WTB - Bb whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sponge
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WTB - Bb whistle

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

I am need of a good Bb whistle, I'm based in the UK, but have no problem with buying from overseas, well other than the crazy VAT and Duty charges, but that's Life.
so am particulary interested in a Sindt, or an Abell, or similar, let me know if you have a Bb you are willing to sell, also have a reasonable budget, so not after a cheapo

thanks Sponge
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: WTB - Bb whistle

Post by pancelticpiper »

I had a Sindt Bb, but in truth as good as it was I preferred my Jerry Freeman Generation Bb just a tad more.

And the Freeman is a fraction of the price.

My Freeman Bb isn't for sale (it's the best Bb I've ever played) but it might be worthwhile to consider casting your net a bit wider, to include the Freeman.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
sponge

Post by sponge »

Hi pancelticpiper, I have an old Gen Bb, which is very chiffy, well extremely chiffy, so I did consider one of Jerry's, but bigwhistle in the UK has not had them for a while.
So I thought I'd try my luck at tempting someone to sell a used hand made model, but like most things, when the budget is good to go, the instruments are in short supply,

The search continues, thanks for the advice though

Sponge
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

I got one from here - Erne music supplies looks like a Killarney rip off, but it is pretty sturdy.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of flute.

Post by Narzog »

I've been thinking about the topic of cheap vs high end a lot. I bought a Burke A recently to compare it to the ones I've made. And then I bought a nightingale A to compare to my Burke. And both have pros and cons. My general thought is that while what people like is preference, the high end makers are great at doing their specific traits, and usually have more time put into fine tuning their recipe. My nightingale really isnt bad. But the headpiece is made for a B or Bb. On the A its way too soft blowing, and the G would be even softer. I can easily see each Nightingale key playing differently (the mouth piece isnt different for each key). Where Burke Goldie and MK I believe are more consistent across keys, because each one is a fine tuned recipe. This is one of the things you pay for from high cost makers. Is it worth it, depends.

And another thing I've noticed, is that I've seen tons of people who have tried many whistle makers, settle on the same few, like Goldie, MK or Burke (for low whistles, high whistles add in Sindt and Killarney). One would think that if so many people have tried multiple and settle on these, it means they do better at what they do than the competition. Maybe only by a small margin, but if money isnt a factor, 1% better is still better.

But the fact that I'm still trying to decide which one to keep is a great point for keeping lower cost options in mind. If it plays how you want, it doesnt matter how much it costs. The $70 Nightingale still has some benefits over the $280 Burke (I'd say the Burke has more total benefits but my point is the nightingale still ahs some of its own).

My abridged 2 cents, is that getting a high end whistle is totally fine, if it has the traits you want, or at least has the most things you like. Finding the 'perfect' one seems really hard. But if your perfect whistle is cheaper, go with that one.

And on a related topic, you could give your whistle preferences and we could give opinions on what you are most likely to like. But preference can always change. Nothing gives better information than trying one out. worst case scenario you sell it. Which was my plan when I bought mine haha.
Last edited by Narzog on Mon May 03, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

BigDavy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 pmlooks like a Killarney rip off
Oh, the irony ....
Loren
Tell us something.: Really, I have to write a sentence in order to update my profile?? And then not enough characters, (bleep) rediculous.

Post by Loren »

ecadre wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:57 pm
BigDavy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:17 pmlooks like a Killarney rip off
Oh, the irony ....
:lol:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I got one from here - Erne music supplies
That particular bandwagon must be creaking at the seams at this point. Every man and his dog seem to be at it. In all fairness, and all irony aside, they look well made and priced reasonably enough, aside from the postage from the UK. My son will be in Enniskillen tomorrow and he may have a look for me although I told him I don't need a Bb whistle and am well enough set up for the few other keys I do need.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Looks like the ususal Sindt-rip-offs. Mine (will not mention names, last time the makers even bothered to contact me by email -- not to my amusement) still smells like gasoline (the pouch stank even worse), the material of the head was certainly not delrin and the tube had scratches all over. Tuning and playing was okay though. The "crafsmanship", if you can even call it that, left a lot to be desired. And I'll never stick this smelly mouthpiece in my mouth again. It dropped to the floor anyway and the plastic part split. Never bothered to repair it.