Marking Alu Tubes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Marking Alu Tubes?

Post by hans »

What is a good way to mark aluminium tubes with the letter of it's key? How is it done on Overton whistles for instance? I have been engraving by hand, with a tool which has a point which hammers the metal, making small dots. Which sort of works but is very much handwritten. Not too good if the marking should be more visible....
Mr.Gumby

Re: Marking Alu Tubes?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would guess a number/letter punch like this would go a long way.
My brain hurts

Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

You should ask Marc Löfgren/Yellowhistler, his markings are neat and clear IMO.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I have two sets of letter/number punches in different sizes, a little different from what Peter linked to. Mine are simple punches, supply your own hammer. They work well enough on plastic, aluminum and wood. Just make sure you have a slug inside the tube before you make the impression. Simply striking the letter of the key is easy enough. Words and longer strings require a bit more skill. The price is right - cheap.

There are also commercial stamping presses that you could look into. They are basically specialized arbor presses. The used market is the way to go. They can be pricey otherwise. I don't know about you but I use a small press to insert pins in the heads on some of my whistles. I am sure one could also be used to mark the tubes as well.

The other option I would suggest to you is to have the tubes laser engraved. The beauty of laser marking is that you can print any image you can draw on your tubes. Now this may not be an option for you, might depend on what's close by. The cost of a laser engraving machine, even at the entry level, is pretty steep. But there are enterprising folks that have already made the investment and now are looking for work to pay off their machine. They can be your friend - for a small price. I have a shop (actually a couple) nearby that do laser engraving (and other engraving too) mostly for awards/trophies and such. They will do engraving by the piece. CNC engraving works too - same dance finding a provider. Laser engraving is common among pen turners around here. If that hobby has legs where you are, find a wood turning club locally and make inquiries with the members. Actually, look into the International Association of Pen Turners when you have some spare time. I find a lot of what they look to do and occasionally struggle with is similar to what flute and whistle makers sometimes wrestle with, although on a smaller scale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-u1x8RfvRg

We had a "Maker Fair" here recently and I was able to make contact with a lot of hobby cnc and 3d printing enthusiasts, as well as some pros. There were also artists and crafts people demonstrating their use of these technologies. Instrument making was the second most common use of technology, right behind jewekry making. A couple folks demonstrated home made laser marking machines too. These are basically desktop 3 and 4d milling machines with a laser head instead of a motorized cutter. And the local colleges and universities in the area were there as well. They are also promoting modern industrial technologies in their classwork. The local community college here rents out the equipment in their rapid prototyping lab by the hour - after you take a pre-requisite course, of course. You can get the use of a lot of this technologies for very little money that way. There is also a "Maker Studio" 20-25 miles from me where craftspeople can use their equipment by the hour as well. So go lift up some rocks in your area. You never know what you will find under one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggs7eU0zcyk

Even if high technolgy is not the answer to your immediate need, looking into it may give you some ideas that you can use later on.

I think Carey Parks also talks about engraving his whistles in one of his blog posts. So you might ask him how he goes about that.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

The first whistle I signed, numbered and labeled with the key was aluminum and was with a small rotary tool. That was in '98. I use the same tool on every whistle regardless of material. I have had complaints on every other aspect of my whistles but am still waiting for one on my signing technique.
Even then I probably will keep doing it the same way.
Mack
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Thank you so much for all your replies and very helpful suggestions!

I tried letter stamping, but find it is quite difficult to execute on a round tube, and the results were rather variable in quality. Maybe I need more practise... and most likely a better set of stamps. And How do you add "b" and "#" to mark for instance "Bb" or "C#"? Hand-making special stamps?

Seems a lot easier just to carry on with my Dremel handheld engraver...

There is much to think about and to investigate...
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Hello Hans
both stamps, Overton and Goldie Colin got made for him, it is one hard metal stamp. Over here small CNC or in our case an engraving company made the stamp and got it hardened.
Greetings
Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
hans

Post by hans »

Brigitte wrote:Hello Hans
both stamps, Overton and Goldie Colin got made for him, it is one hard metal stamp. Over here small CNC or in our case an engraving company made the stamp and got it hardened.
Greetings
Brigitte
thank you Brigitte! That surprises me, because the letters are quite deeply cut. I don't get that result by hammering a letter stamp. Do you use a press, or some heavy hammer?
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

It is a very well cut stamp and was hardened. He give it one hit with a hammer, looks quite effortless to me. If you have a design and want them to make you a stamp let us know and I send you the contact info and help with the translation if needed.
Greetings
Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
hans

Post by hans »

Brigitte wrote:It is a very well cut stamp and was hardened. He give it one hit with a hammer, looks quite effortless to me. If you have a design and want them to make you a stamp let us know and I send you the contact info and help with the translation if needed.
Greetings
Brigitte
Danke, Brigitte! I may get back to you about contact info. Übersetzungshilfe ist nicht erforderlich, danke, bin ja selber Deutscher, lebe aber nun schon mehr als mein halbes Leben im wild-schönen Schottland.
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I see something wonderfully ironic in this thread. Big bucks and euros for hand made penny whistles also known as tin whistles out of aluminum using power machines by Brits in Germany, Germans in Scotland, Americans of all mixes using wood, plastic, bamboo, cane and who knows what else and who else competing for international sales asking each other for advise and getting it instantly without even talking. And no need for a translator.
Mack: a simple country boy in Colorado
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

:tomato:
Hans, hatte ich voll vergessen :lol:

Viele Grüße
Brigitte
(Jean Claude Riber)
hans

Post by hans »

Mack.Hoover wrote:I see something wonderfully ironic in this thread. Big bucks and euros for hand made penny whistles also known as tin whistles out of aluminum using power machines by Brits in Germany, Germans in Scotland, Americans of all mixes using wood, plastic, bamboo, cane and who knows what else and who else competing for international sales asking each other for advise and getting it instantly without even talking. And no need for a translator.
Yes, there is some irony in it :) even though I do not see the big bucks :D
But I see a lot of helpful people and not so much competition, which is so refreshing! Probably explained by the difference of craftsmen and manufacturers.

Anyway, I may well be carrying on hand-engraving the key onto my whistles, as I do it on the back, and not in a prominent visible position. You've encouraged me.

But I have been making a tubular glockenspiel, with 38 alu pipes (3 octave range and all semi-tones), and for that it would be neat to have each pipe marked neatly near the end, as it will be visible. But I know, if I would be using stamps, I would need to develop some skill for that first.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hans wrote:But I have been making a tubular glockenspiel, with 38 alu pipes (3 octave range and all semi-tones), and for that it would be neat to have each pipe marked neatly near the end, as it will be visible. But I know, if I would be using stamps, I would need to develop some skill for that first.
Hans, a simple jig to position the stamp(s) at the right spot on the tubes might be enough to do a neat job of it.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Mack.Hoover wrote:I see something wonderfully ironic in this thread. Big bucks and euros for hand made penny whistles also known as tin whistles out of aluminum using power machines by Brits in Germany, Germans in Scotland, Americans of all mixes using wood, plastic, bamboo, cane and who knows what else and who else competing for international sales asking each other for advise and getting it instantly without even talking. And no need for a translator.
When you're in Hong Kong and want a suit, you don't go to a tailor, you go to the street of tailors. You walk up and down until you find what you want. C&F is our own street of tailors.
So good it has to be a SYN!