What's your favorite IrishT polka?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

What's your favorite IrishT polka?

Post by LimuHead »

I have several polkas that have been running through my head lately:

- Britches full of stitches

- Ballydesmond 1 & 2

- Din Tarrant's

- Ger the Rigger

It seems to me that polkas take a backseat to jigs, hornpipes, and reels, which is a shame because they're sooooo much fun to play.....

What other Irish polkas would you recommend?
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lollycross »

I love playing Polka's too. I think folks are afraid of them from
remembering having to play accordians as kids. But, Polkas ARE
fun to ply, and everyone should try them all!
Lolly
Rando7

Post by Rando7 »

John Ryan's Polka is fun and pretty easy to play on the whistle.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

The Scartaglen Polka
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'd vote for Ballydesmond's #1 closely followed by Britches full of stiches.

Polkas are a blast to play.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Looks like my favorites are nearly everybody's...Ballydesmond 1 and Britches Full of Stitches. I like polkas...somehow they seem more "intuitive" to me than reels.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I learned Morris Manley's Polka from the L E McCollouch book. Then I learned Ballydesmond 2 from my teacher and it was the same polka. I liked it both times I learned it.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Sun May 04, 2003 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

There are some very nice polkas played on Kevin Burke's first Open House album. I don't know the names and I kind of think that he and Mark Graham made them up. All of the Ballydesond polkas that I've heard are very nice but I've never learned any of them. My favorite polka to play is Riding on a Load of Hay which is on Liz Carroll's first recording. Incidentally, there was an interview with Liz Carroll in a recent Sing Out. She was talking about bad gigs. One was playing in a hardware store in a Polish section of Chicago while the Energizer bunny was dancing with bad timing.

Steve
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Thanks for the recommendations! I've already 'googled' and printed The Scartaglen Polka, Riding on a load of Hay, and John Ryan's Polka.

The Whistle shop said that my L.E. McCollouch book is in the mail. Whoohoo more polkas on the way!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi,
have you see the book "110 Irelands best Polkas and Slides"? you can get a double CD to go with it. It's one of a series from Waltons, the others being 110 Fiddle Tunes, 110 Session Tunes, 110 Tin Whistle Tunes and 110 Slow Airs.

Cheers, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Here's a convenient source for three Ballydesmonds all together.

http://www.celticmusic.com/cgi-localbin/tunes.pl

Steve
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

And here I was, thinking that there was just one polka that everyone plays, and then you come along and tell me that I've been hearing more than one?!?!
Oh man, this is almost as bad as finding out that the Frickin' Recorder was actually a whistle.
Chris
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Once in a while, I play a very nice polka. I think it's called "The Last Chance" polka. I learned it from a great fellow in Ireland almost two years ago ;-)
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Call me weird (I know my fellow musicians do!) but I just LOVE every single Irish polka I've ever heard, and I would be unable to choose just one as my favorite. :D
LimuHead

Post by LimuHead »

It's nice not to feel like the only one in the world who likes to play Irish polkas!

Azalin, I couldn't find The Last Chance polka through Google. Any clues where I might find the sheet music or a recording of it?

MacEachain, I am familiar with that book. Do you have the CDs? If so, are they listen-worthy or are they more instructional?