Why F#?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Why F#?

Post by Nanohedron »

GreenWood wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:37 am I ... just find the first couple of bars in whatever key and the rest tends to fit.
It's the way I largely tend to do things, too: Piece by piece, building up habit. But I repeat my assertion that this presupposes a general familiarity with the tune beforehand; you work out the finer details as you go.
GreenWood wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:37 am We are fortunate, before all anyone had was playing records at half speed.
Imagine, then, how it was for those of us who came before even that. This is not to advocate against technology; I think it's great. I do think, though, that people should remember that in all cases one thing doesn't change: You're using - and thus exercising - your mind. That's the thing.

You can indeed get to the point where you'll hear a new tune once or twice, and be able to play it through then and there. It may or may not stick with you, though. Repetition is a big part of the process for most of us. And that's how you'll sometimes find yourself playing a tune and wondering how you know it: the answer is that you've heard it many times already, and you've internalized it without intending to.
Narzog wrote:But for new players theres several issues.....
I don't want to sound dismissive, but forget that. Even the very best have all been there, starting from nothing and encountering difficulties like the rest of us. Think of it like climbing a mountain: knowing the direction is half the battle, but it doesn't get you there - only you can do the climbing for yourself, and that means resolutely taking that first step, and then the next, onward and upward. You already know the direction and the goal. The peripherals, like getting your boots on, or dressing for the weather, or setting up base camp, or getting around a boulder, or scraping your knee, or fatigue, are the several issues. Those several issues matter in their time, and it is right to deal with them, but don't simply dwell on them as obstacles; they are, indeed, opportunities for knowledge and greater skill. The outcome depends entirely on your force of will.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:14 pm I don't want to sound dismissive, but forget that. Even the very best have all been there, starting from nothing and encountering difficulties like the rest of us. Think of it like climbing a mountain: knowing the direction is half the battle, but it doesn't get you there - only you can do the climbing for yourself, and that means resolutely taking that first step, and then the next, onward and upward. You already know the direction and the goal. The peripherals, like getting your boots on, or dressing for the weather, or setting up base camp, or getting around a boulder, or scraping your knee, or fatigue, are the several issues. Those several issues matter in their time, and it is right to deal with them, but don't simply dwell on them as obstacles; they are, indeed, opportunities for knowledge and greater skill. The outcome depends entirely on your force of will.
You sound like a NOLS course grad. Or maybe Outward Bound.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:30 pm You sound like a NOLS course grad. Or maybe Outward Bound.
Heh. I'm none of those, but we all have the general idea. I was going for drama, Loren. Drama. More impact than the analogy of frying an egg. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

oleorezinator wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:10 pm https://youtu.be/kHMrLpDHXc0
"I'm a stranger here myself." My favorite line.

Could've done without the prostate ad, though...

Alaskamike, did you get your F# question cleared up?
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

Thanks for all of the replies. Most of them went way over my head, but I think I get the gist of it. I've got a lot to learn!
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:38 pm
oleorezinator wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:10 pm https://youtu.be/kHMrLpDHXc0
"I'm a stranger here myself." My favorite line.
“Coconut Manor no snow no ice!
Ice!...Where did you get it?....
Oh you want some.....
Well this is Coconut Manor no snow no ice!“
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa