WHISTLE/CELTIC COMMUNITY

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pthouron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

WHISTLE/CELTIC COMMUNITY

Post by pthouron »

I don't want to get all romantic and gushy on you guys, but after a week or so on this Board, I'd like to share a few observations on the whistling (and more generally "celtic") community.

I am fairly new to this style: I starting really listening last January, and playing only a few weeks ago. But I have been in music for a long time, once professionally and now only recreationally. What struck me immediately is how kind and spontaneous this community is. I mean, you people are REALLY nice. And I don't mean just the amateurs, but the professionals and the makers as well.

In a previous life, I got to meet and deal with a variety of notorious people in pop, rock and jazz. There definitely always was a barrier, an "attitude", a distance. But when I first got interested in Celtic music and whistles, I was "bold" enough to contact directly some established artists to "chat" (mostly electronically). To my amazement, they not only answered, but in most cases were very helpful and responsive.
Same applies to this board...

You people really know how t make a "newbie" feel welcome and comfortable.

There, I just wanted you to know that!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
Jack

Post by Jack »

:)

I agree. It's my observation that whistle people are the kindest, most generous, least stand-offish of any people I know. And I'm also very thankful for that.
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

Yea! Where would we get great whistles at low resale prices, if it weren't for the nice people on this board? ;)

Seriously though, I agree! I've never "met" such an open, friendly community as you folks. I'd like to thank you all too. :)
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Just my 2 cents worth, but I can see a couple of reasons for this:

The first is that rock/pop album sales happen because you like the tunes and because of radio exposure. Celtic album sales happen because you like the artists and because of Internet exposure. Thus, it's just plain good business sense for a Celtic artist to be friendly and helpful.

The second is that if you are a budding rock/pop musician, established entities often view you as unwelcome competition for the CD buyer's limited cash flow. If you are a budding Celtic musician, it's more like "welcome to our family, and if there's any way we can help you develop your skills, we'll do it any way we can".
Hoed

Post by Hoed »

I totally agree with you all! It's a pleasure reading posts on this forum. Everyone is responding as nice and as honest as they can.

I think it's great to share your stories and questions with more skilled whistlers and even with whistle-makers! It's truely amazing to read posts from the people you admire from the whistles they make!

Althought I don't post very often here, I really read a lot. Everytime I come here I learn something new. Amazing...
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hoed wrote: I think it's great to share your stories and questions with more skilled whistlers and even with whistle-makers! It's truely amazing to read posts from the people you admire from the whistles they make!

Watch out for those whistlemakers!! They are a surly bunch....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Glad you are here. There has always been a feeling
shared widely, if not universally, that newbies
are especially important here. A lot of this
is a reflection of Dale's personality, too. Best
Steven

Post by Steven »

BrassBlower wrote:Just my 2 cents worth, but I can see a couple of reasons for this:

The first is that rock/pop album sales happen because you like the tunes and because of radio exposure. Celtic album sales happen because you like the artists and because of Internet exposure. Thus, it's just plain good business sense for a Celtic artist to be friendly and helpful.

The second is that if you are a budding rock/pop musician, established entities often view you as unwelcome competition for the CD buyer's limited cash flow. If you are a budding Celtic musician, it's more like "welcome to our family, and if there's any way we can help you develop your skills, we'll do it any way we can".
I think there's another reason as well. When you gain fame in the rock/pop world, it's a huge thing, with everybody trying to get into every aspect of your life and trying to get something from you. You get completely overwhelmed, so I'm sure there's a need to stand back a little just to have a little bit of privacy and a little bit of your own life.

Gaining fame in Celtic music is a much smaller thing, so those people are still able to be their own friendly selves and enjoy their fans without fear.

As to the main point of this thread, I of course have to agree. This is a good bunch of folks. Even when people do start fighting, I'd rather associate with you people than with most of the folks I see on the street.

:-)
Steven
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

jim stone wrote:Glad you are here. There has always been a feeling
shared widely, if not universally, that newbies
are especially important here. A lot of this
is a reflection of Dale's personality, too. Best
Agree 100%. Even though he did rob us of the pleasure of seeing him with a wig on this Board!... :D
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I think whistles bring out the fun in us; it's hard to take yourself seriously playing a whistle, or get taken seriously by others - not that we'd want to be!

As a result, a community of whistlers attracts people who are fun & lively*, reflecting the nature of the whistle. We're not afraid to let out the kid inside.

*Except for Bloomfield who is just a freak.
madguy

Post by madguy »

Amen to that, Martin!
As for myself, I refuse to grow up!!! :lol:

~Larry
Jack

Post by Jack »

I agree, too. When was the last time you saw a dark, gloomy sad whistler? (Don't confuse that with insane.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cranberry wrote:I agree, too. When was the last time you saw a dark, gloomy sad whistler? (Don't confuse that with insane.)
....Wasn't that when you couldn't find your Sweetheart's head? :lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I agree, too. When was the last time you saw a dark, gloomy sad whistler? (Don't confuse that with insane.)
....Wasn't that when you couldn't find your Sweetheart's head? :lol:
Shut up.

;-)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

:D