Bb Susato Oriole Head On Generation Body.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sink My Boats
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bb Susato Oriole Head On Generation Body.

Post by Sink My Boats »

Will this work?

I don't have the Oriole yet but don't want to buy one until I know it will fit on the Gen tube okay.
Crash My Plane
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Bb Susato Oriole Head On Generation Body.

Post by Peter Duggan »

No, it won't work (at least not without substantial modification)...

The Oriole head (note it's a standard head for the Bb, C, D and Eb whistles, not a 'Bb head') is a very loose fit on a Generation Bb tube, which would need taping to take up the slack. It's also got a much shorter socket, meaning you'd need to cut the top of the tube to restore an acceptable playing length. But why when the Oriole's a lovely Bb whistle in its own right and it's difficult to see what you'd gain from the Gen tube?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Sink My Boats

Post by Sink My Boats »

Peter Duggan wrote:No, it won't work (at least not without substantial modification)
Thanks.
Peter Duggan wrote:The Oriole head (note it's a standard head for the Bb, C, D and Eb whistles, not a 'Bb head')

Okay.
Peter Duggan wrote:But why when the Oriole's a lovely Bb whistle in its own right and it's difficult to see what you'd gain from the Gen tube?
Personal preferences.
Crash My Plane
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

For the record, it would take a tube of precisely .625 inches to very snugly fit into an Oriole head. K & S brass makes a thin-wall brass tube of this spec. You would have to allow for the smaller chimney height from the standard Susato layout if you elect to make a custom tube.

G'luck,
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Welcome to C&F, Sink My Boats.

Clearly the SMB is looking for a brass/metal body for their Frankenwhistle whistle. Bob's right with the suggestion of K&S for brass tubes. But just for the record as well, 1/2" CTS CPVC pipe, the ivory colored stuff, is also a very good fit for the Oriole head having a .625" o.d. as well if you are making custom whistle bodies.

And just to expand the record further, since CTS (copper tubing size) CPVC pipe is sized to match the o.d. of copper pipe, you should be able to find copper pipe to fit as well. Should be nominal 1/2" pipe size in the various wall thicknesses.

So that should allow for a good selection of tubing with differing bore diameters for making different whistle keys.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Sink My Boats

Post by Sink My Boats »

Thanks for the replies (and the welcome Feadoggie)

Although I like a plastic or delrin mouthpiece (no warming up, don't like metal in mouth) I don't care for plastic tubes (especially when they are the hideous mud brown of the Oriole) quite happy with the bog standard nickel Generation tube, was simply hoping the Oriole mouthpiece (bearing in mind 90% of the tone & volume comes from the mouthpiece?) would give me a little more volume and different tone to play with.
Crash My Plane