand is made from a heavy duty music stand, so I can strap a PVC tube to it with big zipties. I'll post a pic when I finish it!
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

I'm very pleased with my Hercules stand - I've regularly got low D, low C and mezzo G on my three-prong stand and thus far it's survived everything a busy gig can throw at it. You can also buy replacement spikes of two different sizes to accommodate your particular mix of instruments.

Not the cheapest option, but highly recommended by me.

https://www.gear4music.com/Woodwind-Bra ... GOEALw_wcB
fintano
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Post by fintano »

The stands that are sold as flute stands don't fit an Irish flute, but they might fit a low whistle.

For an Irish flute, a tenor recorder stand will work, and should fit a low whistle too.
PiperKev

Post by PiperKev »

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm going to try the PVC tube first, but I'll definitely keep your recommendations in mind if that doesn't work for me!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've played a variety of wood flutes and whistles, as well as uilleann pipes, onstage since the 1980s.

Back then I cobbled together this stand, which has served me well for 40 years of gigs.

It only holds 5 instruments which might not be enough for many gigs.

It's a standard folding stand for which you can buy things to hold Boehm C flute (too big for wood Irish flutes) Clarinet and Piccolo. The latter works for whistles and Irish wood flutes.

But being a cheapskate (I was still at Uni) I got threaded rods, wing-nuts, washers, and aquarium tubing and made my own thingies.

I've considered drilling 4 more holes and adding 4 thingies so it can hold 9 whistles but I've never got round to it.

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

PiperKev wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:45 am I play the Great Highland Bagpipes with a Celtic/Americana band, and I've recently started playing whistle with them.
Ohio?

Does your band play at the Dublin (Ohio) Irish Festival?

Do you do Pipe Band or Highland pipe solo stuff? Ohio Scottish Games in The Village of Wellington?

Though in California I've attended both events, and plan to do so in the future as well.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
PiperKev

Post by PiperKev »

pancelticpiper wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:49 am
PiperKev wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:45 am I play the Great Highland Bagpipes with a Celtic/Americana band, and I've recently started playing whistle with them.
Ohio?

Does your band play at the Dublin (Ohio) Irish Festival?

Do you do Pipe Band or Highland pipe solo stuff? Ohio Scottish Games in The Village of Wellington?

Though in California I've attended both events, and plan to do so in the future as well.
We do play at Dublin, although I won't be able to join them there this year due to family commitments. :cry: We also play the Riverfront Irish Festival in Cuyahoga Falls, OH, and the Dayton Celtic Fest, as well as pub gigs (I'm not an actual band member, just a guest piper, so I don't normally join them for them since the stages are normally small).

These days, that's about all the piping I do, minus the occasional solo gig (I'm playing for a traveling Vietnam Wall ceremony in a couple of weeks). We moved down to the Louisville, KY area from Ohio in 2022, but I haven't really found a piping outlet yet.

The whistles were a way to let me join them on more than just pipes, which is nice! Your homemade stand looks pretty sturdy!
PiperKev

Post by PiperKev »

So I bought a short piece of 3" PVC, capped one end, wrapped duct tape around the other end so the sharp edge wouldn't scratch my Low D, put bubble wrap in the bottom to cushion the whistles, and voila! I use removable zip ties to strap it to the bottom of my pipe stand while I'm onstage!

Image Image
Last edited by PiperKev on Mon Jul 15, 2024 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moof

Post by Moof »

Sorted!

I do like Richard's Thingie as well. It's the sort of stand I'd like, though perhaps a bit smaller – three high whistle pegs would be plenty.

It would be an easy job for anyone with basic wood- or metalworking skills, but I'd have to buy all the tools as well as the materials, then faff about not quite getting it right, then clean up the mess I'd made of my sitting room, then replace whatever item of furniture I'd used as a makeshift workbench and accidentally drilled a hole in.

It'd probably be cheaper to commission one with solid silver hand-chased pegs from an artisan Thingie maker in the foothills of the Andes.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

That works!

I wouldn't have thought of that solution.

Jerry Gibson?

Looks like it could be the Stainless Steel and Nylon that he used, him being about practicality and durability more than looking fancy.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
PiperKev

Post by PiperKev »

pancelticpiper wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 3:04 am That works!

I wouldn't have thought of that solution.

Jerry Gibson?

Looks like it could be the Stainless Steel and Nylon that he used, him being about practicality and durability more than looking fancy.
Thanks! If I expand beyond the two whistles, I may have to re-think it, but it's good for now!

Yep! Gibson R-110-Ds, circa 2000!