Does SIZE matter?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zubivka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zubivka »

Just thought, some--especially Daniel, I guess--might like a close look to the keywork.
I like this simple straightforward approach, especially obvious for the left hand.

Note also the end is stoppered and vented, so it can rest on the ground.
markv

Post by markv »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:Hi Mark

In both cases you stated, the answer is excessive bore diameter,not voicing design. Most N/A flutes and organ pipes have oversized internal bores that prohibit or restrict harmonic overblowing.

A rough minimum ratio of borelength to diameter between 1/26 to 1/40 is needed to overblow harmonic registers. If the bore diameter is larger, the instrument will not have enough acoustic energy to produce harmonic overtones
That makes perfect sense and I suspected that was what it was. Nice to have confirmation from a pro. :wink:

Mark V.
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
serpent

Wind power

Post by serpent »

Serpent has no intention of participating in such travesties of whistlemaking!! :D However, one thing I thought might be of use to you travestites, would be the strange device invented, I think, by one Daniel Bingamon, the "Bagwhistle". Seems to me that you could use a ported bag to augment your windpower when blowing your perverted (oops! that be "inverted!" :D ) UltraKontraBass modified origamipipe monstrosities!

O. M. G. I just re-read that, and discovered that my daily dose of Zoobster-isms have taken their toll on my ability to clearly express myself. :o
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Strange Devices!? This is only the beginning.
Thomas-Hastay
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Serpent

I hope you don't mind some "clarification" on the origin of the <b>Bag-powered flue pipes</b>. The Credit for this device goes to Ctesibius (<i>pronounced ste-SEE-bee-oos</i>) of 250 BC. His original design for a bag/wind chamber attached to flue pipes was housed in the<b> Library of Alexandria</b> that was burned in the Arab invasion of 646 AD. Copies were safely installed in Contantinople,Damascus and Bagdad though.

Older evidence for this <b>Public-Domain Instrument</b> are the tera-cotta figurines of Ptolomy the VIII(300 BC) depicting a panpiper with a bag-powered flue pipe(NOT reed pipe)drone and the Hittite bas-relief in the ancient city of Eyuk of 1300 BC depicting a bag and flue pipe chanter.

These instruments were documented by many Authors like Francis Collinson in"The History of Bagpipes", WM Gratton Flood "Story of the Bagpipe" and Anthony Baines "Bagpipes" and are the origin of the <b>Organ</b>.

I wouldn't want my friend Daniel Bingamon publicly humiliated by any claims that <i>He</i> invented this instrument 2,250 years after its origin. I'm sure he invented <i>his version</i> of it, but any other claim would be like Al Gore's "Invention of the Internet".

Daniel has been my friend and collegue for a decade and i'm just looking out for him. He has a good reputation as a woodwind designer and instrument maker and this is a Fragile thing. I hope you understand and take no offence.

Thomas Hastay.