Question Regarding Burke Low Whistles in Brass

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Roland of Gilead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I make ceramic instruments called Ocarinas for a living but am also very fond of playing whistle and accordion for Irish traditional music

Question Regarding Burke Low Whistles in Brass

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Hey folks,

Ill preface this noting the fact that I reached out to Burke whistles first but haven't heard back yet so I figured I'd write my question here in case someone else has the information.

Question:
Has anyone been able to order a pitch lower than mezzo G but higher than Low D in Brass? In the available instruments on their site, the only low whistle available in Brass is the Low D, and the rest are in Aluminum. I have only brass whistles from Burke (including the low D) and was looking to possibly grab a Low E but didn't want to throw an aluminum one into the line up unless I had no choice.

As I indicated above, I have written them, but I'd like to see if anyone has actually managed to grab, say, a low F or Eb or whatnot in brass. The argument that weight makes producing lower pitches a challenge seems illogical considering the Low D viper exists (which I love).

I can only assume that their lack of inventory of low whistles in brass is due to either complications in engineering, or a lack of customer demand (ie- f customers want low keys of less common pitches in brass that they simply won't stock them)

I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts!
Roland of Gilead
Tell us something.: I make ceramic instruments called Ocarinas for a living but am also very fond of playing whistle and accordion for Irish traditional music

Re: Question Regarding Burke Low Whistles in Brass

Post by Roland of Gilead »

Still no response from the folks at Burke and no anecdotes from folks online. That doesn't really fill me with confidence that it'd be possible to order any F#, F, E or Eb whistles in brass from them, which is a shame.

Has no one ever seen a Brass Burke of those keys? If not then they must never have existed. Google yields nothing and I can't find any quotes to indicate why. Bummer
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I have never personally ever seen one of Mike's low whistles - in the keys that you desire - in brass. I have never seen them advertised on his website, in brass. This does not mean they have not existed, only that I have no personal knowledge of their existence. I am sorry that Mike has not answered your questions. He has always been forthcoming with answers to my questions and in discussions, both via email, and on the phone. I hope you are able to clear up the mystery.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

I’ve seen Low D in brass. Don’t have one. A local musician had a big bag of a Burke’s - his preferred instrument. That collection would be at least 20 years old… so can’t comment on current availability.

I think aluminium is preferred at that size because huge weight difference. I have Low F aluminium nice player even if very little use nowadays. The brass session D is my daily player.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

gbyrne wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:04 am I’ve seen Low D in brass. Don’t have one. A local musician had a big bag of a Burke’s - his preferred instrument. That collection would be at least 20 years old… so can’t comment on current availability.

I think aluminium is preferred at that size because huge weight difference. I have Low F aluminium nice player even if very little use nowadays. The brass session D is my daily player.
I have a brass low D Viper, as well, but the OP is asking about brass whistles in the keys of low F#, low F, low E, and low Eb.

This is why he specified lower than G but higher than low D. The brass Burke low Ds are commonly known, but I haven’t heard of anyone having a brass one in the aforementioned keys.