piper's grip is bad?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

piper's grip is bad?

Post by michael_coleman »

It seems to be a common sentiment around here that having to use piper's grip on a whistle makes the whistle less attractive (ie makes the whistle less appealing to get). With the few pipes lessons I got a while back I was told from my teacher that they use the grip they do not only because of the stretch, but because they could play quicker with less movement. I have found this to be the case when I try playing my kerry low d (yes I know the span is huge and the holes are massive and this may sway my opinion), if I play with my finger tips I can't play as quickly and my hands get tired quicker. I am sure it doesn't matter too much because most Low whistles are played on slow pieces like airs or maybe carolans. I can play about any tune at about any speed using piper's grip. Maybe we play these slow pieces on the low whistle because we can't move our fingers as quickly to play a fast jig. This may be a hasty generalization (damn fallacies), but what do you guys think?

Is the whistle less attractive if one has to use piper's grip? Why is this; because we have to learn to play another way? Ahh the mystery of the whistle.
Last edited by michael_coleman on Fri May 09, 2003 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by herbivore12 »

I don't know that the "piper's grip is bad" sentiment is common here at all; in fact, I'd wager that a large percentage, and possibly the majority, of good whistle players use the grip on their low whistles.

I find the piper's grip much more comfortable, and can play low whistles much faster using it. I can't see covering the holes on some whistles with your fingertips, both due to their size and to the distance between them. It takes very little time (IME) to get used to the grip, and once you've got it, you can play your jigs and reels at full speed on a low whistle, too.

Low Whistles -- They're Not Just For Airs Anymore.
cramer

Post by cramer »

i have never heard anything negative about the piper's grip. to me it is essential part of playing the whistle. i could never play my low d without it. as far as making the whistle less attractive, i am not worried about how i look or how the whistle looks, i am concerned with how i sound. and it's a good thing too, because people tell me i make these funny faces and sway my head and i do this strange dance when i play.

c r a m e r
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Looks are subjective anyway... The "Low Whistle Book", admittedly the best resource for learning the low whistle, absolutely recommends the piper's grip. It is actually the very first thing you learn in the book. As far as aesthetics are concerned, none of the many pictures of players in the book look awkward.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

It only makes a whistle less appealing to people with small hands (a legitimate reason, I'm not picking on you guys) or those who can't let go of the fingers-arched approach (I AM picking on you guys! :poke: ).
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Who cares about looks? You should play the way that works best for you, personally.

I planned to use piper's grip with my Dixon Low D Duo - I just found that the finger hole size and spacing was such that I can play better using something closer to my standard tinwhistle grip (I do a slightly modified piper's grip for R1, but R2 and R3 are standard fingerpad grip). However I have fairly broad palms, so for me standard whistle grip on the Dixon feels comfortable.

But I still try to practice with piper's grip too - I know I'll need it if I ever get something like a Howard. Heck, you almost need to use piper's grip to reach the R3 hole on a Sweetone or Meg C! :twisted:
Otter

Post by Otter »

I agree with Pat about the hand size but I would add more specially the length of the little finger.
I bought a Goldie D/C whistle a while back and in order to play in C you have to cover the bottom 7th hole with your little finger. The only way I could do that was with a pipers grip. It was fairly easy so I tried the grip on regular High Ds and it really was easier to play faster that way.
Now, breaking the habit to play with your finger tips is another struggle...

Sibyle (aka Otter)
lixnaw

piper's grip is bad ?

Post by lixnaw »

i believe the piper's grip is the most natural grip for whistling.
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

Michael,

I think the most common context I've heard piper's grip on the board is to beginners (i.e., "I have small hands and can still get by on such-and-such-a-low-d without piper's grip"). In retrospect, that could be seen as being anti-piper's grip -- although I think it's been meant more as a way for newbies to experience the low d w/o learning a new style of fingering.

Anyway, I hope that helps. And I agree with you on the utility of piper's grip. I have a Kerry low d as well. Piper's grip is easier, keeps my fingers from cramping, and I don't think it looks bad.

In fact, I was mesmerized the first time I saw Davy Spillane playing on Riverdance. Uh-oh! I mentioned him! Must be why I don't get invited to the chat room. Darn. :D

Best,

Little John
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I ONLY use piper's grip. On everything, high D , low D, whatever I've got in between. Of course, I must say, I was piping before I was whistling so I guess that's why. I don't think I COULD play with fingertips, it seems harder to me...
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
QRS

RE

Post by QRS »

I have tried the pipers grip a few times, but it does not really suit me. I have no reason to say it is better/worse than any other grip though :)

As long as I can get a decent tone, and play the tunes as I want I´m satisfied :D
QRS
Phil Hardy

Pipers Grip on Low Whistles.

Post by Phil Hardy »

The whole point of using pipers grip is that you can play at any speed with ease.I find it easier to play a speed on a low whistle with PG than with fingertips on a soprano whistle.My students say that it looks effortless,and so it is.Take the time to learn,it feels much more comfortable once you are used to it.The low whistle is a fabulous instrumaent and definatly NOT only for slow music.
Phil
Pan

Post by Pan »

QRS,

you don´t happen to be involved in the speaker brand QRS???

Anyway, pipers grip is a given thing for me on Low D and IRISH FLUTE.
Playing my Abell A I use the tips for the first hand and pipers grip on the remote hand.

High D I use the tip of my fingers, but I actually started out with straight fingers/pipers grip on the high D, and switched to tips after a month or so.

/Peter
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

I also use a piper's grip not knowing what is the proper method for tinwhistles.That is from my experience as a keyboard player.

I am waiting for the day when Boehm system Low D/C comes into existence. :lol:
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

At risk of taking some flak. I never use pipers grip, but on low D/C/Bb.
I do play the last hole with my pinkie.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&