Syn Mid Range

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
syn whistles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Syn Mid Range

Post by syn whistles »

Finished at last! (Nearly) At last the head dimensions are determined, the relevant production templates are finished, and the first few have made it to light of day. All that remains is to transfer the finger hole placements to templates so the bodies can be milled, rather than drilled, a bit of etching and Bob's your father's brother.

Currently, the keys available are high Bb and A with low G and F. More keys will be added as demand dictates.

I will be at Maldon Folk Festival this weekend, I will have the new whistles with me and look forward to seeing them get a workout!
See you there!
So good it has to be a SYN!
Mladen

Re: Syn Mid Range

Post by Mladen »

Wow, nice! :thumbsup:
Being a huge fan of your whistle set, I'd like to know if they would be available as a set or just individually.
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
ZeeCount

Post by ZeeCount »

Looking great Erle! Are they ready for order yet?

I can't wait to complete my set, as I have a High C/D and Low D, and love them all.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Mladen wrote:Wow, nice! :thumbsup:
Being a huge fan of your whistle set, I'd like to know if they would be available as a set or just individually.
Either way Mladen. Once again the heads will be the expensive part so I suppose it will depend on how deep your pocket is. With the head being Delrin, fitting body tubes is much easier and retrofitting extra bodies will not be the hassle of fitting brass/brass tuning slides. :)
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

ZeeCount wrote:Looking great Erle! Are they ready for order yet?

I can't wait to complete my set, as I have a High C/D and Low D, and love them all.
Give me a couple of weeks ZeeCount. I work better when I have the goods ready to put together and go. :thumbsup: I don't work well with the pressure of orders hanging over me. :o
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Very nice looking. I was able to buy one of your low D whistles in the United States and have been very pleased. Will you eventually have the new whistles available from here in the U.S.?
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

swizzlestick wrote:Very nice looking. I was able to buy one of your low D whistles in the United States and have been very pleased. Will you eventually have the new whistles available from here in the U.S.?
I certainly hope so. Keep an eye on the Irish Flute Store in the USA and Big Whistle in Europe. I will keep the market informed. :thumbsup:
Mladen

Post by Mladen »

syn whistles wrote:
Mladen wrote:Wow, nice! :thumbsup:
Either way Mladen. Once again the heads will be the expensive part so I suppose it will depend on how deep your pocket is. With the head being Delrin, fitting body tubes is much easier and retrofitting extra bodies will not be the hassle of fitting brass/brass tuning slides. :)
If the tonal characteristics, tuning and playability are like those of your high whistles, you will soon hear from me with an order! :)
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
luukzs

Post by luukzs »

They look amazing Erle! good to see you do more!

quick question. I assume the heads/bodies are not compatible wit the High range syns?
And what will the approximatie prices be for the new ones?

Cheers and hope to be playing them soon!
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

I have just this morning tucked the last of the first batch into their little sleeping bags.
With a few on hand to play with I have formed a better idea about how they perform. For myself, i'd describe them as fitting sort of mid-way between the high range and the low D's. Fair volume and reasonably clean but with that cosmic drainpipe thing more obvious in the upper octave, especially on the shorter bodies. I imagine there will be other more objective reviews in time.
Cost? In the range US$80 for the heads and then $20 for each body. I'm not sure what demand there will be for different keys so there aren't any set combo's to choose from at the moment, but with the different head/tuning arrangement it is much easier to fit new bodies than with the high range and their brass tuning slides that require much more accuracy. I haven't ventured into F# or G# bodies yet, I wonder if there is any demand for those keys?
Anybody interested in a pre-christmas, introductory, never to be repeated, while stocks last, one only per buyer, special deal can get in touch by pm or email and I'll see what I can do with what I have on hand.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

These are looking exceptional Erle!

Couldn't make Maldon this year- just too far for me atm.

I am looking forward to meeting up at one of the closer fests in the new year.
It would be great to try out these new beauties!

Which ones are you likely to be at?
Only one I am booked for is Gulgong over NYE, but there's a lot after that!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com