Why I love the whistle.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Why I love the whistle.

Post by awildman »

This instrument is amazing in its simplicity, and because of its simplicity. As a very average musician who has health problems, I had to basically quit fiddle for awhile. Fiddle is my first love, and has amazing depth and versatility. However, it is a very demanding instrument, and my body just doesn't want to cooperate. I had a hard time getting my fingers to cooperate when a lot of finesse was needed- rolls, rapid string crossings etc. As such, I had to dumb down the music; I can hear what I want to do, I am just physically unable. I played for 10 years, and just never got over the hump to get to what I consider an acceptable level of playing.

After I passed the bereavement stage, I started seriously tackling the whistle. What I found was absolutely amazing! This instrument is so simple that I could stop worrying about the mechanics of playing and just play. I can play faster, learn techniques much faster and pick up tunes incredibly fast. I just learned 4 slides and a reel in a couple hours. Not only that, but I have a more complete understanding of how the music is structured, mainly how the rhythm is created/ enhanced with the articulations. (Understanding how the music stems back to wind instruments is really cool) I understood academically what a roll or bowed treble was for previously, but didn't fully realize and internalize it until the whistle.

I am so thankful that such an instrument is availabe so I can play the music I love, and that I can learn so much from a 9 inch tube of brass.
Chifmunk
Tell us something.: Hi, I play 5-string banjo, mountain dulcimer, bones, and am now a beginner pennywhistler. I have some Dixon, Freeman, and Susato whistles. This is obviously the most extensive forum for information in whistle learning- thanks!
I also run a mountain dulcimer social site at: fotmd.com

Re: Why I love the whistle.

Post by Chifmunk »

Hey this is my very first post here, just joined a few days ago, and your post expresses exactly what i've been feeling upon taking up the whistle for the first time. I've been playing only a couple of months now and never played any wind instrument before- just banjo and mountain dulcimer and dabbling in some others...but no wind/flutes/whistles.
Other instruments have taken me quite long amounts of time to get through the initial 'wall of screech' etc. But with the whistle it's just so rewarding to be able to actually produce sweet tones and simple tunes in such a short time.
I'm just so in love with this simple but beautiful instrument. Thank you for posting your feelings about it.
Having FUN playin' my whistles!
http://pennywhistleclub.com/
...a new social network just for whistlers
awildman

Post by awildman »

Don't discount your past musical expedience. Everything you've done before contributes to success on a new instrument. I wouldn't be nearly as far along on whistle without my past fiddle experiences.

Even though I still have my struggles with breathing, I feel that for me, breathing is more intuitive than bowing or plucking something. Breathing is part of our core, and producing sound via a natural process makes the playing more natural (easier). Others may feel differently, but it makes sense to me that a lot of people would feel the same.

And welcome to the forum!
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

I love playing the whistle. It's the most inexpensive instrument that delivers the most music. And you can keep it in your car and play during the red lights!
http://www.LaurelEmrys.com
FUSIONIX: world peace jazz fusion band
"Local sounds from out there"
jbowen507

Post by jbowen507 »

The other day when I was playing at a red light, a car honked at me. When I looked over, the driver gave a big 'ole thumbs up.
awildman

Post by awildman »

I used to play at red lights, but rarely do anymore. I don't feel it is very safe. I am much less aware of what goes on around me. Just as distracting as a cell phone for me.
calanthrophy

Post by calanthrophy »

Emrys wrote:I love playing the whistle. It's the most inexpensive instrument that delivers the most music. And you can keep it in your car and play during the red lights!
It starts out inexpensive, but as time goes on...
My acoustic recordings (with whistles, of course):
https://soundcloud.com/jake_thiele
Words I write:
http://jakeisalwaysright.blogspot.com
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I love the sweet tweets!