Nickel v. Brass: The Poll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you prefer nickel or brass shafts?

Nickel
60%
Nickel
No votes
Brass
25%
Brass
No votes
It's the same to me
15%
It's the same to me
No votes

Total votes: 53

BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Brass, hence my signon.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Aluminum is my first choice, followed by plastic.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Basically what Jim_Mc said, 'cept I'll put plastic first and aluminum second.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I prefer nickel but not plated, solid as in nickel-silver. Unfortunaltely, they're not that many around: Shaws, Clarkes, high Copelands, and a G from Daniel Bingamon / Jubilee.

Now, since this poll leaves only three choices for six options, I'll vote vote for solid solid. Brass. Brass. :o :o
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Zubivka wrote:I prefer nickel but not plated, solid as in nickel-silver. Unfortunaltely, they're not that many around: Shaws, Clarkes, high Copelands, and a G from Daniel Bingamon / Jubilee.
Aren't Clarkes made from tinplate?
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Plastic is my first choice in whistle bodies. I don't like brass because it tarnishes so easily. Nickel is okay. Never tried an aluminum whistle.

Synthetics rule..... :D
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Cori

Post by Cori »

The poll fubar made me laugh - how appropriately weird!

Since I am a wanton Walton woman at the moment (somehow acquired 4 of theirs) I can definitively say that for me personally, I like nickel for a D whistle, and brass for the C. I'm going to go and do some head-swapping, but they look completely identical so the sound difference (perceptible between the 2 D whistles (brass and nickel)) needs to be in the tube somewhere. Could get all scientific and ask about the relative thicknesses of the two metals ... but ... ah, I won't.
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Walden wrote:
Zubivka wrote:I prefer nickel but not plated, solid as in nickel-silver. Unfortunaltely, they're not that many around: Shaws, Clarkes, high Copelands, and a G from Daniel Bingamon / Jubilee.
Aren't Clarkes made from tinplate?
You're quite right, Waldorf! Thanks for correcting me.
Well, I still prefer tin to brass or whatever plating.

This includes silver and gold platings, which will eventually end up in a mess (see cheap or not so cheap orchestral flutes).

Solid rule!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

LimuHead wrote: Synthetics rule..... :D
"I may be synthetic, but I'm not stupid."

spot the film, ten points up for grabs.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My sources say that it was Aliens, though I've not actually viewed that film.
artguy

Post by artguy »

yup. that was Aliens alright. I believe his name was Bishop. I wonder if he was made from either nickel or brass? hmmm...

anyway, i like the shininess (shiny-ness, shinyness, shinosity?) of the nickel. I also would tend to buy a Nickel Gen over a brass one since I really like the blue fipples and think the redheaded brass ones look like something Ronald McDonald should be playing.
Last edited by artguy on Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

artguy wrote:yup. that was Aliens alright. I believe his name was Bishop. I wonder if he was made from either nickel or brass? hmmm...
I assumed Bishop was NASA-grade PVC.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Cori
Since I am a wanton Walton woman at the moment (somehow acquired 4 of theirs) I can definitively say that for me personally, I like nickel for a D whistle, and brass for the C. I'm going to go and do some head-swapping, but they look completely identical so the sound difference (perceptible between the 2 D whistles (brass and nickel)) needs to be in the tube somewhere. Could get all scientific and ask about the relative thicknesses of the two metals ... but ... ah, I won't.
I have lots of Waltons/Soodlums. The Brass and Nickel C and Mellow Ds are identical (the regular Ds aren't), except for the metal. The headpieces do vary a little bit, though (usually not enough to notice from looking at it, so they look the same to us), and the tone is different because of the mouthpiece, not the tube. That's my half a cent.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Brass seems a bit more forgiving than nickle, at least to me!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

On the odd occasion, usually this is when I'm playing non-trad in church with the organ and wanting a very clear tone on a certain tune, I'll reach for nickle.

For 90% of my playing though, BRASS. I love the chiff, the tone, the feel,and yes, as a lover of all things used and old, the PATINA.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West