WTB: Reyburn brass low D with delrin head

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

WTB: Reyburn brass low D with delrin head

Post by stiofan »

I'm looking for a Reyburn low D with a brass body and delrin head. Ronaldo no longer makes the low D in brass, just aluminum alloy, which I'm sure makes for a top-notch whistle, but I think I'd prefer the warmer tone of a brass body, and I like the look of brass over aluminum. I'm not interested in the older models with the wooden head, just those with the delrin head. I've recently been talking with Ronaldo about the current alloy model, and may decide to go with it, but just thought I'd see if anyone has a brass Reyburn in decent condition that you might be willing to part with.
Cheers -
Stephen
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: WTB: Reyburn brass low D with delrin head

Post by Narzog »

The aluminum low D is excellent. It definitely takes a hard push in the upper second octave. But strongest low end of any low D I've played. And probobly the best tuning (mine is ET). Its like an air efficient Burke. If you order I'd recommend asking for ET tuning because by default he actually uses 'just' which is supposed to sound good but idk seems fishy to me when everything else uses ET.

There was a brass low d on the irish flute store for a while but its gone now. They still have the brass low F tho. That continually tempts me but I really like my MK F so I resist buying it haha.

Brass whistles are cooler than aluminum though. I have the Reyburn brass D/C set and the patina around the finger holes looks really cool. So hopefully you can find a person to sell the low D in brass.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Narzog wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:47 pm The aluminum low D is excellent. It definitely takes a hard push in the upper second octave. But strongest low end of any low D I've played. And probobly the best tuning (mine is ET). Its like an air efficient Burke. If you order I'd recommend asking for ET tuning because by default he actually uses 'just' which is supposed to sound good but idk seems fishy to me when everything else uses ET.
Thanks for the input on the ET vs JT option. If I end up ordering one directly from Ronaldo, I'll consider that for sure.
the1highlander
Tell us something.: I am an old timer who used to play electric bass in church, but due to an auto accident which injured my back and ripped the left rotator cuff, I can no longer play bass. About three years ago I began playing cheap penny whistles (after trying a panflute) and was hooked. I have owned Dixon plastic low d, Susatos, Alba low d, Reyburn low d, and now a Kerry Optima which I love.

Post by the1highlander »

Have you found a brass Reyburn low D whistle yet?
the1highlander
Tell us something.: I am an old timer who used to play electric bass in church, but due to an auto accident which injured my back and ripped the left rotator cuff, I can no longer play bass. About three years ago I began playing cheap penny whistles (after trying a panflute) and was hooked. I have owned Dixon plastic low d, Susatos, Alba low d, Reyburn low d, and now a Kerry Optima which I love.

Post by the1highlander »

Stephen, have you found yourself a Reyburn low D yet?
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

the1highlander wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:17 pm Stephen, have you found yourself a Reyburn low D yet?
I ordered and received an alloy low D from Ronaldo last October, but returned it not long after playing it for a few weeks. It was an outstanding whistle, everything I've always heard about Reyburns, but I decided to (re)focus on the flute and already had a couple of other low D whistles. FWIW, I found the tone to be plenty 'warm' enough and for sure, it has a big, deep lower end. Might be worth trying the alloy model for yourself, with Ronaldo's 30-day return policy in mind.
barryanderson1952
Tell us something.: I am an old man playing low whistle for 20 years, great instrument. I need something to keep me alive. The whistles have that affect.

Post by barryanderson1952 »

I purchased the Reyburn years ago, had a wooden head with a brass body. It was a very smooth low whistle.

Mr. Anderson